9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

This is the ultimate expression of the selfish 'Me, me, me' society which Thatcher started.

I’m very loathed to put this comment here as we’ve previously ‘discussed’ political comments being made on threads other than the anything political. It’s a shame that you had to end a very good reasoned rational post with a stab at Thatcher irrespective of its truth or otherwise. I will say though that it’s far to complex to just single out Thatcher as the problem as I’m sure you well know which is why such a flippant jibe slipped in at the end of your post is just inappropriate. Please don’t think I’m having a go at you Col, I’m not. The ‘loony left’ with their control of the Marxist Unions in the 70’s have nothing to be proud of and cannot be dismissed. The 3 day week, Red Robbo, power cuts and destruction of the British owned car industry and manufacturing generally. Weren’t they all me me me. Something had to give, times indeed were changing globally.
I suspect you may want to respond so on the anything political thread. Please.

• Like 3

Me, me, me....isn't that simply human nature? Children are totally ego-centred until such time (and if they are fortunate enough) as their parents educate them otherwise.  Many don't.  

Darwin termed it Survival of the Fittest. Perhaps all that boils down to is Me, me, me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Today is my birthday, so I am more elderly today than I was yesterday! I have been asked what I would like to do today but thinking about it there isn’t much I can do really in this covoid19 world at the moment. To be honest even if pubs, restaurants etc. were open I wouldn’t go I just wouldn’t feel safe and as I am not travelling on public transport town shopping is out. Also there doesn’t appear to be any loos open at the moment so that is something else to take into account. I can’t even take Kai out today as the heat yesterday has upset him a bit so he will be having an “in day” laying on his cool mat. 
Over the past weeks of lockdown I have got into a routine obviously staying in the house or garden (as most of us have), taking a Kai out and very occasionally going to the local shops (with mask)  although mostly ordering online and a relative dropping off fresh stuff once a week. It had become a way of life and I hadn’t given it much thought, it was just something that had to be done to try and keep myself away from the virus. However today has made me realise just how much my life has had to change through no fault of mine and how restrictive it has now become. Since moving back here a couple of years ago and adjusting to being on my own I had got to a stage where I had made some very good friends, reunited with two from before I moved away and was starting to be more daring doing things on my own (like going to the local Cafe a few time’s a week for lunchtime meal and becoming an invigilator at a local school). Although I am still in contact with friends by phone etc. It feels a bit like I am back to square one and if this is ever over I will have to start again building my confidence back to where it was.

I was appalled to see the scenes on some beaches In the past few days,  I can understand the need to get back to some more normality but really? My exasperation was compounded last nite when watching a Sky News Reporter on a beach somewhere (can’t remember where) with drunken idiots dancing around while she was speaking. I just despair, these are the idiots that will cause cases to possibly (or definitely) spike again and mean I will be in this kind of limbo for longer.  
(Started this before I went out to do a bit of shopping, Poundland, Poundstretcher, B&M and Morrison’s plants outside, the latter two being at Bulwell. Also had a quick look around Bulwell Market, sat on a bench and ate an ice cream). This gave me back a bit of hope, people patiently queuing outside shops, social distancing still at 2m and some wearing masks like us. I will keep my fingers crossed it is just the idiots that will succumb to the disease and not pass it onto those of us who are trying to do the right thing and contain (or best case scenario eradicate) it from these shores. As the sayings go hope springs eternal but I am not holding my breath.

Sorry this is so long again, it seems I don’t post as much as before but when I do it ends up as an epistle. Must be an age thing I am a year older today:huh:

• Like 8

In that case then SG, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOSSOM ! Have a great rest of the day and enjoy every minute of your enforced rest, due to Lockdown. We may be miles apart but you can me on your list as one of your pals. :bighug:

• Like 1

Happy Birthday, SG. 

This heat is no good if you have a fur coat. Four flat out Moggies here, looking fed up, off their food and tetchy!

To be honest, I don't like it either!

Happy birthday SG... ice cream and facemasks... the mind boggles...   

Happy Birthday SG, pleased for you that you got out for a few hours.  I haven’t yet considered using public transport because I don’t need to but there does appear to be very good social distancing on the buses.  Go on, hop on a bus and have a wander around town!  I reckon you’ll feel better for a little retail therapy. 

1 hour ago, Stavertongirl said:

Today is my birthday, so I am more elderly today than I was yesterday!

Sorry this is so long again, it seems I don’t post as much as before but when I do it ends up as an epistle. Must be an age thing I am a year older today:huh:

I think you have a new career ahead of you. You seem to be turning into a philosopher.

You should start your own Youtube channel and become an 'Influencer'.

• Like 1

Happy birthday SG. I've been looking at the " beach scenes" and couldn't believe it. I've said enough about covid over the last months so I won't tell you how I feel about these inconsiderate idiots who are risking passing on what others are trying desparatly to avoid.

You keep on with your mask wearing and social distancing and you'll be ok. It's working here and I hope that it works in U.K.

Happy birthday once more.

Hiya Nonna ! Hows your mum?

Seems we've both changed our Avatars..Stay safe and secure.

What on earth is this latest buzzword, 'influencer' supposed to be?

I've seen it dotted about.

What is an influencer?  Someone who influences the feeble minded, easily led, herd animal to do what they do, wear what they wear, think what they think, mimic their speech patterns, etc?

Another 'import'  from the good old USA, is it?  

As dear old, daft as a brush, George W Bush explained, most of their imports come from abroad! :P

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

What on earth is this latest buzzword, 'influencer' supposed to be?

I've seen it dotted about.

What is an influencer?  Someone who influences the feeble minded, easily led, herd animal to do what they do, wear what they wear, think what they think, mimic their speech patterns, etc?

Another 'import'  from the good old USA, is it?  

Yes, you've got it ;)

It started in the US; they all look the same (male or female); they all have the same level of intelligence; and they all answer questions which no-one thought of asking. 

• Like 1

Happy birthday SG.   Sorry I'm late but I've only just looked on Nottstalgia cos I'm a bit poorly today (not virus poorly I hasten to add!).   I love you long posts btw 

Would you like me to write a long one Margie?   For you, anything.

Hope you've had a fair old birthday SG. Postman didn't bring a slice of birthday cake. He must have missed me.

Happy Birthday SG and may your long posts continue.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:52 PM, Brew said:

I was with you all the way there Col until  you just could not resist having a political dig. I was going to post a riposte but I'm manfully resisting until I see it on the proper channel …  :rulez:

Ooops!!  You got me 'Bang to Rights' there Brew, but I'd say this:

Firstly, the bulk of my post was political. It was about the way CV is being handled, and understood, and misunderstood and ignored by people at large.. which IS political, because it relates to the organisation of society. I'd rather hoped that people on here now understood that politics permeates life. Party Politics is merely the formal expression thereof.

The comment which you object to was 'party political'.  And yes, I should have left it out or put it elsewhere.

There have been numerous Political comments which I've ignored recently in assorted threads.

14 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

It’s a shame that you had to end a very good reasoned rational post with a stab at Thatcher

And yet Letsav.. you developed the argument by bringing in Unions etc. ;)

I'm going to the Politics thread.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, you've got it ;)

It started in the US; they all look the same (male or female); they all have the same level of intelligence; and they all answer questions which no-one thought of asking. 

It's just a new form of advertising developed to appeal to and to access the 'Social Media Generation'.

There's another version of the same thing on daytime TV.. in which cheerful old folks discuss dying and how they can get brilliant insurance from Company X so that everything will be OK for 'only the equivalent of 99p per day'.  And they still die.

Happy Birthday SG a bit late been in the garden all day its looking pretty good now may have sunstroke it was 33 degrees.You say you were at Bulwell market ,do you know if Hattons the market gardeners still have a stall there they are my fathers relations.

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

And yet Letsav.. you developed the argument by bringing in Unions etc. ;)

I'm going to the Politics thread.

I wasn’t ‘developing an argument’ and am surprised you choose to think I was doing that. In fact I said I wasn’t ‘having a go’. You must know by now that I rarely make any political comments at all and certainly never engage in political argument. Your political comments are usually long and well reasoned and for you sincere. I merely wanted to point out that your comment was imho inappropriate where it was (again) and why I thought that.  I did say at the start of my post i was loathed to comment but where else could it go to make any sense and did ask for any response to be made on the appropriate thread. 

• Like 1

SG Again I wish you happy birthday ( now a late birthday) Yesterday when I posted I'd got my mind full of things that I should be doing and so instead of concentrating on what I was doing after wishing you again happy birthday I pressed post before I added a few more words. Sorry because the greeting sounded ( to me) a bit abrupt. Anyway, as much as you could, hope you spoiled yourself and cuddled your dog all day. Dont know whether ice cream shops sell in bulk like they do here but we get a kilo now and again that make their own ice cream so we nearly always have a treat when we feel fed up , like I was yesterday so out came the icecream. Cannoli and pistachio, it's the best ice cream that I have ever tasted. Trouble is that's it's so good , it doesn't last long.

Take care and don't forget your mask and social distance.

Thank you all for your birthday greetings. Nonnab your greeting wasn’t a bit abrupt at all and Beekay no birthday cake the candles would have melted the icing!