It's surprising what you find when you start looking through things. Among the vaccination cards was a card with my mother's name on it. It's an appointment for the Orthopaedic Clinic at the Nottingham General Hospital on 27 September 1964. Mum slipped on a bar of soap, getting out of the bath. She fell forward, hitting the roll top of the cast iron bath and broke several ribs.  

The hospital wrapped her upper torso in heavy duty sticking plaster! She came home looking like an Egyptian mummy! They don't do that now. It's painkillers.  I well remember the day she was told she could remove it. After messing about for hours, trying to remove it gently and failing, my father said, "There's only one way to do this. Grit your teeth!" He took hold of the end and ripped the whole lot off. Mum screamed blue murder but I think they'd still have been messing about now if he hadn't.

Another card is for mum to attend Miss Bates's clinic at Peel Street Women's Hospital on 9th July 1955 which was my sister's 5th birthday.  Mum had suffered a miscarriage shortly before then and this was, presumably, a follow up appointment.  Mum was taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning and Miss Bates, apparently, later remonstrated with mum for getting her out of bed at an unearthly hour!

Mum was admitted to Peel Street for a couple of days and never forgot the young woman in the next bed who, apparently, had successfully attempted a termination at home but was in excruciating pain if her screams and groans were anything to go by. The consultant was heard sharply telling her to be quiet on several occasions and many of the nursing staff ignored the poor soul completely.

The patient wore a hospital gown and mum overheard the matron demand, "Why are you wearing that gown? Don't you possess a nightdress?  Don't bother to answer that!"

Times have changed!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Jill my daughter slipped on a tiled floor a few years ago and broke a couple of ribs. She'd just come in to our house from coming home in a thick snow storm. She had boots on and had just stepped to go into the kitchen , her boots slipped and she went straight down like a ton weight. It winded her and she had difficulty breathing. However straight to hospital, she needed to go to the loo but the nurses told her she couldnt move and to use a bedpan. She refused and got out of bed and went to the toilet and was caught by a snooty nurse who told her off. She wasnt strapped up,at all and had to just take it easy but she was fine except when the weather gets colder and damper then the pains come on.

Lizzie I can sympathise with your views about your daughter in law but as you say its better to stay away from arguments, but it is worrying when you know it makes sense to be vaccinated. People who refuse the vaccines make me so mad and I want to shake them to make them realise the importance of having them. My DIL has some strange ideas but vaccines aren't one of them. My 3 grandchildren are at school in Alba and have to catch the bus every day. They say the school buses are extra loaded and have all the windows closed so the children are scared to say the least. They all wear their masks and get annoyed when colleagues wear theirs round their chin. They are sensible children. When this started my DIL told me not to be offended because she wanted to keep us safe in case they brought this virus home. I thought it was very sensible and considerate of her so we didnt mind. But now it seems that my grandchildren are far away although they live above us. I see them coming in from school and often they feel sick from the bus ride home. Then they are picked up from the village by their mum or dad to come home. They arrive home completely destroyed so I just wave. Its sad that we dont see more of them and have a least contact with them. This year Steven the eldest will be 18 and what with celebrations weve missed in this last year we cant believe that he is now an adult.

Second Jab (AZ)yesterday no side effects so far. Figures going the right way, I hope everyone is sensible after two big lockdowns. Light at the end of the tunnel.

According to data from the Zoe Study, which I've been a contributor to since almost day 1, Nottingham city has an estimated 67 active cases (200 per million) and that's higher than any of the surrounding districts.

That's not a lot.

Jab 2 for me on Sunday.

Not wishing to put a damper on the topic but-

After being 'banged up' for so long and the figures suggesting it's all going well there is a  danger we take the small relaxations as an 'all clear' and go overboard.

Hopefully the trend will continue but let's remember we are not out of the woods yet. 

As an aside, has anyone heard of or read of someone who's been vaccinated catching Covid? I wonder about the severity and what symptoms they have. If, as some suggest it's like getting a cold how will we tell the difference?

Stay safe...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

This is the first winter that I’ve never caught a cold.

During the last 12 months, I've had almost nothing in the way of colds and sniffles. No coincidence.

• Like 1

Exactly what i said this morning Phil..even about Japan...

Had an hour in Bulwell this morning...went in several shops and it seemed everyone was wearing a Mask.......

Even in the street most had a mask on.......still recognised old pals.......from school and teen years......

• Like 1

You don’t wear your wellies in the bath :crazy:

I even wear a mask online....;)

Here in Oz we began our vaccine roll out on Feb 21st. At the time the government spouted that it would have 4 million vaccinated by the end of March and 20 million by the end of October. We have just hit 2 million, 3 million short of the governments' original target. If these incompetent clowns  continue at this rate we wont all be vaccinated until March 2024. We keep being told that vaccination rates will improve but it just does not seem to happen. I suspect there is too much bureaucracy involved between Federal and State governments. We have the capability of manufacturing our own Astra Zeneca vaccines and the government said that it would be producing 1 million doses a week but appears to be only achieving around half that amount on average.

Kudos to all those involved in the vaccine roll-out in the UK, as after a shambolic early response to the threat seem to have really got their act together

• Like 1

As I wrote somewhere else  Oz, I applaud whoever it was said "bugger the rules, get it done and we can argue the niceties later"...

• Like 3

Yes Brew, I wish someone would do that here, if you are over 50 you can now have the AZ vaccine even though not all in care homes, residents and carers have been vaccinated and neither have 70+ years olds. Pi$$ up in a brewery comes to mind on the way they have organised the jab roll out here.

We were slow at starting vaccinations but it seems we are going well at the moment. Still not in line with UK and USA. But we're getting there if the vaccines keep up.

They seem going out of their way to get me jabbed, I get daily texts from NHSVACCINE & NHSNoReply & 119. 

Jab 2 of Pfizer done yesterday afternoon.

Arrived at the entrance exactly 5 mins early again but this time instead of getting in on time there was a 15 minute queue along the front of the old Lenton T.V Studios.

Same amount of time inside including the 15 mins after wait.

Same after symptoms as last time, arm aches a bit, that's all.

• Like 1

I finally had my 2nd jab on 28th April. I was very concerned about whether I was well enough, as I came out of hospital on the 18th April and still having slow recovery from Pancreatitis, lots of pain! Doc said to have it, so hubs got me to the 'jab station'. Very pleased to say there was no problems, and thrilled I had the vaccine. 

• Like 6