• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Other symptoms of Omicron variant

1. Mild hunger between meals

2. Feeling cold outside in the winter when not wearing a coat

3. Difficulty looking directly at the sun

4. Sweating while exercising

5. Becoming dizzy after spinning around

6. Inability to see in the dark

7. Water feeling wet on the skin

8. Tiredness at night

9. Thirst after long periods of not drinking

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Brew said:

I have three separate cards in my wallet

I have two.  First has dates of doses 1+2, 2nd has Booster.

1 hour ago, Gem said:

My daughter tells me that there are more Scottish drinkers in Newcastle than locals....

If what was shown on the BBC News earlier is anything to go by, most are  idiots.  People interviewed, clearly in their 40s to 60s, who clearly regard vaccines and 'restrictions', not as attempts to help them..but as  'impositions', to be 'worked around', by whatever means.

Utter cretins.

• Like 1

After the Federal government changed the rules on what constitutes a close contact our state chief medical officer said that we would still be using the former criteria of 15 minutes contact. Shortly afterwards our premier slapped her down and said we would be using the Federal measure. So much for following the medical advice and putting the community safety first, our toady premier buckled to the almighty dollar. No wonder people are getting aggravated when 25,000 people are allowed to attend a cricket match at the Adelaide Oval when pubs and clubs are limited to 1 person per 4 sq metres and home gatherings are limited to 10 people. There is a shortage of Rapid Antigen Tests kits, PPE is again in short supply and the medical/hospital/ambulance system is struggling to the extent that they have cancelled all elective surgery even in the private hospital system. Another example of changing the reporting system to show their incompetence in a better light.

When we opened our borders on November 23rd we had zero covid cases, today we have had 2108 cases and a total of around 11,000 cases. Instead of fixing the system of gaining permission to enter South Australia our buffoon of a premier decided to open the borders because that was what the other states were doing. WA excepted as they still continue to do their own thing their way.

Would you be surprised to know that in Australia you are classed as employed if you do 1 hours work in any 1 month.

I hope the Australian people vote to "Keep the Bastards Honest" at the upcoming election.

It would seem the majority of staff at Belgian station in Antarctica are  infected, symptoms are reported as mild. How the hell...?

It's difficult to know what to think about many aspects of the Pandemic now.  It does seem increasingly that the Omicron variant is less dangerous than the Delta, but there is little info so far as to who exactly is dying, and from which variant.

Even so, in the UK it looks like the massive increase in cases, is not reflected in a proportionate increase in hospitalisations and deaths. They are up.. but not as much as you'd expect with just Delta floating about.  Again..it's difficult to know how much this is because of protection by vaccine, lower lethality of Omicron, or a bit of both.

In our street, next door neighbour's daughter had Covid just before Christmas and said that whilst it was no picnic, she's had worse.(She no longer lives here)  Then, ten year old lad across the street got it.  His Mum, Dad and younger Sister apeared in the street at midnight on New Year's Eve and didn't seem too concerned.  I saw the lad through their window today and he looks fine.  That said, his Mum has ME, and is often bed bound for days. ..so I don't know how she is doing..

Meanwhile my youngest's partner and father of my third grandchild still is not jabbed and really will not discuss it.  He just says he'll get jabbed 'when he is ready'.  I've tried to reason with him but he won't have it. Awkward as he is otherwise brilliant.  Hard working, honest, barely drinks, doesn't smoke, ex British Army etc.

And speaking of children.. it seems there have been significant numbers of deaths of children from Covid, so that whilst it mostly attacks the elderly and weak, it also attacks some kids.

It is not over yet.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

It is not over yet.

But it might be soon. Omicron started in South Africa and they are now relaxing restrictions and getting back to normal. Their spike was notable, but it's coming down as quickly as it went up. We could copy them in a few weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59832843

I'd certainly hope so Kev.  But on the other hand there was talk of the Omicron variant 'displacing' the Delta, which I assume takes a finite time..

Meanwhile, it seems that Alliance Healthcare, which is the sole distributor of Lateral Flow Tests to Pharmacies, received a delivery of 2.5 million tests on Christmas Eve and promptly closed for four days, while thousands were desperately trying to get their hands on them.  You couldn't make it up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/03/uk-covid-test-distributor-shut-christmas-25m-kits

And many chemists closed at the same time, thus throwing demand on to those that stayed open. It's easy to throw stones at the big suppliers, but as ever the Guardian chooses to ignore that  there are more factors at play.

No idea why the quango UKHSA has to take delivery before they pass them on to Alliance, but they do. Realising there was a hiccup in the supply chain and were going to run out, they issued posters to pharmacies warning of shortages, hardly Alliance's fault.

Clearing some dead wood bureaucracy would help, there are simply too many fingers in the pie.

Wife & me did a lateral flow test on Saturday: she was positive & me negative. Both went for a PCR test yesterday at B&M car park Hucknall. Both did a LFT this morning: wife was still positive & me still negative. PCR test results came through this evening & we're both positive, I was just about to go to the chip shop when the PCR results came through, we ended up having marmalade on toast for tea. Won't be going anywhere for the next week or so, good job we did a big shop last week. Got a headache & snotty snotter but that's it so far...

Poor you Colly!  I keep hearing of so many people with the virus and feel lucky, so far, that I haven’t had it.  I woke up on Christmas Day with a full-on cold, but no headache.  Sneezing and nose-blowing all day but the next day I was perfectly OK, not even a runny nose, when I was thinking I was adding to the statistics.  Done a couple of LFT since and am clean.  Makes one wonder how accurate they are though.  This new variant isn’t bad (apparently) and is little more than a cold.   

• Like 1

It's always a worry how accurate home testing is and whether people follow the instructions properly. We did one each before visitors arrived on Boxing Day and both clear, but it is a faff and easy to get wrong.

Colly's experience demonstrates just how easy it is to be positive without realising it, kudos for taking affirmative action,  sympathies for having to eat something  as disgusting as marmalade.  thumbsup

Reading the reports of Omicron, I'm wondering if maybe we're over-reacting a little. There are some deaths reported sure, but perhaps they also had underlying problems, most say they had Covid, but that does not mean they necessarily died from it.

The vast majority of sufferers seem to say it's little more than a common cold.

• Like 1

Even if it is easy to fake a Lateral Flow, a positive outcome will have consequences for the rest of the household and will need an immediate follow up PCR test.

If I was in a household where anyone tested positive with a Lateral flow, whether a child or not, I'd want to see another test done in front of me.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning feeling mega grob, feel like I've been hit by a freight train. Wife Sue is OK though. Keep getting text messages to go on track & trace website & fill out a questionaire, but it keeps failing for some reason. My 7 days isolation should be up on Saturday if I do 2 negative LFT's & I feel OK...

Colly apart from feeling like crap and suffering the dreaded marmalade sandwiches, have they given you any other treatment? We hear lots about Covid but little about the treatment, if any.

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon Colly0410. 
I was supposed to be invigilating exams at the school for the next 2 weeks, but under the present circumstances am not doing them. Shame as a I do enjoy doing it, just hope things will have settled down by March when the next lot are due. 

• Like 1

@colly0410 I hope you’ll be negative after 8 days.  Our 20. year old grandson has only just tested negative this morning after 10 days in isolation with Covid!  He was still testing  positive on the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th day after his original positive test.  So what did he do this morning?  Drove over to Milton Keynes to do some shopping… not the best decision in my opinion ….

• Like 1