Just had our second AZ vaccine.  The

Nurse asked if we’d had any side effects from the first one, so I told her about the bad headaches, shivering and shaking in bed and feeling really cold and generally grotty for about 24 hours.  She said we would probably have more of the same this time, so we’ll just have to wait and see.  At least we’ll know what it is this time.  Because we were one of the first cohorts to be done in January, the side effects weren’t being so widely published and we didn’t link what was happening to our jab until early the  next day.  As I’ve said before, I think  it’s a small price to pay to keep us out of hospital!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Can't see a lot of difference between those idiots and those littering the place with flowers as a tribute, we still have to pay the council to clear up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Stood at the Crown Island crossing, a bloke was already waiting, he was fully masked up out in the fresh air, he look physically petrified I had come within 5 foot of him, he waited until I had crossed, will this madness ever end :crazy:

Some people might seem over cautious but it is the take up of injections and the physical distancing which are having a material effect on the reduced spread of the virus. I think the wearing of masks, certainly in shops, is the reason why very few people have had the common cold in recent months. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think the wearing of masks, certainly in shops, is the reason why very few people have had the common cold in recent months. 

I realised a few months ago that I'd had very little in the way of colds and sniffles during the last year. It must be due partly to mask-wearing, and also the fact the many people haven't been in close proximity to many other people for a long time.

Perhaps he was classed as “clinically vulnerable” which is why he was being extra cautious? 

Nothing wrong in being ‘extra cautious’. It’s those who show a cavalier attitude to the virus that cause the spread. Certainly in our village I see people chatting to neighbours but, without exception, they respect the two metre guidance. The only high rates of infection in our wider district have been at Lowdham Grange prison and on the other side of the Trent at Whatton  prison. Obviously there there are problems in keeping a social distance in these institutions.

Second jab on the 15th...

A relative has just asked if you work from home does it affect council tax, can you claim the costs against income tax and does it affect the house insurance? 

I don't know the answers, does anyone here know?

Home might be classed as business premises and become a reason to increase charges. 

There are no business rates for normal home working where the house is not part of a business premises. You can’t claim home working expenses against tax. It may be prudent to discuss home working with ones household insurers but I doubt they will increase the premium.

Both got our second jabs on the 15th. I have the Astra at 9.50am and Chris the Pfizer at 4.55pm, both at same place. I asked why we couldn't have the jabs at same time. It seems they are doing the Astra in the morning and Pfizer in the afternoon. Good job we live within walking distance, we can have some exercise thrown in.

3 minutes ago, radfordred said:

The Revenue state that you cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home. However if you are compelled to do so because of the current situation then there is a system for claiming reliefs.

Said relative has taken a job with Purple Bricks. Their business model means everyone apart from the HQ must work from home, to that end she has turned the utility room into an office, nothing to do with the pandemic.

That’s a moot point and should be queried with the Revenue. The ‘working from home allowances’ were specifically put in to deal with the pandemic. I was not aware of it until RR drew my attention to it. Some employers are giving the special allowances through PAYE making it unnecessary for the taxpayer to make a claim. Turning one room into an office will not make them liable for business rates but if you chose to work from home you could not ordinarily claim partial household expenses against tax.

Looks like vaccine supply is outstripping demand at the moment, probably because they stopped doing 1st dose during April.  Couple of local sites saying next available slot is right now.  Four more say tomorrow morning.  I am also hearing more cases of 2nd dose being pulled forwards, sometimes by several weeks.

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You can’t claim home working expenses against tax. It may be prudent to discuss home working

I think that may have changed.  When I briefly ran a business, I'm pretty sure I was able to offset part of the expense of maintaining a home, against tax.

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I think that may have changed.  When I briefly ran a business, I'm pretty sure I was able to offset part of the expense of maintaining a home, against tax.

I remember being able to claim a few hundred pounds a year for heating, electricity etc, originally recommended by my accountant.

You should look at the Revenue’s guidance notes which are published online re home working. There are special provisions under the Covid regulations where you have no option other than to work from home. Under normal circumstances there used to be a difference between choosing to work from home and having to work from home. 

Re the tax issue, I would have thought Purple Brix would have plenty of information on what can and can't be claimed if a good proportion of their employees are claiming.

I'm surprised they haven't provided it as part of their new starter package.

There may be a standard agreement with HMRC for a similar case,  just as there has been for years regarding overall / uniform cleaning and for wear and tear on employee provided hand tools.

Reading reports that some people are having their appointments cancelled for their second Pfizer jab as it is “not available”, I presume they will have to make another appointment which means they will be over the 12 weeks. It is just the Pfizer jab from what I have seen and not the AZ one. It is suggested it is a distribution problem although I would have thought they would have this sorted at this stage of the vaccination programme. Makes me wonder if they do have enough to cover those who have had the first jab. Bit worrying as I don’t fancy being a guinea pig to see if two different jabs work:sickly:

There is a rumour the test kit contains cancer causing chemicals, miscarriages have gone up by almost 400%. and the vaccine reduces fertility. A 'Russian doctor' conducting a post mortem on a Covid patient found poisoning by 'electro magnetic radiation and this is why post mortems are banned by the WHO.

There are more conspiracy theories than you can shake a stick at. All absolute rubbish of course