A friend of ours went out to get a few bits in his local supermarket in Suffolk last week and then he and his wife popped into Wagamama for a quick meal. Next day he got ‘pinged’ and told to isolate for 10 days.  He was so annoyed, he’s had two jabs and no symptoms but he’s been stuck at home for a week already and wants (and needs) to get to work.  

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

That is the dilemma of isolating. Having no symptoms doesn’t mean you haven’t got it unfortunately, the same with having two jabs and you could still spread it. Having a test after a week say, then resuming work if it is negative and keep having a test every day until the end if the isolation period would seem better. The only problem with that is the accuracy of the Lateral flow tests it would have to be a “proper” test. This is why people are, apparently, uninstalling the covoid app.

I must admit I agree with nonnaB about the opening up. It seems like madness to drop everything in one go especially as the cases are now rising so fast again. The figures of 50,000 - 100,000 cases a day are frightening, it seems we are back at herd immunity again although I am not sure if that works when the virus mutates so quickly, perhaps someone with more knowledge can put me right on that. The worrying thing is that a mutation will circumvent the vaccine and we are back to square one again as it seems the virus is ramping up rather than becoming more benign (spelling?). Plus if deaths are now 1 in a 1000, that is 50 to 100 deaths a day.

I know things have to open up as businesses are suffering badly but still think face masks should be mandatory in shops etc. it is only a small thing after all. Then it’s your own choice if you go to the pub etc. or not. 
As to schools, it would seem they are being thrown to the wolves somewhat. I am invigilating at the moment, last 2 exams next week. The school has cases but are taking all precautions as mandated and most of the kids wear masks, at least the ones we have been involved with, so why end it? After all prevention is better than cure especially with this virus. 

• Like 3

DiL and family are also isolating. It seems the new build estate on Strelley bypass is becoming a hotspot...

Its on the right hand side of the Strelley bypass as you travel from Nuthall island towards Coventry Lane.  Or to put it another way its between Strelley bypass and the M1/A610

We are having increased cases now.last week it was under 100 now last night it was 1500+. We are still wearing masks although we can go without outdoors. France has an obligation now to get vaccine done to those who work with the public. If not they don't work and don't go anywhere

Wonder if it will have a domino effect with other countries following. One thing is for sure its not going to go away on its own. Keep safe everyone

Cases are increasing across Australia and we have nowhere near as many fully vaccinated as the UK due to a total fail by our federal government.

We have closed our state to almost all others except returning residents and over fifty % of the Australian population is in lockdown. Amid all this, luckily, in Australia we only have 983 current cases with 128 receiving hospital treatment and 22 of those in ICU. Quarantine is mandatory for all people entering Australia.

The rules of what can open and can't and restrictions on numbers is different in each state and I watch with interest the different rules being mandated or advised in the UK re Wales, Scotland and England as so called "Freedom Day" approaches. This pandemic is a long way from over but it certainly looks like vaccination reduces the severity of the disease if you contract it.

Keep safe everyone.

There will be a new wave of infections after lockdown ends, of that I have little doubt.

There will of course be those who welcome the new sense of freedom and those who scream incompetence and irresponsibility with the blessed blonde one stuck in the middle.

We can only hope that a years worth of data plus a high percentage of vaccinations give the statisticians enough to accurately predict  what will happen next.

Brew. I think that 'will be'..is already passed.  Covid infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths are already rising in all areas, and yet morons countrywide are still refusing vaccinations, whilst many refuse to wear masks even now, before 'lockdown' ends.

Part of the problem in my view is that huge numbers of people no longer watch TV news..which, whilst it is far from perfect, at least keeps us reasonably well informed about developments.

Huge numbers of people, including at least one of my daughters, seem to only get any news from social media, which of course exposes them to the lunatic fringe just as much as, in fact probably more so, than the voice of reason.

Cases on the increase here too. Airports, nowhere are checking passengers. We noticed that when we went to Sicily a few weeks ago. Now in a few weeks time we are going again ( we hope) unless things get really worse. 177 no vax workers have had their wages stopped because they refuse to be vaccinated. I know it takes away freedom but I think Macron has the right idea. Wish our lot would consider it because there are thousands  over 60 's that havent been vaccinated at all or only had one dose. 

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Part of the problem in my view is that huge numbers of people no longer watch TV news.

I tend to disagree Col, they watch it but suffer information overload until the facts and figures start to lose meaning or relevance. The figures blur as expert after expert is trotted  forward to   espouse whichever theory is flavour of the day. The idiot media calling tomorrow 'Freedom Day' sends entirely the wrong message...

For what it's worth I think Hancock did a better job than Javid is doing.

No Brew. Millions just don't watch TV in the way we do.  They watch streaming services etc . 

I agree that if they do watch 'traditional' TV they get lost.. but that is as much to do with intellect and education as with News coverage.  My experience of Facebook makes it very clear to me that millions of people are now exposed to all sorts of 'info' that they are ill equiped to deal with as they have no analytical skill, no discrimination, no grasp of statistics etc. and will just latch onto any old shite without question. 

There was one today claiming that there is no virus and all illness is caused by masks full of Graphene Oxide.  Whatever the merits or otherwise of Graphene Oxide (I did a brief scan of it) there is no evidence that it is widely used in face masks, or that it is toxic even if used in such applications. Even less evidence that the virus does not exist.  But sadly, the internet has allowed everyone an opinion on this stuff and truly informed opinions are increasingly rare.

P.S.  Agree that Javid is more 'hawkish' in his approach to the plebs and his unspoken but obvious support for 'business first'.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

I tend to disagree Col, they watch it but suffer information overload until the facts and figures start to lose meaning or relevance.

I agree with Brew. On our TV we have an endless round of press conferences from each states' premier and medical officers with the media asking the same stupid questions over and over again.

Yebbut.. 

Have you worked out:

-Masks reduce transmission and are a protection for others, not yourself?

-That Covid vaccines are as safe as any vaccines, that vaccines may damage small numbers of people.. just like all vaccines.., but on balance do far more good than harm?

-That most people now dying of Covid in the UK are NOT vaccinated.

The above, plus Social Distancing.. are about all you need to know and all you can do to protect yourself and others.

Thing is.. much of this is clearly NOT getting through to certain groups.  Some being ethnic minorities, but the bulk being just younger people who are entirely reliant upon F'book etc.. for their 'news'.

I've said it several times now..  the internet has enabled everyone to voice their opinion. Sadly it has not endowed everyone with the ability to form an INFORMED opinion, or to discriminate between factual content and malicous misinformation. (And these people have a vote...)

10 hours ago, catfan said:

MSM being too biased .

In which direction?

Perhaps you have more information than I but the figures I'm looking at say that 'traditional' TV is still holding over 70% of viewers with regard to other form of media. At that level it would be reasonable to assume 30% for other sources but we have to factor in the fact that many households subscribe to more than one source and therefore the skew the statistics - but I digress.

I can't comment in anything more than the most general of ways about Facebook, I don't have an account but I don't really believe users are like Catherine Tate characters. There is I grant strong evidence that scurrilous posting can sometimes gain traction but they don't last long...

This could turn into a long analysis that would bore the t*** of most so suffice to say I have a little more faith in the collective intellect of TV audiences, the problems arise from confusing and often contradictory information

Jim..  Does that 70% include the younger element of this country? I'd argue  that the younger folks are mostly the 30% which have deserted 'traditional' TV.

I use F'book and also look at BBC News at least once daily.  If you were to look at F'book you would see a morass of misinformation, with a bit of NHS info poking up here and there.

I do not see how BBC News is 'confusing'.  Daily stats for infections, vaccinations and deaths are hardly challenging, even to a mathematical moron like me.

We are seeing ever increasing numbers vaccinated, higher infection rates amongst the unvaccinated and lower death/hospitalisation rates among the vaccinated. How hard is that to grasp?

As for viewing.. It's obviously not straightforward.. but given that younger people these days often seem to have the attention span of a Gnat. I doubt they watch, or understand, much news.  This is borne out anecdotally by my youngest.  She is highly intelligent, but clueless about current affairs etc.

17 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I do not see how BBC News is 'confusing'.

It becomes confusing when the same or similar facts are presented in different ways by different people to excess and people switch off or simply stop paying attention. 

When the blessed one did his daily Covid address he had two wingmen who simply repeated and agreed with each other but said it in a different way.

In other news items the media scrambled around until they found a talking head to offer opposing views.

Looney tunes is not the sole purview of Facebook. I'm sure many must read these silly things but not really sure how much of it people actually believe.

18 hours ago, catfan said:

To the left of course.

I will give you my view on that in the Politics thread CF.

Is Boris still opening up Monday in view of the 50.000 cases he predicted?

Keep safe and sensible everyone.