We’ve given up on Morrison’s. We’ve been having home deliveries for some months and there have been many times when items have been missing or substituted. Last Saturday the missing items were steaks, pork chops, chicken and black pudding, so no meals for the weekend! Apparently they had a rush in the shop on the previous Friday. We’re now back to shopping in person at Lidl Bingham and Waitrose Newark, with occasional trips to the Gonalston farm shop. Lidl’s prices are amazing cheap. It’s hardly worth them charging you for the food! The quality’s good as well. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Home deliveries are under review here. Wine etc ordered through Amazon was OK but now the driver has taken to playing 'don't knock a door run' and just dumps goods anywhere regardless of the weather. Morrisons online for some reason is picked and delivered from the Bulwell store, as you say a number of missing items is now a common experience

People have become inured to Covid now and don't see to be taking it as seriously as they should despite the rise we are seeing in some places.

I stopped having wine deliveries since the drivers kept leaving the cases at the end of the drive in full view of the lane. The local farm shop stocks Laithwaites wines which was one of the deliveries and there are some good wines at Lidl if you choose carefully. Waitrose wines are a rip-off . Home deliveries were a lifeline during the lockdowns and I vowed I would never go to a supermarket again. Now I’m quite enjoying going out to buy food and wine again! I had to go into Nottingham on Friday for a car service (another rip-off). I came back via Alfreton Rd. and Forest Rd. and was shocked to see how shabby and run down that area has become. Also the unkempt central reservations on the ring road were a disgusting mess. It was good to get back to the tidy countryside.

Darwin in the Northern Territory has gone into a 48 hour lockdown. Apparently the queues outside the bottle shops (off licenses) have been longer than those at the supermarkets. At least they have got their priorities right.

Second day of not wearing masks outdoors. In this heat its a relief. Sorry to hear UK cases are going up at an alarming rate. Not wearing masks anywhere where cases are high is sheer stupidity. They are ruining the fight to keep covid at least at bay. Don't they think before they go anywhere or havent they got a brain.

I am starting invigilating at the local school from Friday, not sure whether it will be one on one or in the big room with more pupils. It was quite difficult to decide what to do especially as Nottingham cases are rising again and I do know some schools have had outbreaks of Delta although I don’t know  about the school I am going to, it hadn’t had any cases for a while when I was in there in April/May. 
So I will be wearing my mask, using my taffix spray, making sure windows are open and placing my (hopefully not misguided) trust in my Pfizer vaccine to protect me if not from catching it but making it less severe.
As to July 19th I can understand why they want to relax some restrictions. The ones that do worry me somewhat are the relaxing of social distancing and wearing of masks especially as the Delta is so transmissible. I will still be wearing my mask in supermarkets etc. for the time being and keeping my distance from others as much as possible. I know some won’t agree with this but it is what I am comfortable with for the time being. 

• Like 1

Four of us sat at table outside pub when two others joined us at the table.I got up and moved to another table...My move was greeted with derision.Told 'em like it or not I was not prepared to sit shoulder to shoulder. They think I'm a funny sod but bugger them....IT HASN'T GONE AWAY AND I DON'T INTEND BECOMING A STATISTIC.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Good for you Poobear, more power to your elbow. You made your choice and stood by it. Bugger the others ! You have my admiration.

I woulda done the same, (could even move to a different pub).

Take care. B.

The police can bust a few dozen party goers and hand out £10,000 fines but hundreds  milling around the market square like idiots is OK because it's football innit...

Guilty ..... I was in Nottingham Market Square last night after England’s fantastic win for a game of 300 a side boot it as hard as you can football fantastic atmosphere with a few bars of “It’s coming home, it’s coming home, footballs coming home” Same again Saturday please.

E5EgWxdWYAAkWrb?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

England won??????? Who were they playing? The German blind 5 a-side team? :rotfl:

• Like 1

It seems a game of football robs people of what little common sense they had. For some, they or someone they came into contact with, it may well be the last game they see... enjoy muppets. 

Football linked to 2,000 Scottish Covid cases - BBC News

• Like 2

Infection rates are rising is this due to more testing ? Are the tests accurate ?

The death rate is still very tiny & are they actually Covid deaths or deaths with positive test within the last ,28 days ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We need to get on with life and get rid of the fear factor.  Keep washing your hands and wearing a mask inside shops but goodness me, let’s get this country moving again.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, catfan said:

Infection rates are rising is this due to more testing ? Are the tests accurate ?

The death rate is still very tiny & are they actually Covid deaths or deaths with positive test within the last ,28 days ?

Good questions CF and I don't think there can be a definitive answer though I trust the official figures rather more than the Covid deniers,  FaceBook wannabe experts and rumour mongers.

Death rates may be tiny as a percentage of the population (does that make it OK?), but quite a large percentage of an individuals family. 

The virus is spread mainly by close encounters of the contaminated kind and those infected and spreading the disease are usually asymptomatic (they have no symptoms), so quite happily charge around Tesco or the market square blissfully unaware they are putting people at risk, or maybe don't give a damn.

We need to remember Covid is global, it's infected and still infecting millions - but started with just one single individual.

Other questions that cannot be answered with certainty is how much more serious would it be if we took zero precautions or if people fully followed the recommendations would we now be free, clear and getting on with our lives?

Looking at it logically it's hardly going to break us if we just use a bit of common sense, it's not rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We received a txt message from the place we go to on Sunday for lunch to cancel our reservation yesterday as they had a positive test on one of their staff. It means some of the other workers are now self isolating so they are only doing takeaways for a while. We haven’t been contacted by track and trace (is this still going haven’t heard much about it recently) so presume we didn’t come into contact with the staff member thankfully. 
The thing that annoys me is when covoid is compared with flu. It isn’t flu (yes I do know there are deaths from flu every year). For one thing flu is seasonal, covoid isn’t, flu mutates very slowly covoid mutates quickly and seems to be getting more virulent not less. I have seen a report of a strain from Peru (and yes there are cases here) which is once again making the vaccination a lot less effective. It seems inevitable that there will eventually be a strain that will get round the vaccine. 
It does seem like we are (unwillingly) in an experiment to see what happens after July 19th with the government reneging on their responsibility to, at least, try to keep the population safe. Headlines in the papers say we are a “Petri dish” with the rest of the world waiting to see what happens when we “open up”. Would anyone like to hazard a guess? I really hope that it all goes well but I will still be wearing my mask and keeping my distance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Many of the so called experts have been completely wrong in their estimations. Was it Chris Whitty who quoted Covid deaths 10 X more than they actually we're ?

I am not a Denver of Covid but just who do we believe ?

Hospitals are not at breaking point as some will tell you.

What you say is true and no one denies there have been mistakes and misunderstandings. Collating data on a nationwide scale must be a mammoth task in a situation such as this and perfect knowledge is only possible after the event. 

Like you I doubt much of what I read (including that the England team are demigods) and some of the so called 'popular press' should be ashamed of the hype printed and the way they play fast and loose with the facts.

'Hospitals in crisis' is a more dramatic headline than 'they're very busy at the moment'. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm surprised that Boris is attempting to "openup". Why cant he wait til after the football has been finalised ( a few weeks after) and when numbers have decreased not increased. I'm all for everyone being free but at the moment I think its folly but can understand.

23 hours ago, catfan said:

Why host the football anyway ?

Can you imagine if it was postponed or cancelled. You'd have half the population going into withdrawal symptons. Things have to be done and at the " right" time. By the way I'm not a football fan but happy for those who are. It'll bring a lot of pleasure to them.

CF yes I wondered why they were hosting it in London. Maybe thinking the weather might be cooler:rolleyes: