• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Agree PP, the testing is a shambles.  Roger landed in Kingston, Jamaica on 10th August, was there 2 weeks, he had the Covid swabs taken and had his temperature checked DOZENS of times whilst in the country and had to keep a record of these checks but he never did have contact with the Jamaican Dept of Health, other than any hour before he was due to leave his hotel to go to the airport to fly home. They emailed him to ask for a local telephone number as they were unable to call a UK number.  Still no call from them though.  He filled in an online form to show on arrival at Gatwick which was never asked for. He didn’t even have a temperature check on entering the UK.  
We have an employee we are sending to Cayman Islands for a contract.  When he arrives in Cayman he can either do 2 weeks quarantine or get fitted  with a tag which will constantly send temperature details to their Dept of Health.  Tag is obviously the preferred choice, seeing as he’s going there to work.

I heard yesterday that a friend of a friend came back from Spain and was required to quarantine.  This chap ignored the instruction and went to his office the following morning.  The police (or somebody) turned up and fined him £3,500 for breaking quarantine rules!  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

The whole testing programme is a shambles.

Not liking the sound of that, planning to book last minute 10 days in Cyprus next week, but you need to take virus check & result 72 hours before you fly? Plan B Greece if they will still let us in?

@radfordred  you’re determined to have a holiday this year aren’t you!  How many bookings and cancellations have you had already?

Hope this one will work out for you

Lizzie sounds like these checks are being serious. Quarantine means just that and whoever it was , was stupid to go against the regulations. sorry but served him right.

21 hours ago, MargieH said:

you’re determined to have a holiday this year

4 booked & 4 cancelled, once we where both classed as keyworker & told carry on working while most where feet up watching NetFlix, you can't now tell us to stay @ home?

Just finished my last shift for 2 weeks, hopefully will be somewhere horizontal in the sun :yahoo: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RR Hope it all works out for you and that you won’t have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks when you get back!

RR choose well with the options you have and you can't go wrong, but still be careful. Send us all a postcard.

I must agree. It will be with us until someone creates a vaccine. It will still be with us then. It will no more go away than German Measles, Whooping Cough, Chicken Pox etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look at some of the countries that have a less well informed peasant population and see how the pandemic is raging there. It’s only because people here, in the main, are behaving sensibly that we are managing to contain the outbreak. Even here, some people are becoming sloppy and the incidences are increasing.

• Like 3

Can anyone give me any advice on the situation up your neck of the woods.? We are due to come up to Thoresby hall, the second week of December. We're not planning to go into the city or anything like that and will stay away from trams etc. I realise North Notts is nowhere near the city but we're trying to get the lie of the land etc. Thanks in advance to anybody who has any sound advice. B.

Newark and Sherwood District has just been taken of the areas of concern. The only major outbreak recently was at a food factory in Newark who tend to employ cheap labour from the immigrant population who often live cheek by jowl. Thoresby is out in the sticks so you should be safe.

That has happened quite often in recent months.

The media give big headlines to the fact that an area/factory/pub/restaurant/etc etc has had a burst of outbreaks and everyone needs to isolate (which I don't disagree with). But then you never hear any more about those locations because the problem is sorted without any major drama, and everything goes back to normal. But the media never report that part of the story.

When it's not click-bait, they lose interest. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There are many unpleasant diseases that you don’t necessarily die from but it’s preferable not to suffer it in the first place. If you don’t die it’s possible to pass it on to some susceptible person who may. Cases are increasing so some people are taking a cavalier attitude to the situation.

• Like 2

RR may have a point. As we learn how to treat Covid death rates seem to have dropped dramatically.

The problem is the reporting. In my area we are told there are 5 per 100,000 which quite frankly tells us nothing and conflicts with most other figures. UK Gov site has different figures and is confusing because they use differing time scales and quote different sources.

Cases are rising but is that a result of a greater number of people tested or is there a genuine rise in infections? The more you test the more you will find. (I'm paraphrasing the Fergus Walsh report here).

Since July there has been an increase in infections that haven't  translated into hospitalisation. Is that due to the rise being among the younger generation who are better able to fight it?

The economy is virtually on it's knees, a fact most don't want to face and the longer we leave it the worse it will get. There must come a time when acceptable risk comes into play.

• Like 3

This 'Pandemic' is nothing compared to the one in the 1300s ''The Black Death'' (plague) when i think nearly a quarter of the Earths population was wiped out in less than ten years..........Mother Nature has a way of sorting us mere humans out....by comparism todays covid'' pales into insignificance........reckon we should sit tight while the Boffins find a cure,,,and in 2 or 3 years we will be going on holiday again like we used to,,.........No Masks....crowds of British drunks...and famous footballers,,fighting their way across Europe...and playing in front of crowds..(who do the same).......you sure you want Covid to end yet ?

• Like 1

I think many more people would have died from Covid in the UK and most of the other countries if most people hadn't isolated, self distancedIn and kept their hands clean etc.

In the 1300s, people would not have had access to this information, so wouldn't have taken these steps to protect themselves, also the water supply was not as accessible and clean as nowadays .  

In fact, all the general living conditions, especially for the poorest in society, were far inferior and plague carrying rats would have been everywhere.

• Like 3

We tend to think of the plague as a single event - it wasn't. It started around 561 and went on the rampage killing millions. It never really went away and came back with a vengeance 800 years later around 1350. From then on and for the next 300 years London suffered roughly every decade from outbreaks until the mid 1600's. 

It is still around, the last outbreak was in the late 90's in India.

Hopefully Covid-19 will not have such longevity

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We may have found ways of treating CV but the covid patients are taking up  a lot of hospital bed spaces whilst others are dying from more severe but treatable ailments. The waiting lists are getting longer.

I'm not sure about that.  The numbers of Covid patients in hospital are falling.  It seems to me the real issue is that clinicians in all fields are busy trying to protect themselves and their patients from outbreaks.

So.. for e.g.  Mrs Col has had 2 appointments.. yesterday and today. altered.  One was cancelled.. but now re-booked. Another was cancelled but the Consultant called her to discuss her symptoms and possible treatments.

Last week. I had a routine appt. for the eye clinic cancelled. They are monitoring my left eye for 'Pigment Dispersion Syndrome' which can apparently cause Glaucoma. I'm not worried and also not keen to spend time around the Hospital with sick people