And on a more cheerful note. A shopping trip to Asda this lunchtime has proved somewhat disappointing. Empty shelves in the tinned vegetables aisle, no potatoes at all. pasta almost gone, low stocks of frozen products and according to the checkout chappie "the bogroll bandits are back"...

All stocking up before they have to wear a mask (tomorrow Friday)

21 hours ago, Brew said:

A shopping trip to Asda this lunchtime has proved somewhat disappointing. Empty shelves in the tinned vegetables aisle, no potatoes at all. pasta almost gone, low stocks of frozen products and according to the checkout chappie "the bogroll bandits are back"...

You must live in an area with strange people :). I was in Morrisons at Gamston yesterday evening and all the shelves had normals supplies of everything.

• Like 1

Hope people aren't stocking up again and panic buying. Is UK going into lockdown again?

I understand that, starting today, Boris is enforcing the use of face masks in public. Perhaps the good (or not so good) citizens of the UK are imposing their own lockdown.

You may be right CT but I think jonab and denshaw are closer. With enforced masks and peoples reluctance to wearing them, maybe some are stocking up...

I had to wear a mask when I went to get signed off in hospital on Monday. I found it intensely annoying and rather hot. Fortunately I don’t have to wear a mask when I’m putting in my Amazon order - yet! I do have fifty or so in stock and a couple in the car. Does that make me a hoarder?

A friend of mine had occasion to visit the QMC last week for an x ray. He decided to park the car and take the tram into the hospital. He wore a mask but noted that many on the tram were not wearing one.

Yes these masks are hot especially if you also wear glasses they steam up.With the weather being  about 32  they can be unbearable

My daughter añd husband have to wear them whilst working in the kitchen with gas rings  lit añd ovens on. They come home looking like turkeys

Good luck for your new phase. You'll get through it.

Just remember folks that the battle against this virus is unlikely to be over until we have a vaccine to help us combat it.

Today was Australia's worst ever day with the number of infections and deaths

Here in Australia we have divided into two groups, those states and territories with few or no recent cases such as SA, Qld, NT, ACT, WA, and Tas.

In NSW there are a number of hot spots around pubs, clubs, a restaurant,  places of worship and aged care homes.

In Victoria the situation is becoming more serious with infections in triple figures for more than a fortnight, yesterday there was 459 cases and sadly 10 deaths. In Melbourne and some nearby areas face masks have been made mandatory when outside although there is an anti-social media campaign against wearing "face nappies".

In NSW police have been granted an injunction against groups holding a BLM rally but organisers have said they will still still go ahead. I know what I would do with these idiots who are effectively endangering the whole of society. 

Even though we have had very few cases here in SA we in the at risk age group and are still being very cautious in where we go and what we do.

Take care everyone

• Like 3

With 723 new cases and 13 deaths yesterday the whole of the State of Victoria now has to wear masks when outdoors effective from midnight Sunday.

It often puzzles me as to why with announcements like this are not effective immediately, is it to give people and businesses time to get organised?

In South Australia we have closed our borders even for residents wanting to return home.

Keep safe everyone.

• Like 1

Just been to the Post Office, completely forgot I need a mask, I apologised & she said “We are not enforcing the wearing of masks, just advising” I asked why she was not wearing a mask, she said “I’ve got this screen in front of me” but that’s the same screen, just the other side that’s in front of me?  O’yeah :crazy:  

• Like 2

I keep one in the car and one in my handbag. Last night we went out to eat, wore masks as we got out of the car until we sat at the table then masks were lowered only to be put back into position after eating. It's becoming a way of life that we don't like but for now have to put up with it. We've been wearing them since March even before lockdown ( march 10 th) Trouble is you don't always recognize the people that you see in the street.Keep safe .

I was in Morrisons yesterday evening about 7pm. Not very busy, but almost everyone - including staff - had a mask. 

People not wearing one stood out.

I had another trip to B&Q today.  Couple with a child.  She was wearing a mask.. he wasn't.. and what's more he was playing fast and loose with social distancing.

Selfish knob.

Technically I am in Merseyside.. (just), but I'm very close to borders with Greater Manchester, East Lancs etc.

Hancock has just announced new measures in the whole of  Greater Manchester and other areas.

We are very far from being out of this mess...

MD.  such good news that you will soon be together again x

53 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

Marisha got her visa. She is coming home

So pleased for you MD. Safe journey for her and both keep safe 

Glad to hear the  news MD. Give us a yell when she's back and we'll have a welcome home drink for you both.

Good luck and take care. Barrie.

Really pleased for you MD.

Wishing you both well.

Good News MD. Hope you are reunited quickly, and safely.

Really great news MD it will be so good to be back together again. Keep each other safe.

Things have worsened with metropolitan Melbourne being put under stage four restrictions and the rest of the state under stage three.

The continuing high infection rates where the source cannot be determined and behavior of some individuals and groups has caused this response.

Effectively the new rules from 6:00pm on Sunday are

• A curfew will apply between 8:00pm and 5:00am for all except those going to and from work and certain exceptional circumstances
  • Only one person per household will be allowed to shop for food and necessary supplies but only within 5 kilometres of home or the nearest supermarket and only once per day
  • You can only exercise outside for one hour a day and not more than 5 km from home
  • No visitors in your homes
  • From Thursday wedding will be banned except for compassionate grounds
  • Organised sport is not allowed.

Now comes my political statement. 

The hard right of politics has spent years destroying full time jobs, off-shoring manufacturing and actively promoting the casualisation of the workforce. It is now coming back to haunt them. Many in the new economy have limited hours and others with zero hours contracts, these are the people who are now in part being "blamed". They who have no entitlements to annual leave, sick leave, no guarantee of on-going employment and face being dismissed for not turning up for work. So they either go to work with symptoms or whilst awaiting test results and risk spreading the virus. Unfortunately many are forced to go to work as they live pay day to pay day with almost no cash reserves. They have made a choice, go to work and provide food for the family to eat or stay at home and go hungry. What would you do?

The government has done a good job of arranging monetary relief but often the process takes too long before funds become available to individuals.

We are a long way from the end of this yet so take care everyone

Not far short of Martial Law eh Oz?

The problem is that a majority of the people don’t appreciate the seriousness of the situation. The same thing could happen here the way people are ignoring the safety messages on a ‘can’t happen to me’ basis. The Government are between a rock and a hard place in trying to stimulate the economy whilst controlling the spread of the virus. Until we get a workable vaccine the situation will get worse and it will primarily be the fault of a large part of the population.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2