Thanks one and all. thumbsup Ube, I'll  see if can find somebody to translate your post for me. I'm afraid I don't speak posh. :Shock:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

And this is a positive result, from my 5 year old Grandson 3 weeks ago.

PCR test, the laboratory one confirmed it.

He caught Covid from a teacher in the last week at school.

It's barely noticeable but next to the T is a bar that indicates positive.

C is just a control marker.

81ok9eK.jpg

Thanks BK. We’re not worried this time around as we know a lot more about the virus than when we caught it in March 2020. We've been vaccinated and we’re well used to taking the simple precautions - hand washing, wiping down surfaces, keeping distance, etc.

Main worry is shopping, especially keeping the wife’s wine supply flowing!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, ube said:

lateral flow immunochromatographic

Moving horizontally.  Not sure where the immuno comes in.. but chromatography is a method for identifying different substances by passing them through a medium which causes them to separate and show up as different things rather than one big mess.

Lateral flow tests seem to be a form of paper chromatography.

In the Coal Board labs, we employed 'gas chromatography'.. in which a sample of gas.. typically a mine air sample, was passed through a column of stuff which separated individual gaseous components, which could then be identified and measured as they passed over some form of detector. The results came up on a meter, or a chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatography

19 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

And this is a positive result, from my 5 year old Grandson 3 weeks

And that's what used to grind me gears with whole face mask thing.... You'd go in the supermarket and you had to wear your mask but there be hords of kids not wearing masks because they didn't have to!!!!! 

Hope ya grandson is making a good recovery. 

Ube,

Day 1 he complained his head hurt (not headache)

Night time same day, he woke up shouting the house is on fire, never done that before.

It's a fairly new house so has many smoke detectors, apparently hallucination is a symptom.

That was it, apart from the whole family being in isolation for 10days.

Daughter in Law works from home so no change.

My Son was off with the kids.

Track and Trace were on the phone within minutes of the email confirming positive PCR test result.

At least 2 or 3 other kids in the class caught it.

Hope your grandson is better, it’s worrying when you send kids to school and they return home with an unwanted guest. Irresponsible if the teachers aren’t vaccinated and terrible for the kids.

Nonna, yes he appears to be O.K

I don't know if the teacher was vaccinated but once found positive all the kids were sent home as it's a small village school and it was the last week as well.

What was slightly odd was he didn't test positive (lateral flow) untill day 6.

Daughter in Law originally qualified and worked as a Childrens Nurse and now works for Public Health England so she'd been testing the whole family regularly since the test kits have been freely available.

This was mid isolation when Grandson and Grand daughter were in the care of my son,,,,

UdRuH8K.jpg

• Upvote 1

My grandson tested positive some time ago by one of these quick tests but then was tested “ properly” and he was negative. It had us scared and a lot of kids in his class had to stay home but he’s been fully vaccinated now and has been with us to Sicily ( now returning) much to his sorrow.

I noticed Asda is giving £10 discount to encourage younger people to have their jabs, Uber and Deliveroo are doing the same. Umm hang on a minute what about those of us who had the jab when called without an incentive? 
(Is the site running slow at the moment or is it my broadband? Took ages to load up today.)

It's not you, SG. I'm having similar problems.

Yes, I'd commented on the discrimination between incentives for the young and nowt for us older ones, yet again. Time we started saying, what's in it for us? Otherwise, on your bike!

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My incentive for having the vaccine was to avoid catching the virus

Having the jab will not stop you catching it, just means you might not pop your clogs, them having the jab for something that will be no more than a sniffle, might stop them passing it to you? I'm not sure a tenner, free taxi or a free takeaway will twist their arm, I'd sit tight & hang out for more ;) 

Me and the missus love travelling, especially Mrs Gorritt who had severe cabin fever during lockdown. As soon as we could, we booked to go to Barbados. We were advised to download the BIMSafe app to speed our progress through Bridgetown airport, so we duly did, uploaded vaccination certs, PCR test results, contact details etc., etc. We were then advised to download the Verifly app, so did that and uploaded etc., etc. Then we were told to download the British Airways app - so we did that as well. We had a PCR before we went, another at the airport in Barbados, one in the hotel before we came back and another when we got back - paying for 3 out of the 4. Fortunately we had printed out all of the certificate, as NOBODY wanted to look at the apps. Complete waste of time! Barbados airport was chaotic, our “luxury” hotel had no hot water for 11 of the 12 days we were there, getting a clean towel was a major operation, and most of the staff were rude and surly!

Travel post Lockdown is a pain in the bum and I’m going to Skeggy until further notice!!

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Booked package with Jet2 in Lanzarote middle of September no testing before you fly, test done in hotel on 12th day before we fly home & some test 2 days after being home, jobs a goodun. 

Don't take it for granted thats what they are going to do. We have just come back from Palermo in Sicily, green pass dont want to know neither in Genoa . No swabs anywhere to be seen only thing was in PA they were asking for passengers arriving from Malta, Spain, Greece and some other countries to go to the testing area but where it was nobody knew. Airport shoulder to shoulder, people lying on floor as no seats available. No food on planes as they had run out. Queues for refreshments miles long.

BUT we had a good time and we deserved it in spite of extrememly high temperatures. Hope you enjoy it too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly today Australia passed a very much unwanted milestone in its battle with covid, 1,000 deaths. Whilst not a huge number compared to the rest of the world every death, anywhere brings untold grief for mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, other family members and friends. This pandemic is a long way from over so get vaccinated and stay safe.

The recent surge in cases in NSW has seen a change in their political rhetoric from eliminating the virus to learning to live with it. States like WA, SA, Tas and Qld which at the moment are largely free of community transmitted cases of covid are starting to question the "opening up" of society at the mooted 70-80% vaccination rate which has been "agreed' between state and Federal governments.

I do hope we can open up safely as I dearly want to make one last trip to the UK but there are a lot of people on spaceship earth who are yet to receive any doses of vaccine and we need to turn our attention towards helping them.

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

I do hope we can open up safely as I dearly want to make one last trip to the UK but there are a lot of people on spaceship earth who are yet to receive any doses of vaccine and we need to turn our attention towards helping them.

We certainly need to help the rest of the World, but sadly, and IME unsurprisingly, we are already seeing evidence that even 2 jabs only give time limited protection. We will be no use to anyone if we lapse back into the infection/death rates we were seeing back in January.  Things are bad enough now at an average 30000 new cases and around 100 deaths per day....yet much of the population is now acting as if the pandemic is over.

Meanwhile my late sister's husband, whose daughter..my neice.. is a Covid Vaccinator.. has proved Covid positive after 2 jabs..  Fingers crossed that he doesn't get really sick.