• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

So now our son who lives in the village has tested positive…. Apparently it’s like a heavy cold but he feels bad with it.   According to his wife, he’s ‘miserable’.  His son is just getting over the virus but his wife and daughter are  still testing negative.  We are just staying well clear of their house except we may take their dog out for a few walks to make things a bit easier for them.  

• Like 1

Reference Basford Hall Miners Welfare Club, it has definitely shut down, it was on Central News the other night. Loads of people outside who had booked wedding receptions and other events who were wondering what was happening. Apparently they will all be refunded.

• Like 1

I didn't realise that Basford Hall dates back to  the 18th C. Personally haven't been there since the late 60s when I worked at Coal Board labs in Cinderhill. 

Also..I'm led to believe that the hotel next door is keen to expand...

• Like 1
On 4/26/2020 at 2:10 PM, denshaw said:

The treasurer of Broxtowe ramblers is Wendy House.

Nothing to do with Covid, it just happens to be where the quoted comment appears. Slight amusement for today - I just delivered a parcel to Gwendoline House. (That's a person, not a dwelling). ' Bet she doesn't like it abbreviated  :biggrin:

Daughter's fiance just texted me his Covid test results. Positive. I said Bummer. He said yes, we have a friend flying in this weekend from Ohio to go to a concert with us. I said 'triple mask?' He said they are having Covid sniffing dogs at the entrance. He said, I wonder if I'll get my $180 ticket money back? He doubts it. We never watch the news so had no idea. Apparently they are using these dogs in schools now.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:20 PM, Beekay said:

Sorry Colly, I'm not driving over two hundred miles to B + M car park for a PCR test. In truth, I've had a box of test kits sat on my coffee table for about 6 weeks now, unused except opened to read the instructions, (says Nasal test only). We've been isolating now for nearly two years, with exception of a visit to Notts in December. And even there, we kept apart from folks.

you can order it by post - mine came next day - I did the pcr and send it by post on friday - on saturday they texted the result. go online to order by post

Tuesday I joined the ranks of the majority. I'm fine , started with  a slight sore throat and feeling very tired. Went to bed early and slept almost 12 hours ( very unusual for me ) woke up with a headache which was probably due to sleeping too much. During the day I was fine but we both decided to test for covid. I haven't been out for a long while but we both tested positive. Husband had a slight cough on Monday. Anyway we are both fine no symptoms but Dr said no need to inform authorities as we had had our 3 rd dose. Just stay in and if you have to go out distant ourselves and wear ffp2 masks. Yesterday we were still positive so hoping at least me will be negative before wednesday as I have to have a P.E.T. Scan on friday and it'll be ages before I can get another one booked.

Apparently it seems to be Omicron variant which only has cold symptoms, I had a cold for only one day. At least if thats what its like itll keep most out of hospital.  I can only rhink I got it from my husband although the day before he was negative. A mystery.

• Like 1

Pleased you don’t feel too ill, nonna.  I hope you’ll test negative before your P.E.T scan this week. x

I think we have enough evidence now to say the vaccines are effective; to varying degrees.

The question is how effective are they against variants and how long do they remain so. 

AstraZeneca loses 6% efficacy and Pfizer loses 12% in the same time period after the second shot—hence the need for a booster.

There is, in my view, every chance it will become an annual ritual like the 'flu jab. Topping up with vaccines as they are developed to meet any changes, or simply to boost our immunity.

• Like 1

Of course the jab affects your immune system. Vaccines work by stimulating your immune system to produce antibodies, exactly as it would if you were exposed to the disease. After getting vaccinated, you develop immunity to that disease, without having to get the disease first.

• Like 1

It seems that those people who have been vaccinated seem to get a less severe form of the illness.  This has proved true for lots of my friends - the illness only lasts 2 days or so and seems to be like a very bad cold or flu with extreme tiredness.  The fatigue seems to lasts longer than th other symptoms though.

• Like 1

Thanks Margie, only a faint line this morning but obviously still positive. I really feel that if we hadnt had our 3rd dose we would have been worse. You are right about only lasting a few days, I dont think I had it that long , at the moment I feel like I didnt even know about it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, radfordred said:

I do wonder if the jab effects your immune system?

All these double & triple jabbers now getting Covid?

What Phil said above.

Also, as I read it, vaccinated people can still transmit the disease to others, but they do so less, and obviously if they get over it quicker, that makes for less transmission too.

There was a piece on North West BBC news tonight about hospital cases. A chap who was unvaccinated, just coming off a ventilator after a month and urging people to get the vaccine. A Doc in the unit pointing out that everybody needing intensive support was unvaccinated.  Vaccinated people can still get ill, but generally less so..although if you are very weak or vulnerable you might still not survive.

Our best and longest friends, a couple slightly younger than us, both have Covid and at least so far seem to be suffering little more than a cold. He is diabetic, but has also just started treatment for Prostate cancer, which will inevitably be interrupted until he is 'negative' again.

Then my oldest daughter confessed that 7 year old Granddaughter has Covid, but seems to be over the worst. Meanwhile the rest  of the family are testing, but seem negative so far.  I knew summat was up because they went quiet on facebook.  Apparently didn't want to worry me..although I'm much less neurotic about Omicron, in vaccinated folks and youngsters.

Mrs Col and I both felt rough last week and tested but both negative. I'm OK now but Mrs Col still has a cough and tested again but still negative.

Word is that the Lateral Flow Tests can be a bit hit and miss re: detecting Omicron.

Nonna.. I hope you are soon over it!

Dr. John Campbell is an excellent source of information on Covid.  He is not a Doctor of Medicine and doesn't claim to be. He is a very highly qualified Nurse and Nurse Trainer, who has a good line in explaining stuff.  He also is I  think retired, so he spends his time trawling the internet for the latest research, which he interprets, summarises and passes on in easily digestible form.

In other words, most of what he says is not his own ideas, but an overview of what is going on. My only criticism is that he can sometimes take a while to get to the point, but then he is trying to take people with varied knowledge bases along with him.

Like anybody, he isn't always right..but on the rare occasions he gets it wrong..he owns up.  Well worth watching a few of his vids in my opinion.  Give it a try.

In this vid.. among other things, he explains that vaccination protection against 'symptomatic' disease, wanes quite quickly over time.  In other words, you can still get the bug, and you will know you have got it, because you will have symptoms.

BUT, BUT, BUT!!!!!!!

He explains that protection against SEVERE DISEASE ..is maintained.  So, you are quite likely to get the bug, but MUCH less likely to get severely ill...IF YOU HAVE BEEN VACCINATED.

Vaccines are not binary. In other words, it isn't a case of "vaccinated =safe", versus "unvaccinated = doomed".  It's a numbers game.  The more vaccinated you are, the better your chances of surviving a  Covid infection.

Anyway. Have a look, and maybe check out his other vids. 

Wishing all the best Nonna.... Was talking to a youngish woman in her early 30's yesterday who is needle phobic & got covid, (she insists she's not an anti-vaxer though) she'd had no jabs. She was very ill saying it was like the worst flu ever & in bed for several days, she was worse than old fart me who'd had 3 jabs & was recovering from the after effects of last months radiotherapy & ongoing ADT. , glad I had the jabs.... Got my vaccine passport all sorted for my line dancing extravaganza  at Blackpool this weekend...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, colly0410 said:

Got my vaccine passport all sorted for my line dancing extravaganza  at Blackpool this weekend...

Have fun colly. Hubbs and I belonged to a Ballroom and Latin Dance School for a few years. Sadly due to knee problems we had to call it a day. During our time dancing with them we attended 3/4 tea dances in the Beautiful Blackpool Ballroom with the springy floor. It really takes you back in time . Such an ornate room and we loved every minute dancing to the live Organ. Enjoy your Line Dancing, keep the memories forever.

• Like 2

Don't know if it made the national news but there was quite a fuss yesterday on North West News about the refurbishment of the dance floor at Blackpool Tower.  Apparently 100 layers of varnish were removed and a number of uneven sections levelled before re-sealing. Certainly looked nice on the telly.

• Like 1

Wife & her friend went to the tower ballroom on Saturday & they really enjoyed it, I didn't go as I was feeling very tired & exhausted so went to bed for a couple of hours.... I really enjoyed the weekend of dancing, the effects of my cancer treatment & recent covid meant I got knackered very quickly, but I'd just nip up to my room & have a kip & I was ready for more dancing..... The strong wind made the bathroom door rattle & bang & kept waking us up, so I left the door open. Then the wind was howling in the bathroom vent & kept waking us up, we couldn't win on the one, lol...

• Like 2

Sounds like an interesting weekend Colly and you seem to be managing your spells of tiredness well x

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We've just booked our second booster (for over 75s)  Wonder which one we'll get this time ......