• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

I thought they said ‘wait to be invited’. I do know of people who have booked on line before they got their letter. You need to enter your NHS number which is on the letter, unless you already know it. It’s worth a try, they can only say ‘wait’. You get the date for the second appointment as well.

Stavgirl.

You don't need a letter and the booking system won't let you book if you don't qualify.

I created an account for myself the other day in preparation, as Phil says you need you NHS number, not Nat Insurance number, which is on any letter from a hospital.

A friend who is 75 tried to create an account but couldn't so I put him on my account, which allows for family or others to be added.

I booked his appointment, for Richard Herrod (old Carlton Forum) when booking with more than 1 name on the account it asks which name to book for.

I selected his name but noticed against my name it said Underage for this clinic, so I couldn't have cheated and booked for me.

He got both 1st and 2nd jab appointments, the dates of which can be changed but I would guess there are built in limits restricting how early or late you can move the 2nd jab appointment.

It asks for email and phone contacts on the account and sends both a text and email to confirm the dates.

P.S JUST TRIED TO CHECK ON SWIFTQUEUE AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S CRASHED AT THE MOMENT.

Just tell me have we got this right?  

Boris seems to think were doing fine ?

Mr PM have we not got the hightist death rate from Coronavirus in the world.

7 hours ago, radfordred said:

Begs the question do lockdowns, masks & distancing have any effect & does this vaccine even work?

The meteoric rise in infections after the lockdown easement would suggest it does and only time will tell of the vaccines efficacy.

My vaccination was booked in seconds after a text last Friday, yesterday a letter arrived asking me to use the website or phone 119 to make an appointment. Somethings not joined up but better that than nothing at all... 

45 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

And we also have one of the highest vaccination rates in the world.

Israel has 9 M and Bahrain has about the same number as Birmingham, (the two highest).

It's a lot easier to vaccinate when the population and area are quite small so from that point I think we're doing quite well.

Booked my vaccination for the 4th Feb at the Forest, got second one in April. Quite easy once I managed to get thru to website. 
Wonder which one it will be especially as Germany is not recommending the AZ one for anyone over 65. Do they know something we don’t? 

It's strange the EU is screaming for the AZ vaccine produced in England but as yet have not approved it.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Wonder which one it will be especially as Germany is not recommending the AZ one for anyone over 65. Do they know something we don’t? 

Most likely be Astra Zeneca which is the one my husband had at that site last week, it doesn’t need such cold storage.  Friends have had the Pfizer jab at QMC where they have the freezer facilities. 

The NHS seem to have their knickers in a twist ..... I booked the jab for my husband last Thursday, he had it Friday. It was announced in the newspaper and TV that the Forest site was opening on Saturday and since he had the vaccination he’s had 2 letters from different parts of the country telling him he can now book an appointment. 
It makes sense to go the Swiftqueue route and do not wait for a letter.  

• Upvote 1

And I wonder what the E.U response would have been if the situation was reversed i.e issues with production here and the U.K asking for supplies from Europe, I suspect I know.

I'm sure when the E.U bulk purchase offer was made to the U.K and we refused, the E.U had stated their bulk vaccine would be distributed to the Countries in most need first.

Guess what we have the highest rate of infection so would therefore have been in most need.

Although I doubt that if we were in the bulk purchase arrangement we would have been given priority when it is approved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As regards the AZ vaccine quotas, it appears the EU is still attempting to apply their bullying tactics over the UK to over-rule UK health policy.

Those sceptics who have pressed to remain within that cobbled-together misfit of twenty seven, so called, advanced nations, how many examples are needed to persuade the hand-wringing remainers' of why the UK decided it was time to leave.

The EU still appear to think Brexit never concluded with our departure and insist somewhat bizarrely that we are a silent partner under a quaint obligation in continuing to follow their rules!   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I think you may be crowing too soon. From AZ (or any other international business), point of view who are you going to look after - a single market of 60 million or 27 countries with 300+ million and free movement?

I would have thought all the vaccine contracts would have had Non Disclosure agreements covering them as the price being paid by each Country could eventually cause arguements.

But it appears AZ are going to publish the contract(s).

What's not being mentioned is that Canada gets it's vaccines from Europe as Trump banned the export of any vaccine made in the U.S.

So any threats of banning exports from the E.U is likey to affect Canada as well.

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

As regards the AZ vaccine quotas, it appears the EU is still attempting to apply their bullying tactics over the UK to over-rule UK health policy.

Those sceptics who have pressed to remain within that cobbled-together misfit of twenty seven, so called, advanced nations, how many examples are needed to persuade the hand-wringing remainers' of why the UK decided it was time to leave.

The EU still appear to think Brexit never concluded with our departure and insist somewhat bizarrely that we are a silent partner under a quaint obligation in continuing to follow their rules!   

It does look as if the EU machinery ground rather slowly over this one.  I'll not deny that.  So it works out that (at least for now..) we are a little ahead of them in the vaccine programme.  I also recognise Brew's point that whatever the UK may have agreed with AZ, AZ have a huge market in the EU which they will not willingly pass up.

However.. I'd make three observations:

1: The tarriff free trade we had with the EU was worth billions...and is now gone, causing the chaos which is being somewhat masked by the Covid crisis.  All of those arrangements were in place and whatever you may say, they were hugely beneficial to the UK.

2. With the exception of the AZ issue, you have not provided one... much less numerous 'examples' of why it was 'time' to leave.

3. If we had not had Brexit.. we would not have had Johnson.  We would not have had a government comprised of the pathetic dregs ( Willliamson?, Patel et.al) who were left after the serial liar, dismissee and incompetent Johnson had purged his party of those who represented the remaining competence and integrity in the Tory Party.

It follows..in my view that we would have had earlier lockdown and more competent management of Covid overall..and thus fewer deaths..and a reduced urgency for the vaccine.

Finally..since you have introduced a political dimension to this discussion.. I suggest we continue it, if you wish to.. in the Politics thread.

This morning the postman delivered two identical letters, dated the same day from the same place (Swansea), inviting me to book a Covid vaccination appointment.  I've been booked in since Wednesday and will be down on the Forest Sunday morning for my jab.  

The same thing happened with my husband.  He'd already had the jab last Friday before he received two identical letters.

I wouldn't want to be in charge of delivering millions of vaccines but this is just a waste of money.

Husband went for his vaccination this morning at a local 'Med Centre' at 10.20am. When he got there, there were no cars in the carpark, and no people waiting inside the building, just a nurse wandering around( waiting I imagine for patients). She asked if Chris was there for the vaccine, and was taken straight in. 

This is not a complaint but an observation. Why couldn't I have had mine at the same time, to fill the gap, and save time and also get those all important vaccines moving into the population. I will be having mine on Monday afternoon, which I am quite satisfied with, but can't understand the way the appointment system works.

I suppose you had jumped the queue a bit by using Swiftqueue Lizzie?  The letters are perhaps your official notification.   
carni, I suppose in your case, the system is trying to stop people abusing it and trying to get their vaccines before they are in the right level (they must have decided you were MUCH younger than your husband!!

I know 2 people round here who had taken their elderly parent to get  their jab and they were asked if they were their carer.  They replied that they fetched shopping and did a bit of housework for them, at which point they were offered a jab, too.  Both these people are only 50

Same here Lizzie. Booked appointment on urging of family yesterday and low and behold letter arrives today. At least I am not jumping the queue, well only by a day!