9 hours ago, radfordred said:

Not sure we can call it a vaccine, a vaccine is something which provides immunity, what we have just takes the edge off it. 

I'm quite happy to have the 'Edge' taken off of death.  You can't be 'a bit dead', you are either dead or alive.  Seems to me the jab increases your chances of being alive. I'm fully jabbed, but I'd have a jab a day if it kept Covid from killing me.

Now don't ask me to explain this bit Red, because I don't understand it either.. but some jabs give lifelong immunity and some don't.  Flu jabs are only partially effective for instance, and need 'boosting' every year, but they stop a lot of deaths.

As  understand it.. the Common Cold Research Unit which operated for decades here, was eventually wound up because they couldn't come up with either a 'cure',or a long term vaccine, against Colds., but then colds hardly ever kill people, so it was only really an economic consideration, to prevent millions of days of absences from work.

Colds are caused by Rhinoviruses and a few Coronaviruses. Our natural immunity doesn't last, which is why we get a few of them per year normally.

So it's hardly surprising that the Covid vaccines also fade.  They have not failed.  They have saved millions of lives.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

12 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Apparently there is a £60 fine in Wales if you’re caught going into the office if you can work from home. The police state Is here!

Police state my a£$e!! You ain't seen nothing yet.  That is a sensible sanction for people who insist on doing something they don't need to do.  No different to speeding.

Wait till Johnson, or his inevitably much more capable Tory successor tells you whether you can vote, or protest, or makes it impossible for you to appeal to the courts, because he will just overrule them. That is what Johnson and his Tory backers are working towards.

• Like 2

Which is the point I was making, different statisticians will draw different conclusions according to  whatever criteria they set out with.

Look hard enough and long enough and they will find something they can present as conclusive proof, just like any good conspiracy theory.

I have read quite a few reports, the one you quoted doesn't seem to be backed by such as :

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20210930/Comparison-of-Pfizer-Moderna-JJ-AZ-vaccines-for-neutralization-titer-against-Delta-and-other-variants.aspx

10 hours ago, radfordred said:

a vaccine is something which provides immunity

Not sure the scientists would support that statement RR

• Like 1

This house is watching the BBC Christmas Lecture series. The series so far this year has covered Covid, Sars,  flu, epidemiology, t-cells, the development of vaccines and how these work on viruses. Superbly illustrated with models and practical demonstrations as usual. Very enlightening.

• Like 2

I have it recording, but broached the topic rather diffidently with Mrs. Col, as she interprets my watching of the news at least once daily, and my general cautiousness over Covid, as 'obsession'.

Surprisingly, when I mentioned it, she said: "Oh..that should be interesting!"  :)

I was  first introduced to the idea of Christmas Lectures whilst at High Pavement.  Our mad Chemistry teacher 'Dinky' Dunn did a fine line in explosive lectures, and we were also taken to some at colleges in the City.

Aaahh, but the trick is to live, whilst giving over a suitable portion of your thoughts and actions, to the postponement of dying.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3
27 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Aaahh, but the trick is to live, whilst giving over a suitable portion of your thoughts and actions, to the postponement of dying.  :rolleyes:

As Woody Allen said, "The only way to live to be a hundred is to give up everything that makes it worth living that long"

My Grandma's interpretation "moderation in all things"

The trouble is, every day the "experts" add to my list of banned things as well as the things now found to be good for me.

24 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Very naughty @Brew

Ooer I've dun it again....  highlighted the bit I'm commenting on... helps with those who can't read more than three lines at a time..    :rolleyes:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Some spend more time thinking about dying than actually living.

To a certain degree I agree with you RR. 

As a founding member of the Coffin Club (meet every Sunday in the local), I and fellow members often discuss our mortality. We are all hoping to drop dead - not just yet I might add! No dying slowly in nursing homes for us. So we put our energies into keeping physically and mentally fit enough to enjoy a great quality of life prior to 'dropping'. We have proven that it works, being comfortably in our 80's. OK I was discharged from the cardiac ward last Thursday, but Friday was a good day. Bike and rowing machine am, then two of the Coffin Club around for a few beers pm. So that took care of the physical and mental side of things for the day. Went fly fishing on Monday with mates and caught a super 7 1/2 pounder. 

Life is good :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sadly we have had another death of with or from Covid, a two year old girl. My heart goes out to her family at this devastating time.

Meanwhile our pollie wafflers have come up with a new meaning of a "close contact". It is now defined as "Someone who has spent four hours or more with a confirmed case in a household or household like setting." What a cop out! Given that Omnicron is a more virulent strain and more easily transmissible can someone explain this logic to me? We have yet further abdication of responsibility by the ruling elite. All in the name of "protecting the system". Ballcocks, it is only about reducing costs to the governments and bu$$ger the poor serfs who are having difficulty getting tested or getting their booster shots. The government run vaccination clinic where we live closed on Christmas eve and will remain closed until 4 Jan 2022. In the midst of a pandemic this beggars belief. I suspect that the next announcement from the Feds will be "this thing has got away from us and the only thing we can do now is just to let it rip."

17 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Sadly we have had another death of with or from Covid, a two year old girl.

Whilst very low in comparison to older groups, it seems that all ages inccluding 0-5s are registering some deaths.  This is horrible,...and needs to be more widely publicised, in order to wake up some of the resolute idiots out there.

Meanwhile, it  seems that two more prominent Anti-Vaxxer/Covid Denier idiots..one in Italy and one in the Netherlands, have died from the very disease which they encouraged others to believe did not exist.  I find it very difficult to sympathise, as it is pretty much certain that others will have died after following their 'advice'.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Sadly we have had another death of with or from Covid, a two year old girl. My heart goes out to her family at this devastating time.

Meanwhile our pollie wafflers have come up with a new meaning of a "close contact". It is now defined as "Someone who has spent four hours or more with a confirmed case in a household or household like setting." What a cop out! Given that Omnicron is a more virulent strain and more easily transmissible can someone explain this logic to me? We have yet further abdication of responsibility by the ruling elite. All in the name of "protecting the system". Ballcocks, it is only about reducing costs to the governments and bu$$ger the poor serfs who are having difficulty getting tested or getting their booster shots. The government run vaccination clinic where we live closed on Christmas eve and will remain closed until 4 Jan 2022. In the midst of a pandemic this beggars belief. I suspect that the next announcement from the Feds will be "this thing has got away from us and the only thing we can do now is just to let it rip."

The duration (4 Hours) is too long considering it only took seconds to catch the Delta variant. It is too drastic a change so early in the "living with covid" phase and too narrow in its scope. What about work places? People will baulk at paying for the RAT when they can have the PCR test for free in spite of the excessively long queues and wait times.Will2017

DJ yes these no vaxers that have died denying covid including the Italian one ( and there will be many more) sorry but they deserve it. Its been 2 years that covid has been with us and enough publicity has been seen to encourage people to get vaccinated. But no they prefer to get a tampon up their nose at a price which has been increased in the last few days. For those whove not had a tampon shoved up their nose , its the worst feeling and after taste that you can imagine. ( we had to do it because my daughter had been in close contact with a vet treating her dog. He was on oxygen so we were worried) . Surely its cheaper having the vaccine and be done with it than have to have this awful test every 2 days.  It doesnt make sense.

Oz sorry about the situation with your vaccination centre being closed over the Festive season. I can understand and sympathise with those who have to work and wish to celebrate, its their right but to close their eyes to covid is a folly. Our vaccinations are continuing 24/24 and the queues are miles long. Not all vaccinations though most are for tampons. Why are people rushing now when theyve had 2 years. Maybe just maybe there are those who finally believe its real. 

Flucorona is the latest but apparently its only in Israel.A new word to learn??

We didn't get a card or stamp for our booster, nor offered any when I enquired. Which means we've no proof of when we had it.

Wor'nt even offered a cup of tea and biscuit !!

Yes I've got 3 cards in total, but they aren't any use for proof of vaccination.

You can get proof of vaccination either by phoning 119 or using the NHS app or online.

Printed copies are only valid 30 days.

A couple of friends have just had the paper version via 119 for travel to Spain.

Only took 5 days and that was including Xmas.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe how "loose" the above comments are concerning vaccinations. To have to search through 3 cards or letters to find the correct ones is daft.

I was under the impression that UK were to have a similar thing to our green card. Its so useful , everything in one place. Date of all vaccinations, what vaccine was used and third one the booster added to the rest. It also includes contact tracing all in an app on mine and others phones. 

What do you do if you're asked to provide proof of vaccinations. Can you go where you want and are there any restrictions.?