Good to hear of the UK's success in its Covid vaccination program.

We are still bumbling along with our vaccine roll-out we have administered 4,642,703 doses against the government set target for this phase of 13,600,000. If we continue at this rate we wont all be vaccinated until May 2022. Please send us someone that knows how to run a vaccination program as no one in our Liberal (Conservative) led Federal Government appears to know how to do it. In an astonishing revelation the Aged Care Services Minister revealed yesterday that the government did not know exactly how many aged care workers had had the jab. This is sheer incompetence and should result in him losing his job, but won't as it appears, like in the UK, Ministerial responsibility has long been abandoned in the Westminster system.

Had my flu jab last week and my arm was really sore, I had no effects from the Covid Jab. Final Jab due in early August. 

Keep safe everyone, this pandemic is a long way from being fully under control as events in Melbourne last week have shown.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

But where is the harm? It costs you nothing and serves to demonstrate the degree of care and precaution the establishment is taking in safeguarding your health.

They have a duty of care and masking is one way to assure customers they're talking it seriously.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems a bit pointless to me. In my local last week we were greeted at the door by the barmaid, who wasn’t wearing a mask, who told us we had to wear a mask until we were seated. We walked 15 feet, sat down and removed our masks. I don’t know if she sanitised her hands before she brought the glasses to the table. 

• Like 2

Phil and Ct. The thing is you dont know who the people next to you are or where they've been or even who they've been in contact with, so its makes sense to use your mask until you are seated. Must say here people are being responsible. First time a cappuccino in the bar this morning for a long long time. We sat outside as there was just one table empty and to my surprise my friend was sitting at the next table both wearing masks we greeted each other. Looked around and if not eating or drinking most were wearing their masks. Even round the market didnt see anyone without one.

If they did not enforce the rules then clowns would see no obvious signs that things are not yet  back to normal. With no visible reminder that precautions are still required they would assume safeguards are no longer necessary.

It may seem excessive but it serves to keep us mindful that we still need to be careful.

Will it make any difference? I have no idea, nor does anyone else.

Even if it is totally pointless what is so onerous that you object to walking a few paces (probably only a few seconds) wearing a mask? Does it hurt? will it cost you anything? Do we not need to be a little more respectful towards others?

Can anyone state with absolute certainty they or any member of their party is not asymptomatic?

You do of course have a choice, nobody is holding a gun and forcing you into the pub...

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We were the only three people in the pub!

It only took one to start a global pandemic..

• Like 1

There is a lot that needs to be done over the coming months. Ignoring the covidiots who are assuming that everything can just go back to "how it was", there needs to be a multi-pronged approach. The vaccine manufacturers will be working flat out to produce all the variants of the new vaccines as well as the usual flu ones. As a society, we need to move to the pan-asian approach to mask-wearing; ie; always wear one in company (at least when we have a cold) 

This should drive down the strain on the NHS come Autumn, and may give us all breathing space.

Just a thought.....

• Like 1

Like I said Brew, we were the only people in the pub. If the pubs are open and you can sit at a table without wearing a mask I just can’t see the logic or the science in walking to the table having to wear one. I will always obey the law as long as there is a good reason behind it. I will continue to wear a mask in shops and similar places for the foreseeable future as I think that must be the reason I haven’t had a cold this winter. Perhaps pubs should never have been permitted to open until the situation was more clear.

The clue is in your reply, sitting at a table where you should be distanced from fellow diners, not moving about and possibly passing close to them. The number of customers in the pub is irrelevant and so few indicates to me that many are still not comfortable to mix in close proximity.

No, it’s always quiet at 9pm. on a Monday. That’s why we go at that time. I’m not convinced of the logic. When we were sitting at the table we were talking, laughing and joking. When we walked in we were not. I believe the virus is mainly passed by aerosols so we would have been generating those at the table during our conversation and not when we walked into the room. I want to hear a scientific, logical explanation for the rule. ‘You’ve got to do it because the Government says so’ is not sufficient for me. Being over 70 we’ve all had two jabs. We hadn’t met for 15 months and didn’t go the previous week as there was no official confirmation that we were protected against the Indian variant at the time. All I want is scientific facts to convince me of the current, somewhat vague, rules.

I can't offer empirical evidence but to me it's really not that complex.

Sitting you have a sphere of influence through breathing and minimal movement of 4 square meters, the recommended social distance for diners as I understand it. Walking 3 meters, presumably still breathing, and it can easily increase to 12, a 300% increase in area. With company, a wife, girlfriend, someone else's wife etc. rather than being alone it increases still further.

As a pilot you well understand air turbulence and walking in enclosed premises, in reasonably still air will only serve to help distribute the aerosol effect... 

I can't argue that the rules are not somewhat ambiguous but to lay down a set of regulations to cover every conceivable situation is hardly practicable.

----------------

On another tack, PM the famous curmudgeon laughing and joking!!!   :Shock:

As Boris says ‘follow the science’. Give me the science. I doubt that just walking through an area will generate aerosols. Perhaps it was wrong to open the pubs and restaurants in the first place. I’ll reconsider next Monday’s meet up. I’m not a curmudgeon! smile2

I would turn it on its and say where's the science that says it doesn't. I see no difference walking in a pub or supermarket but we will have to agree to disagree...

Stay safe...

I’ve been looking up the Government’s guidance/rules on mask wearing. Apparently when removing a mask you should avoid touching your face and should immediately wash your hands thoroughly. This would not be possible at a pub/restaurant table unless bowls were provided. This is yet another example of the illogical messages from the authorities which the public have to interpret.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

the public have to interpret.

Using one's initiative. Wife and I  carry a small vial of 80% alcohol hand gel each. I've seen some others do the same when out. Others don't. We keep one in the car. 

The possibly infallible way of doing things would be a meticulous step by step instruction manual for everyone taking in all conceivable and possible eventualities. Public spaces and premises should be rebuilt to a standard layout that can be CCTV monitored and  instructions enforced. There will still be those who don't, can't or won't comply. These principles can be taken as far as one can imagine ad absurdium. This would immediately be denounced as over intrusive overbearing and authoritarian. Which do we do? That's life, we're in exceptional times and circumstances, it's not quite like the good old days. i think using the general recommendations, look out for one's self and others while there are these extraordinary dangers about.  

With the greatest respect, sir.

I remain Yours etc.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

This is yet another example of the illogical messages from the authorities which the public have to interpret.

This is something of a deflection from the original wearing of masks in a pub but as WW and I have pointed out regulating for every circumstance simply can't be done and it's reasonable for the authorities to rely on peoples common sense to protect themselves and others as far as possible.

But I really don't get it, we're talking about wearing a mask for the very few seconds it takes to walk to a socially distanced table. Even if the chance of spreading the virus is vanishingly small, a chance, like the lottery is still a chance

It’s still taking a chance being in a pub or restaurant with other people seated at tables and not wearing masks. The fact of walking to the table wearing a mask has little bearing on the situation. It would have perhaps been better for the regulations not to have been relaxed but the Government has to make a value judgement between getting businesses back on their feet, collecting tax revenue and the possibility of transmitting the virus. I’m sure sensible people will take the necessary precautions for their own protection. Looking at the Government’s website I feel it could have provided more detailed guidance but then again who bothers to read it!

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Looking at the Government’s website I feel it could have provided more detailed guidance but then again who bothers to read it!

Yeah but no but, as per your request nanny has given you clear advice, wear a mask from door to table, can't be any clearer than that can it?

Whether we agree or not is irrelevant 

So your drinks are now brought to your table on a tray, but you have to take them off the tray because the waiter can not touch them, who put them on the tray & who poured them in the first place?

Time to stop this snowflake, woke, wetwipe madness :crazy:  

• Like 3