22,1192 people PLUS ME had their second Covid vaccine today.  

I feel absolutely fine but been sorting out my wardrobe in case I don’t make it through the night. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Yesterday I had my second Pfizer jab (hooray). So I am now one of the millions that will be protected to some degree. I am pleased to say my friend and her mother in Doncaster finally got their Pfizer jabs on the same day, although theirs were 2 weeks late as they have only just got supplies. 
As before the volunteers at the Forest were superb, can’t praise them enough. It was busier than for my first jab but it was as efficient as the first time and they kept us moving through the system. 
Today I am a bit achy and have a slight headache and my arm is a bit sore but only mild symptoms not like friends who have had AZ which seems to knock some off their feet for a couple of days.

A lot of things haven’t really gone well with the covoid response in the past year, no doubt there will be more bumps in the road, but the vaccination programme seems to be a roaring success thankfully. I hope that the EU get over their present problems and that their vaccination programme will now start ramping up as well. We all need the protection the vaccines can give us no matter where we are. 

• Like 3

Second AZ yesterday at 16:30. Strange night's sleep as with the first jab. Woke up many times in the night.. but no repeat of the chills and odd muscle aches..so far.:)

Mine was at the mass vaccination centre at St Helens RLFC Ground. I was using my stick due to dodgy knee and was immediately asked if I needed to use the lift.. which offer I accepted. All staff were extremely helpful, cheerful and efficient.

Control of covid restrictions have reached a farcial stage here in Australia. If you live in Victoria you are limited to having 100 people at your home and it is recommended that masks are worn. If you want to meet other people in a public space outdoors you are limited to groups are limited to 200 and you must have a face mask with you.

Yesterday the government allowed the great avaricious god AFL football to have 70,000 people attend a match at the MCG. Is it just me or does anyone else see the sense in the way restrictions are being supplied?

In the UK I was deeply saddened to see the Queen sitting alone at her husbands funeral whilst down the road shops were full and beer gardens were overflowing with people without any regard to social distancing.

• Like 2

We both had AZ vaccine with no reactions whatsoever. My neighbour had the same and she had temperature and headache. Shes the first person i know who has had reactions with AZ. Think of it though some reaction with any vaccine would react in some people and as they are saying theres more risk in getting covid by not being vaccinated, Those who do not want the vaccine are self centered and irresponsible and may be accused of causing the spread. I dont think I'd like that on my conscious.

I'm sad to say that still some Italians are afraid to have the AZ vaccine because of the publicity when at the end does not cause blood clots. Pfizer has the same reputation in US and probably other vaccines will follow. I wonder if things were the same with all the childhood vaccinations?

There has long been some controversy about the MMR vaccine, hasn't there?  Some refuse permission for their children to receive it. I know little about it except that I caught measles when I was 5 and it almost polished me off. If can be a very serious disease.

My sister was one of the first to receive the polio vaccine. I still have all our vaccine cards from years ago. Look at the damage caused by polio.

It is good to see the UK and USA are sending supplies to India to help them out in their crisis and it would appear we are not going to pursue the doses of AZ that we were supposed to get from them either which is the right thing to do. A drop in the ocean but it is a start. The virus out of control in any country is a threat to us all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Both my Sons had the MMR.

All of my Grand children have had the MMR vaccine in the U.K.

My Son , D - in Law and 3 Grandchildren went to live in the U.S.A and the grandchildren had to have a different version of MMR as the strains over there are not the same as here.

There was little choice, not that it was a problem.

Children have to attend school as a condition of the Visa.

To attend school they have to have had the U.S version of MMR (or equivalent).

No MMR, no Visa.

@nonnaB  I know some people who had no side effects at all after having the first dose of AZ vaccine, but did after their second dose! 
Most people I know (including us) had problems with their first dose and hardly anything after their second.  
However, despite the (hopefully) minor inconvenience of possible side effects I  still believe  that having the vaccine is the right choice,  both for that person and the wider community.

@Stavertongirl I totally agree with your last post.  The news from India is heartbreaking with the shortages of beds, oxygen etc, and hospital staff having to make choices about who can be admitted and who has to be left to die ‘on the street.’

• Like 1

May be i've posted somewhere before about this but we understand that first dose AZ is fairly strong and second dose consequently can be up to 3 months. So maybe people are suffering reactions more frequently than with other vaccines. I really wanted to have the Pfizer one as it seems to be the one that was " reliable" and it was recommended for our age group. But as things went , lack of constant supply etc we were given AZ. At the end I don't suppose it makes much difference what you get as long as it does its job in protecting us. We have a cousin in Sicily who we spoke to yesterday who refuses to be vaccinated. He says there are no cases in the village where he lives. I find that a bit naive, it only takes one person to be infected. He has a jewelry shop, the only one in the village so really hope an infected person decides not to buy a confirmation present from him. I wish people would think this situation through I'm sure it would save a lot of lives.

14 hours ago, HSR said:

That's a new one on me.. 

Internet?

No I was taught English at the local council school in Nottinghamshire by a teacher that loved the language.

Avaricious meaning....... having or showing an extreme greed for wealth or material gain.

Much like the clubs that tried to form the super league.

MMR vaccinations. When our Dr said that my daughter was due to be vaccinated I hesitated because of all the publicity. He was an Indian Dr who advised me about the risks and disadvantages .I went home thought about it and rang him to say that she would be vaccinated. I have never since then, refused a vaccination for whatever illness. Just look at the lives it probably saved. Over the years I've had so many vaccinations and different sorts of chemical treatments and I believe if I hadn't done them I wouldn't be here now writing this. The medical world have done and still do wonders. Things change all the time and I for one feel that it has saved my life. Followup this Friday

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with you Nonna and my two boys had all the baby vaccinations, except one, and can’t remember which that was but it was my Mum who got worked up about the bad publicity it was getting.  My Dad’s youngest brother had Measles TWICE in 1937 and died.  My husband says he had a mild dose of Polio in the early 50s when there was no vaccination or sugar lump offered. He had no lasting effects though.  
Unfortunately our daughter-in-law is anti-vax and refused to get our granddaughter vaccinated.  She’s been sending me videos and other anti-vax rubbish for the past year, thinking she can convince me to agree with her, I ignore most of it.  She’s Eastern European and difficult to cope with ........ can’t get involved as we don’t want family upset!  

I can remember being given the sugar lump with the greenish/yellow liquid on it. It looked like something unmentionable and tasted like it, too!  I had that at school. Berridge Infants. We all queued up outside the head mistress's office, where a nurse dished out the disgusting sugar lumps. Some weeks later, we all queued up again and I felt sick at the thought of another dose but on that occasion it was a needle in the arm and I screamed blue murder! I was told not to be such a baby. I'm no better now!  Don't know what that vaccination was for. I'll have to look for the card.

Edited to add that the pink card was for the fourth dose of polio vaccine, given orally on 01 November 1962. I was only 4 at the time but have never forgotten it. I have cards for the first three doses in 1958, 1959 and 1960. Presumably, those were administered at the clinic on Gregory Boulevard, next to the library. I remember going there for injections. Sitting on my mother's knee listening to children screaming and crying!

All the cards bear the name William Dodd, Medical Officer of Health.  They're antiquities now!

It's surprising what you find when you start looking through things. Among the vaccination cards was a card with my mother's name on it. It's an appointment for the Orthopaedic Clinic at the Nottingham General Hospital on 27 September 1964. Mum slipped on a bar of soap, getting out of the bath. She fell forward, hitting the roll top of the cast iron bath and broke several ribs.  

The hospital wrapped her upper torso in heavy duty sticking plaster! She came home looking like an Egyptian mummy! They don't do that now. It's painkillers.  I well remember the day she was told she could remove it. After messing about for hours, trying to remove it gently and failing, my father said, "There's only one way to do this. Grit your teeth!" He took hold of the end and ripped the whole lot off. Mum screamed blue murder but I think they'd still have been messing about now if he hadn't.

Another card is for mum to attend Miss Bates's clinic at Peel Street Women's Hospital on 9th July 1955 which was my sister's 5th birthday.  Mum had suffered a miscarriage shortly before then and this was, presumably, a follow up appointment.  Mum was taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning and Miss Bates, apparently, later remonstrated with mum for getting her out of bed at an unearthly hour!

Mum was admitted to Peel Street for a couple of days and never forgot the young woman in the next bed who, apparently, had successfully attempted a termination at home but was in excruciating pain if her screams and groans were anything to go by. The consultant was heard sharply telling her to be quiet on several occasions and many of the nursing staff ignored the poor soul completely.

The patient wore a hospital gown and mum overheard the matron demand, "Why are you wearing that gown? Don't you possess a nightdress?  Don't bother to answer that!"

Times have changed!

Jill my daughter slipped on a tiled floor a few years ago and broke a couple of ribs. She'd just come in to our house from coming home in a thick snow storm. She had boots on and had just stepped to go into the kitchen , her boots slipped and she went straight down like a ton weight. It winded her and she had difficulty breathing. However straight to hospital, she needed to go to the loo but the nurses told her she couldnt move and to use a bedpan. She refused and got out of bed and went to the toilet and was caught by a snooty nurse who told her off. She wasnt strapped up,at all and had to just take it easy but she was fine except when the weather gets colder and damper then the pains come on.

Lizzie I can sympathise with your views about your daughter in law but as you say its better to stay away from arguments, but it is worrying when you know it makes sense to be vaccinated. People who refuse the vaccines make me so mad and I want to shake them to make them realise the importance of having them. My DIL has some strange ideas but vaccines aren't one of them. My 3 grandchildren are at school in Alba and have to catch the bus every day. They say the school buses are extra loaded and have all the windows closed so the children are scared to say the least. They all wear their masks and get annoyed when colleagues wear theirs round their chin. They are sensible children. When this started my DIL told me not to be offended because she wanted to keep us safe in case they brought this virus home. I thought it was very sensible and considerate of her so we didnt mind. But now it seems that my grandchildren are far away although they live above us. I see them coming in from school and often they feel sick from the bus ride home. Then they are picked up from the village by their mum or dad to come home. They arrive home completely destroyed so I just wave. Its sad that we dont see more of them and have a least contact with them. This year Steven the eldest will be 18 and what with celebrations weve missed in this last year we cant believe that he is now an adult.

Second Jab (AZ)yesterday no side effects so far. Figures going the right way, I hope everyone is sensible after two big lockdowns. Light at the end of the tunnel.

According to data from the Zoe Study, which I've been a contributor to since almost day 1, Nottingham city has an estimated 67 active cases (200 per million) and that's higher than any of the surrounding districts.

That's not a lot.

Jab 2 for me on Sunday.