• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

Marisha got her visa. She is coming home

So pleased for you MD. Safe journey for her and both keep safe 

Glad to hear the  news MD. Give us a yell when she's back and we'll have a welcome home drink for you both.

Good luck and take care. Barrie.

Really pleased for you MD.

Wishing you both well.

Really great news MD it will be so good to be back together again. Keep each other safe.

Things have worsened with metropolitan Melbourne being put under stage four restrictions and the rest of the state under stage three.

The continuing high infection rates where the source cannot be determined and behavior of some individuals and groups has caused this response.

Effectively the new rules from 6:00pm on Sunday are

• A curfew will apply between 8:00pm and 5:00am for all except those going to and from work and certain exceptional circumstances
  • Only one person per household will be allowed to shop for food and necessary supplies but only within 5 kilometres of home or the nearest supermarket and only once per day
  • You can only exercise outside for one hour a day and not more than 5 km from home
  • No visitors in your homes
  • From Thursday wedding will be banned except for compassionate grounds
  • Organised sport is not allowed.

Now comes my political statement. 

The hard right of politics has spent years destroying full time jobs, off-shoring manufacturing and actively promoting the casualisation of the workforce. It is now coming back to haunt them. Many in the new economy have limited hours and others with zero hours contracts, these are the people who are now in part being "blamed". They who have no entitlements to annual leave, sick leave, no guarantee of on-going employment and face being dismissed for not turning up for work. So they either go to work with symptoms or whilst awaiting test results and risk spreading the virus. Unfortunately many are forced to go to work as they live pay day to pay day with almost no cash reserves. They have made a choice, go to work and provide food for the family to eat or stay at home and go hungry. What would you do?

The government has done a good job of arranging monetary relief but often the process takes too long before funds become available to individuals.

We are a long way from the end of this yet so take care everyone

The problem is that a majority of the people don’t appreciate the seriousness of the situation. The same thing could happen here the way people are ignoring the safety messages on a ‘can’t happen to me’ basis. The Government are between a rock and a hard place in trying to stimulate the economy whilst controlling the spread of the virus. Until we get a workable vaccine the situation will get worse and it will primarily be the fault of a large part of the population.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Not far short of Martial Law eh Oz?

Yes it is BK the Victorian Government has declared a "State of Disaster" to bring in the legislation that they say they need to combat certain behaviour

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Until we get a workable vaccine the situation will get worse and it will primarily be the fault of a large part of the population.

I agree totally but cannot help but think back to the early days of this pandemic when governments of both our countries put out the "message" that this was a disease of the old and vulnerable and how much that has influenced behavior, that and being "soft" on those that broke the lock-down rules

We have just heard that we have to still wear masks until 15 august in public places and where social distancing isn't possible.

239 new cases and 8 deaths (all in Lombardia).

We are trying to get it down to less but now and again the new cases increase but we are at a good point.

Could have dreamt it, cause I cannot remember the last time I heard or watched any news, someone must have told me? 

Boris asking/telling the over 50s to stay @ home? Yes please Boris Mrs Red & I will have some of that Boris, having both worked throughout the virus & have our jollies cancelled, while most tossed it off on furlough or self imposed spineless lockdown, watching everything on Netflix & cutting grass :Shock: Toodle-oo pip boots on.  

Many Facebook groups I belong to have lots of posts saying it should be the teens and young 'adults' who should stay at home, not the old and vulnerable!   Do you think that would be a better idea?  

Although how that could be enforced, I have no idea.  Impossible I reckon.

Margie the teens and young adults congregate in groups , the over 50's don't . They are in smaller groups and maybe more sensible. CV isn't particular, it infects where it's found.

MD. We are possibly coming up to Nottingham for the day on Wednesday 19th on our way to see my brother. .    Would you be in Nottingham then?  We were thinking of a socially distanced, bring your own picnic on Wollaton Park but that could possibly  be changed to Woodthorpe Park  if that would be more convenient for you.  One  or two other people might be interested..... 

Very glad to hear your news MD. I'm only sorry I can't get up to say hello in person. Please pass on our very best wishes, even though she's no idea who we are. So pleased for you mate. Take care. Kindest regards. B.

• Like 1

So pleased for you MD, I do hope you make it to Nottingham and it would be lovely to meet Marisha as we all know how much it means to you to have her home. Hugs from me.

• Like 1

Are the schools reopening on Wednesday in UK ? If so after the news I've just heard it's a bit risky with over 1000 new cases in 24 hrs. It's worrying for parents with small children as many will not be able to understand the importance of social distancing and mask wearing.  We had got down to 152 new cases and under 10 deaths. Every day since it's been going up in new cases then going down and up again. The other day we had  over 500 but today it's down again to 200+  Now we are worrying that people returning from holidays in Greece, Malta and Spain can increase new cases. There is a very serious control at airports for incoming flights. Even the illegal immigrants have received tests for CV and have brought an increase in cases. Some of the Tunisian s are being sent back to Tunisia all paid for by Italian govt. Fortunately none of those going back had CV.

Think the schools in Scotland are back in the next few days, England not until September. Surely the answer to opening them is to let teachers wear masks or face shields, if the powers that be want the kids to see the teachers faces, and older pupils the same if it makes them feel more confident and safer.
If you have to wear them in shops, libraries etc when you are mixing with other households what is the difference with that and a teacher who is in an enclosed space with 30 kids from 30 different households all facing towards them? 
Seems like common sense to me in the present situation.

The report saying no teacher has caught covoid19 from a pupil seems a bit suspect as it is seemingly based on the small bubbles that were in schools after lockdown and not the bigger bubbles that will be created when schools open again in September. Although I could be wrong on this but it is my understanding of it.

SG yes you are right it is Scotland that are opening their schools.Two weeks ago we had French/ Italian relatives who live in Scotland and I was surprised to hear they were starting back to school. The husband told me to not believe all that we hear which seemed strange to me. But still hope everything goes well.

The news said GB which had over 1000 new cases and I tend to think of Scotland still being part of U.K.