8 hours ago, LizzieM said:

That’s because none of us are mixing to pick it up anywhere.  Still plenty of Covid cases though, which doesn’t make sense does it?

I think it does Liz.  The difference is that 'herd immunity' to Flu.. plus the effects of the annual Flu vaccine, will minimise Flu.  And there are apparently cases.

With Covid, most have no immunity.  Even many of those vaccinated haven't yet developed maximum immunity.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

I agree, there's a hidden Covid agenda here. The success of the UK's vaccine inoculation programme compared with the EU's abysmal progress and the EU's continuing post Brexit spitefulness campaign.

Obviously... Brexit has proved that everybody in the EU is evil, and everybody in the UK is sweetness and light.  But don't worry.. the £350 M per week for the NHS..and the hundreds of 'easiest trade deals in history'..will soon put them into their place... after all they need us more than we need them....  (Cont'd Page 94.....)

• Like 1

Strangely enough, having been 100% fit all Winter, I’ve been snotty and sneezing all day today.  I’ve only ever had proper Flu once in my life and it was grim, I felt like death for a few days but having watched that Covid programme last night it was nothing like those poor people were having to cope with.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I did vote to leave the EU but it gives no pleasure to see the debacle unfolding there at the moment (thank goodness we went our own way on vaccines despite the government taking flak when it did this, one of the few things they seem to have got right).

To be honest Stav..  I think a lot of the posturing in the EU is for home consumption.  They know they have 'cocked up', by being far too slow to commit to, and order vaccines and are looking to deflect blame.  They are not really doing anything different to those here in the UK who are talking up a 'conspiracy' in the EU, when the reality is that there is no EU wide ban on the AZ, the EU Health lot say it is safe., it is still being used in Belgium and several other countries have only 'paused' its use for a day or so.

4 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Strangely enough, having been 100% fit all Winter, I’ve been snotty and sneezing all day today.  I’ve only ever had proper Flu once in my life and it was grim, I felt like death for a few days but having watched that Covid programme last night it was nothing like those poor people were having to cope with.  

Me too with the Flu Lizzie.  An awful experience I never, ever want to repeat.

I've had a few snotty sneezy days but I'm convinced they were more likely due to allergies like 'house dust'.  We don't live in a tip.. but being indoors so much is likely to increase the chances of reacting to house dust mites etc.... and the cleanest houses have them.

Running out my arse, they are trying to cause panic to get you to book because of all these bludclats, appointments available everywhere & what happened to if you’ve not had the flu jab you can’t have it, ehh? Under 50s are not eligible for the FREE flu jab.

https://www.swiftqueue.co.uk/nottinghamc19vpatient.php

https://www.swiftqueue.co.uk/nottinghamc19v-clinv.php

Whilst having my morning coffee I have been ruminating over the past extrodinary and horrendous year. 
When we first heard about the virus I think we presumed it would be like SARS and just affect China but be brought under control and wouldn't be a problem. Then we started seeing the first pictures from Italy, Still seemed a long way away and it didn’t seem like it would affect us. Then as the pictures got worse and worse and the death toll started to mount we had a discussion about getting face masks. It seemed an overreaction at the time but we decided to get a box each “just in case”. Little did we know.

It then spread across Europe and eventually cases started springing up here, I started to notice the odd person wearing a mask but didn’t myself at that time it seemed a bit extreme. 
When the numbers started to increase and we were told the “elderly” were at greater risk I didn’t think it applied to me I didn’t consider myself elderly but after a conversation with family members realised I was, bit of a shock to the system.
 We then found filtered masks on the internet, got a couple of N95 I think they were with the vents (not very comfortable to wear) and eventually found double layer fabric masks with a replaceable filter so stocked up on those. We were being told masks made no difference at that time so they were easy to get. I then started to wear them when I went out, got some funny looks, and cut down on my trips out. 
Then we went into the first lockdown. I must admit I thought we would do this for 12 weeks or whatever and it would be over and we could go back to normal. I had lost Wolf the December before all this started but still had Kai so was able to get out with him and we did have some long conversations (albeit one sided) which he completely understood! 
Now here we are 12 months on, in another semi-lockdown, half vaccinated, with so many people being lost It doesn’t bear thinking about and cases still quite high. Europe appears to be having a second wave which doesn’t bode well at all and in somewhat of a mess with their vaccination programme (which it appears is all our fault because ours seems to be going quite well at the moment and we should immediately stop and give them our vaccines so they can leave them in their fridges as it is rubbish anyway and no one wants them).
I didn’t really have a “big” life before all this started. I was just starting to go out more since moving back here, had made some good friends and was starting to feel settled. Didn’t ask for much, just being able to go to town on the tram (which I love - the noise doesn’t bother me at all) and have a rummage thru Primark and the bling shop in the Vic Centre, going for a pot of tea in Birds with one of their expensive sandwiches. Going to my 2 social clubs with a meal at the local pub after the Friday one, being able to give them a hug. A trip to Matlock Bath in the summer to browse the shops and buy stuff I really didn’t need. Being with family members when work permitted. It wasn’t an exciting jet setting lifestyle but I was happy and content with it. Losing Kai was a body blow which has taken some time to come to terms with, I did rely on him for company during the past year and still miss him desperately. 
I get my second jab next month, to be honest I don’t know how much difference this will make to the things I do or more to the point don’t do. Time will tell I suppose. 

• Like 11
13 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Obviously... Brexit has proved that everybody in the EU is evil, and everybody in the UK is sweetness and light.  But don't worry.. the £350 M per week for the NHS..and the hundreds of 'easiest trade deals in history'..will soon put them into their place... after all they need us more than we need them....  (Cont'd Page 94.....)

It certainly proved the EU leaders are untrustworthy and duplicitous. The UK government ministers are no better. But there remains the issue that the EU have still not understood we are an unconditional  sovereign nation. Doris Boris should have asserted the sovereignty of NI with the UK without borders.

If the EU insisted on borders the opportunity was for border controls on the Ireland side. 

• Like 1

Good post SG and I can relate to a lot of what you’re saying. I’m pleased I’m not living alone, I talk to myself a lot of the time as it is!   Actually I do mutter to myself when I’m in a supermarket, nobody can see my lips move behind the mask but they might hear me .......

When the first lockdown started I genuinely expected it to last only 2 weeks (wasn’t that time-scale mentioned at the time?) 

We’ve lost 2 foreign holidays in the past year and just cancelled one we were taking this May.   However we did get away from Nottingham in the Autumn and spent that 6 week lockdown in our second home in Dorset so it’s not been all bad.

It was a difficult summer with our poorly dog who was finally put to sleep in September but oh how we miss having a dog around the place.  
But we must stay positive, we all know people who’ve struggled, been sick with the virus and sadly I personally know 2 or 3 who have died during this awful year.  
Things can only get better ...... 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Alpha said:

It certainly proved the EU leaders are untrustworthy and duplicitous. The UK government ministers are no better. But there remains the issue that the EU have still not understood we are an unconditional  sovereign nation. Doris Boris should have asserted the sovereignty of NI with the UK without borders.

If the EU insisted on borders the opportunity was for border controls on the Ireland side. 

I'd argue that some EU leaders have been rather to quick to pronounce.. especially Ursula Von Der Leyen. As I said earlier. it looks like her outburst was more for home consumption..iin an attempt to deflect EU wide disatisfaction with vaccine rollout..and blame the UK.  It has clearly blown up in her face.  Within 24 hours other EU leaders have effectively sidelined her. Belgium never stopped using the AZ vaccine, others paused it briefly, before resuming. Boris and the French bloke are having their AZ jabs tomorrow.  It hardly smacks of a united EU effort against us.

On sovereignty.  Irrespective of the 'Irish Question'.. there is a common misconception that we surrendered our sovereignty to the EU.  This was never the case. Ever. All EU member states remain sovereign states. We in effect, joined a club, in order to reap the benefits of membership.  This of course did require us to abide by club rules.

But, we had a Veto on many areas and mostly only complied with regulations.  We totally vetoed some regulations and we NEVER surrendered our own right to make our own laws. That is possibly the biggest lie that the Brexiteers peddled.

Maybe this should be in the Politics thread.

Exactly a year ago Australia effectively closed its borders to all incoming passengers and those that were let in under special circumstances were required to undergo 14 days quarantine in a medi hotel with regular testing until proven to be covid free. I think this is the main reason we have not had the number of cases seen in many other countries. The government has done a good job in that regard but is making a right balls up of the vaccination program. In 24 days since the vaccination program started we have only managed to give a total of just over 14,000 injections. The government set itself a target of around 11,500 a day and has failed miserably, it is probably a good job that covid is not rampant.

In contrast, as an observer from afar, it seems that the UK made a right mess of its early actions or non actions but seems to be doing a reasonable job with the vaccination program.

So keep safe until you have had your vaccinations and even afterwards be a little cautious until we really see how effective it is.

• Like 3

Hi Oz.  There's no doubt that the UK messed up early on and has continued to do so throughout three lockdowns.  Our only success is the Vaccination rollout, but we will all pay for it bigtime in increased taxes, reduced benefits or lower state pensions in future. Only the Govt. and its friends/paymasters will come out of this better off.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I get my second jab next month, to be honest I don’t know how much difference this will make to the things I do or more to the point don’t do. Time will tell I suppose. 

I was at my daughter's house earlier this week.  I only went indoors briefly to use the loo.  My gorgeous Grandkids were pleased to see me .  Ben is very much at the 'pre teen' stage now, and he's joined at the hip to his PC/tablet/phone etc..  but he did manage to say that it was lovely to see me.  My beautiful Granddaughter Gracie was also on good form after her first week back at school.  She ran towards me at one point and her Mum stopped her.. saying 'Grandad has only had his first jab so far.'  For a five and ten year old they are very aware of the virus and what it could do to  Grandad and Nanna. I told Gracie that my second jab is due in a few weeks and after that we can have a cuddle.  Her face was a picture..  'That will be so nice Grandad' ..

Breaks my heart... but I do think we all have to stay strong.  We are close to beating this thing now.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6JhZiyUJkeDCVY7W9

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Only the Govt. and its friends/paymasters will come out of this better off.

As per usual DJ360. The same here too. I hate to think how much money the software and app developers have made from programs that were next to useless. It was apparent early on that they were useless yet the stupid government continued to throw money at them. One company with links to the Liberal Party (Conservatives) was paid AU$3.8 million to help develop the Federal Government's coronavirus information app and then a further AU$6 million to develop the Covid Safe contact tracing app. An additional AU$64 million was spent on advertising the app. The government has not provided details of how or where the advertising budget was spent. At the end of the day for AU$70 million the much vaunted app only found 15 people that were not found by conventional contact checking methods. The government said that the procurement process for the tracing and information app had been undertaken under government procurement rules. It was also said that there was no requirement for any tender applicant to declare any political interests?

We are doing the same thing again with websites and programs to tell us how, where, and when we can have our vaccinations.

Only today a shipment of Pfizer vaccines due for use in care homes in Adelaide had been incorrectly shipped to Perth. This lot could not run a chook raffle if there were more than two tickets or any other disparaging euphemism you could think of. **** up in a brewery, **** in a brothel come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

When we first heard about the virus I think we presumed it would be like SARS and just affect China but be brought under control and wouldn't be a problem.  Then we went into the first lockdown. I must admit I thought we would do this for 12 weeks or whatever and it would be over and we could go back to normal. 

14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

When the first lockdown started I genuinely expected it to last only 2 weeks (wasn’t that time-scale mentioned at the time?) 

When it all started a year ago I was also one of those who assumed it would last maybe a few months, and then we'd be back to normal. But looking back over the year I'm surprised how quickly time has passed, even though I haven't done much. I don't understand how I haven't been more bored.

If someone had told me - 12 months ago - what the next year would be like I would've thought that would be really dull and dreary. It's not exactly been a bundle of laughs, but it's not been as bad as I might've expected. But I'll be bloody glad when it's over.

• Like 5

Thank you BK.  We are very lucky to have such lovely grandkids.  And another on the way in June, from youngest and her partner. :)

That pic was taken in late Dec. last year outside my house. Gracie very carefully placed a bag of prezzies on ouur drive for us and then backed away.  She's a real little sweetheart and very caring.

• Like 1

Great news last night.  My younger daughter and her partner set up a sort of pinata and used it to make a video to reveal the sex of their baby..expected in June.  I knew that they had both convinced themselves it was a boy.. but it turns out it's a girl..  which is what they both secretly wanted..  And so did I.. though I'd have settled for either.

As I said to Stef later..  "Little girls are nice....  mostly"...  She knew exactly what I was saying.. as she can be a right royal PITA when she wants..  :)

• Like 4

Grandad. .. as befits my age, maturity, wisdom.. and grumpiness.... :laugh:

• Like 3

Talking of grandads. When my son was little, he always referred to his maternal grandad as "Boggis". We never understood why. His bedtime prayer was always finished as, "God Bless Nana and God Bless Boggis".

• Like 2