Gem, I’m so sorry to learn about the passing of your aunt,  I‘ve missed that, (if you’ve posted it on here)

Pleased you’ve come out the other side of self-isolation anyway.  
I’m not very good at not having something to look forward to and remember back at the beginning, whenever it was ..... end of March I think ...... I was so optimistic that we’d only be in lockdown for 2 weeks and so rushed about, keeping busy, sorting our library out in Author alphabetical order, cleaning the oven (!), doing jigsaws and ‘bottoming‘ the house.  Just hope I don’t have to start that malarkey again, I want to get out and be free to enjoy life again without suffocating behind a mask.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Hi Gem, glad to hear your OK. Sorry about your Aunt. Your not on your own with isolation. We have been self isolating now for 222 days, with no end in sight. It's getting to the point where we dare'nt go anywhere. Take care. B.

• Like 1

Gem, so sorry to hear about your Aunt, but pleased that you and your mum have had such a productive time in isolation.  It must have been a worrying time for you, though, wondering if either of you would get symptoms of the virus x

• Like 1
On 10/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, radfordred said:

This virus poses a risk to only a small minority of our population surely we can just protect the vulnerable without causing mass unemployment?

Define 'The Vulnerable'.  It's known to affect the very old and the very young.. but many of working age age dying, young people too.  The subject is not yet well enough understood. The only  thing I know is that I'm almost 72 with multiple health issues.  Since nobody else will. I'll just have to look after myself.

Gem, my condolences on the passing of your aunt. You will have many happy and joyous memories to keep and the knowledge that she is no longer subject to the ills, harshness and deprivations of living in this world.

Those who remain of my parents' generation constantly astound me. Their ability to cope with adversity seems to know no bounds.  I remind myself that they lived through far worse than any of us have ever known, including the current situation and very little fazes them.

You are so lucky, Gem, to have your mum, her wisdom and fortitude here with you. I often find myself asking, what would my mum do in any difficult situation. The answer comes back, get on with it, without fuss or panic. Things aren't that bad. You don't know you're born. As ever, she's right!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments all passed on to Mum. I put nothing on regarding aunties death all I could think about was Mum, they were both widowed within the same year and had done everything together since. As Jill said their resilience is amazing, today regardless of weather we are off to Whitby for fish and chips. Through the night the joke pages even the rather 'mucky' ones helped...so thank you all for reminding me how strangers can help xx

• Like 3
14 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Define 'The Vulnerable'.  It's known to affect the very old and the very young.. but many of working age age dying, young people too.  The subject is not yet well enough understood. The only  thing I know is that I'm almost 72 with multiple health issues.  Since nobody else will. I'll just have to look after myself.

I’m with RR on this. Define many Col as I don’t agree. Yes there are some deaths across all age groups and each is a tragedy.  I am not belittling the serious nature of this but the average age of death from the virus is 82. If your old, have health issues or are obese then you’re at risk. Take care. That is the individuals responsibility. No one else’s.

Gem so sorry to hear about your aunts passing, I know how sad you must feel but she, like my mum was able to reach a good age. Enjoy your day at Whitby and make the most of it , could do with a good plate of chip shop fish 'n' chips.

Both of you keep safe.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

I’m with RR on this. Define many Col as I don’t agree. Yes there are some deaths across all age groups and each is a tragedy.  I am not belittling the serious nature of this but the average age of death from the virus is 82. If your old, have health issues or are obese then you’re at risk. Take care. That is the individuals responsibility. No one else’s.

What a wonderful example of modern altruism.

I'll give you some stats and let you decide how many 'many' is.

Compared to 18 - 29yrs control group

30 - 39.  4 times more deaths

40 - 49.  10 times

50 - 64.  30 times

65 - 74.  90 times

75 - 84.  220 times

85+        630 times

These mean times more likely to die from a covid infection than those in the control group.

But of course you're right, if someone dies after being infected by don't know, don't care merchants it's their own damn fault, after all such people are easily indentified right?

You're not belittling things?... I rather think you are....

• Like 2

@letsavagoo   The purpose of restrictions is not to stop the virus spreading at all - it’s to SLOW the spread.  If there were no restrictions, I think the hospitals wouldn’t be able to cope with the number of Covid admissions, let alone other emergencies and the treatment for many other conditions.

My husband’s hospital appointment to see about treatment for a blocked artery in his leg has been postponed twice this year already ...  

• Like 3

ONLY 0.01% of the World’s population has died of Corona Virus.  Those people who’ve had the virus have mostly suffered from symptoms resembling the Flu.  It’s time to accept there’ll be a nasty virus lingering about for a long time and we should be permitted to just get on with our lives.  

Your figure is a little out of date Lizzie. 0.01% is 700,000.  In round firgures well over a million have died and still rising even with all the control measures in place. Without control the figure is estimated to be at least double. One prediction puts the figure as high as 40.000.000

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths#what-is-the-total-number-of-confirmed-deaths

My husbands hip operation has been cancelled again. In March 2 days before he was due to go in hospital. The other day he rang the hospital to ask when he was due to go in again ( as they had asked him to ring) the receptionist said they were going to ring that afternoon because he was on the list. No phone call so he rang again and they told him they were waiting for the go ahead to carry on with their  operations but for the time being they weren't taking any more phone calls. Meanwhile I received a message confirming my appointment for last injection into my hand. 

It is certainly not altruism and I find that suggestion offensive. I think everyone has got the message. Mask, distance wash etc etc. If you’re vulnerable through illness, age, ethnicity, obesity then act responsibly. Go out as little as possible. Each individual must assess their situation and act appropriately. Risk significantly increases with age. For myself I am well over 60 and with a serious Health issue that puts me at high risk so you’re altruism accusation is invalid and wrong. I don’t know what the answer is but we seem to be on a merry go round. Lock down cases fall. Relax it cases rise. I try to consider and balance lockdowns with the cost of job losses, mental well-being, damage to the economy that will impact for decades. The cancelling of treatment for other serious illness and the deaths that loss and lack of treatment has caused. 

• Upvote 1

I find that dying from Covid-19 because some idiots can't go without pouring ale down their neck offensive.

I find the implied suggestion that because the the most dangerous age is 80+  ( but the average age of death from the virus is 82.), therefore it wont matter if they die, offensive.

I find your suggestion that we have no resposibility or moral obligation toward our fellow man offensive.

I find the idea of the NHS being overwhelmed because we took the brakes off just so some can go get sunburned, offensive

You're concerned about cancelled hospital appointments? How will letting Covid run amok and swamp the NHS help?

You are spot on - it was nothing like altruism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism

• Like 1
8 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

That is the individuals responsibility. No one else’s.

Sorry but this is just wrong.

Everyone is responsible for doing whatever they can to minimise spread of the virus, but sadly there is a small but significant minority who don't see why they should have their lives limited and just want to carry on as normal.  There is another group who view all restrictions as a personal affront and something to be sidestepped wherever possible.  Acting like schoolkids... except schoolkids these days are generally more caring.

• Like 3

Warning!  Pinkfishmedia Content!

The link should take you to a well reasoned advocacy of short 'full' lockdowns.. AKA  'Circuit Breakers', posted by a chap on Pinkfishmedia who seems to know his 'stats'.

http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/CovidComment.pdf

Pre COVID.

The Office for National Statistics puts UK life expectancy at 79.2 years for men and 82.9 years for women. This doesn't necessarily mean that all of us can expect to reach those ages, since the estimates are based on the age a baby would reach if they were born today.

1 minute ago, letsavagoo said:

Pre COVID.

The Office for National Statistics puts UK life expectancy at 79.2 years for men and 82.9 years for women. This doesn't necessarily mean that all of us can expect to reach those ages, since the estimates are based on the age a baby would reach if they were born today.

And your point? I'm not following...

Sadly we are inevitably all going to die. It seems that the average age of death from COVID exceeds normal life expectancy. I’m not saying or implying it doesn’t matter, just if you’re in the danger group for whatever reason then act accordingly. If you’re not in a ‘danger group’ then be responsible. If you’re not responsible you are at risk but it is for the individual to take responsibility. Possible contradicting myself, I find myself agreeing with Col’s statement above. 

44 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Sorry but this is just wrong.

Everyone is responsible for doing whatever they can to minimise spread of the virus, but sadly there is a small but significant minority who don't see why they should have their lives limited and just want to carry on as normal.  There is another group who view all restrictions as a personal affront and something to be sidestepped wherever possible.  Acting like schoolkids... except schoolkids these days are generally more caring.

Of course we act accordingly but it will be of no use if others have no concern and wish to carry on as per usual. Covid is turning out to be as divisive as Brexit

And sadly, for the same reasons..

I saw on the news that several supermarkets in Wales have covered up ‘non essential’ items on they’re shelves. Duvets for one and my wife noted that children’s coats were under the polythene. Is this necessary. Winter approaching. Talk radio stoked the fire with the observation that Champaign was still available.