point taken

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Whilst it is good that we are now slowly relaxing the lockdown rules there are two that I am not sure about.

One is the relaxation of wearing masks in schools. There has been an outbreak in a school in Long Eaton of 100 cases amongst pupils and staff causing the closedown of the school for a while. I believe this was the “Indian” strain which is more contagious. 
This week I have started invigilating at my local school again (so nice to be doing something “normal” for a change) wearing a mask even though I am scribing on a one to one basis which does not interfere with it at all. Even though there have been no officially reported cases in the school for a while I am not sure whether I would feel confident to do it without a mask especially when I will be in a room with 45 pupils which has no windows to provide ventilation. Whilst the above case, hopefully, will be a one off I do think that another few weeks of this regulation would not hurt, especially as we now know this strain has appeared in Nottinghamshire. 
The second one is foreign holidays. Whilst the countries on the green list have very few cases there will be tourists there from countries where the incidence of the virus will be high. I do appreciate I will probably get some flak about this as I know some are desperate to go abroad for a holiday but am not convinced that the present guidelines will prevent new variants being imported into the country (re the above Long Eaton case). Also will we end up in a position as before where countries are suddenly taken off the green list and there are loads of people scrambling to get home before quarantine kicks in?

Whilst I appreciate all reopening poses a chance of a rise in infections, especially in those who have not been vaccinated, I do feel we still do not have rigorous enough systems in place (whatever happened to track and trace - you don’t hear about it now even though Dido Harding has received millions more for it) to deal with some of the issues.

I have now had my two injections (Pfizer) and on Friday it will be 3 weeks since my second so they should have kicked in fully so do feel more confident about going places although I don’t think I would go inside a restaurant/pub. Possibly a bit cautious of me but  wouldn’t feel comfortable about it at the moment, perhaps in a few weeks it might change.

• Like 3

In reply to SG, (won't quote,it's too long).

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot, for the life of me understand this obsession with, "desperate to get abroad for a holiday". What's wrong with England?

I realise and understand that people want to broaden their horizons and visit other cultures, but I've heard folks say they are "desperate". Surely nobody's that desperate.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

We’ve always enjoyed flying off on vacation and in fact we should have been flying to Seattle today, booked last November when we assumed all this would have been over weeks/months ago.  So that’s the third overseas trip we’ve had cancelled in the past 14 months. 
I’ve got used to being stuck at home to be honest, haven’t got any enthusiasm to consider any trips in the near future.  We’ve got a trip out today though, up to a funeral at Wilford Hill, not a Covid death I hasten to point out.  

• Like 1

Wilford Hill eh, That's the last time and place I saw my youngest lad.

Back in 1978 , Christmas.

Not been abroad for 3 years now.......really miss it............

Winter months are my favourite...Spain's winter is better than our summer...

Miss the Sun..Blue clear Sea....also miss many friends over there..Live music..and Dancing..every night.. after walking or Biking in the warm weather.......mixing with the locals and trying to speak the language....

Was going to say ''not desperate to go''........but i am...ASAP

We’ve not been abroad for a holiday in years. There’s so many places in Britain we’ve yet to visit without the hassle of airports and the boredom of flying. I dislike flying when I’m not at the controls. Some of the people who learnt to fly at the same time as I did went on to become airline pilots and, quite frankly, I would be scared to fly with them! We had a favourite place on the Lizard, near to the Helford river where we rented a cottage and another place on the west coast of Scotland where we stayed regularly. We haven’t been away for a holiday in seven years. Quite honestly it’s so pleasant round here and there’s so much to do that every day is a holiday. Also I dislike very hot weather!

• Like 1

It's far from simple..

All of the scientists are saying that any relaxation of restrictions must be assessed over a period of about 5 weeks, to allow for any rise in infections and consequent effects to be fully understood... before moving on ( or not) to any further relaxation.

As Stav points out.. the younger bits of society are basically forced into close contact via school, college etc.. and of course the irresistable force of adolescence..  And yet those are the very groups which are as yet the least vaccinated.  As far as I can see there is no plan yet to roll out mass vaccination of groups under 18.  Ok, they are mostly at little risk from the virus, but they can still be 'vectors' and infect teachers, relatives etc.

Govt. seems to be putting its faith in the fact that most of the vulnerable are now vaccinated, and that the amount of virus 'out there' is low.  Yet the fact remains that this country..like every other.. started with a single case or so.. which..before detection..was spread exponentially.  that is what seems to keep happening in some schools. 

And of course, while the vaccine is a huge help..it does not provide 100% protection and it's not yet known how long the protection lasts.

As for foreign holidays.  Lots of people seem to live for them and some seem to go several times a year.. spending the time in between talking and dreaming about them. Personally, I'm not a frequent flyer.. but the state of the weather in this country so far this year has even me thinking back to lazy days on the beach in Cancun.

Still.. I don't waste 'available Sunlight' here.. and have already managed to nearly top up the tan I lost over the winter..:tanning:

Used to know a couple who thought that, unless you traveled a very long way or flown, then it wasn't a 'proper holiday'. But they always trawled the papers for £9.50 breaks, usually in the Sun. Got bugger all in the way of refinements, but eh, they were cheap.

• Like 1

I think I have a different view to many, on what constitutes a holiday.  At its most basic, I would not be seen dead fighting for a parking spec in Blackpool or anywhere else on a Bank Holiday.  I leave that to others and try to enjoy the relative peace in my garden.

I like the weather and the sea in the Med and similar places.. but I can't be doing with crowded beaches.. people who are rat arsed 24/7 for a fortnight.. and especially people who are legless before they board the plane out and spend the duration of the flight being anti social.

I'm basically just an old misery...:P

• Like 3

Stick with it....

• Like 1

Stuck with it Col. Brilliant ! Ah sed to Roy, brilliant. What did ah say Roy?

• Like 1

That was very funny!  The bit that made me chuckle the most was when she said that Roy always sees things visually.  I agreee with that - it’s the best way. thumbsup

• Like 1

Summer holidays are a hit and miss this year with cancellations. DJ I'm like you I hate going anywhere where there's too.many people. Our first public holiday of the year is Easter and everyone and his family go to the mountains or the coast ( both near) The Mw are full and if its hot its miserable sitting in traffic to get somewhere. I stay home and am lucky to live where its peaceful  and few people. We have what we need to enjoy ourselves so we leave our choice to either earlier in the year or later. Besides trying to get in anywhere at holiday times is almost impossible. August ,everything shuts down. Most factories and businesses close. I don't know why they don't stagger the holidays, it would make it a lot easier to reserve somewhere.

Covid. Just seen on news that our cases are going down fairly quickly and thank goodness so are deaths. We are opening up .any businesses but still having to be careful

Heard that AZ isn't being administered in our village now so don't know what our second one will be

• Upvote 1

TLOTO and I had our first AZ injection yesterday, I am fine but she has a headache and aches all over.

Very efficient, in fact I never felt the jab. We also booked in for our flu jabs next month and our second AZ dose in early August.

I may be being a 'whittle arse' as my mam used to say but the easing next week and the growing Indian variant in the North West  look like a resurgence  waiting to happen.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

No ones safe, until every one is safe. I agree Brew.

We were due to start a two week holiday today, but on Doctors advice, we have had to cancel . A bit disappointed but common sense tells us it would be unwise. Still ill after Pancreatitis, so even though we had the virus in Nov and Dec and both had both vaccines, we don't want the risk of even a mild dose of Covid again.

I still think Covid is a very scary illness and worries me for the future.

Let’s hope it isn’t a case of deja vue again with this new variant. I noticed it is being classed as bought into the country by plane. Possibly India should have been put on red list earlier and those arriving from there going into compulsory quarantine for 14 days or is it 10 now when they came here. Once again horse and bolted comes to mind.
I am fed up of being thanked for all the sacrifices only to have a delay on something that seems logical co....g everything up AGAIN. 

• Upvote 1

The amount of people calling for extended lockdowns & restrictions is staggering. I think some folk got used to & like getting 80% wages for doing nothing? Another lockdown on the way, will we accept it? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about ours. Rang for a repeat prescription - 6 weeks thank you very much and after a receptionist demanded to know what it's for, I thought they weren't supposed to know?

Any road up whilst there made mention of my chronic tinnitus and.... make another appointment! In and out in less than five mins...

That is just the point RR I DON’T want any more lockdowns and want to get back to as much as normal as possible. Don’t know anyone who is getting 80% to stay at home so can’t comment on what they think.

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

I'm not sure about ours. Rang for a repeat prescription - 6 weeks thank you very much and after a receptionist demanded to know what it's for, I thought they weren't supposed to know?

Any road up whilst there made mention of my chronic tinnitus and.... make another appointment! In and out in less than five mins...

I tried the POD system for repeat prescriptions about 3 times. On each occasion the person on the other end of the phone said, for certain items, " you can't have that as you've still got 7 days supply".

Now, I just nip down to the surgery and drop my repeat in a letterbox marked 'Repeat Prescriptions'. It's simpler, the hardest bit about using POD is actually getting through. These calls are taken by people at home, using computers to order (one lady I spoke to said she was working from her bedroom as it was the only place to keep her pc.)