1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Not far short of Martial Law eh Oz?

Yes it is BK the Victorian Government has declared a "State of Disaster" to bring in the legislation that they say they need to combat certain behaviour

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Until we get a workable vaccine the situation will get worse and it will primarily be the fault of a large part of the population.

I agree totally but cannot help but think back to the early days of this pandemic when governments of both our countries put out the "message" that this was a disease of the old and vulnerable and how much that has influenced behavior, that and being "soft" on those that broke the lock-down rules

17 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

Marisha got her visa. She is coming home

Better get the duster out MD :jumping:

• Like 1

We have just heard that we have to still wear masks until 15 august in public places and where social distancing isn't possible.

239 new cases and 8 deaths (all in Lombardia).

We are trying to get it down to less but now and again the new cases increase but we are at a good point.

Could have dreamt it, cause I cannot remember the last time I heard or watched any news, someone must have told me? 

Boris asking/telling the over 50s to stay @ home? Yes please Boris Mrs Red & I will have some of that Boris, having both worked throughout the virus & have our jollies cancelled, while most tossed it off on furlough or self imposed spineless lockdown, watching everything on Netflix & cutting grass :Shock: Toodle-oo pip boots on.  

Stay home? Go for a meal,  Stay home, Here's 50% off your meal,stay home? 

• Like 1

No Boris and the Government are not Asking  / Telling the all the over 50's to stay at home.

More hype, from some of the media again.

• Upvote 1

Many Facebook groups I belong to have lots of posts saying it should be the teens and young 'adults' who should stay at home, not the old and vulnerable!   Do you think that would be a better idea?  

Although how that could be enforced, I have no idea.  Impossible I reckon.

Margie the teens and young adults congregate in groups , the over 50's don't . They are in smaller groups and maybe more sensible. CV isn't particular, it infects where it's found.

Looks like Marisha will be back 20 August. I will be stopping in Nottingham for one day but if anyone wants a quick meet up then that would be good. Afternoon for me. Sherwood or Bulwell?

MD. We are possibly coming up to Nottingham for the day on Wednesday 19th on our way to see my brother. .    Would you be in Nottingham then?  We were thinking of a socially distanced, bring your own picnic on Wollaton Park but that could possibly  be changed to Woodthorpe Park  if that would be more convenient for you.  One  or two other people might be interested..... 

Very glad to hear your news MD. I'm only sorry I can't get up to say hello in person. Please pass on our very best wishes, even though she's no idea who we are. So pleased for you mate. Take care. Kindest regards. B.

• Like 1

So pleased for you MD, I do hope you make it to Nottingham and it would be lovely to meet Marisha as we all know how much it means to you to have her home. Hugs from me.

• Like 1

Are the schools reopening on Wednesday in UK ? If so after the news I've just heard it's a bit risky with over 1000 new cases in 24 hrs. It's worrying for parents with small children as many will not be able to understand the importance of social distancing and mask wearing.  We had got down to 152 new cases and under 10 deaths. Every day since it's been going up in new cases then going down and up again. The other day we had  over 500 but today it's down again to 200+  Now we are worrying that people returning from holidays in Greece, Malta and Spain can increase new cases. There is a very serious control at airports for incoming flights. Even the illegal immigrants have received tests for CV and have brought an increase in cases. Some of the Tunisian s are being sent back to Tunisia all paid for by Italian govt. Fortunately none of those going back had CV.

Think the schools in Scotland are back in the next few days, England not until September. Surely the answer to opening them is to let teachers wear masks or face shields, if the powers that be want the kids to see the teachers faces, and older pupils the same if it makes them feel more confident and safer.
If you have to wear them in shops, libraries etc when you are mixing with other households what is the difference with that and a teacher who is in an enclosed space with 30 kids from 30 different households all facing towards them? 
Seems like common sense to me in the present situation.

The report saying no teacher has caught covoid19 from a pupil seems a bit suspect as it is seemingly based on the small bubbles that were in schools after lockdown and not the bigger bubbles that will be created when schools open again in September. Although I could be wrong on this but it is my understanding of it.

SG yes you are right it is Scotland that are opening their schools.Two weeks ago we had French/ Italian relatives who live in Scotland and I was surprised to hear they were starting back to school. The husband told me to not believe all that we hear which seemed strange to me. But still hope everything goes well.

The news said GB which had over 1000 new cases and I tend to think of Scotland still being part of U.K.

A friend of mine is a school librarian at a large Notts Comprehensive School.  She has worked for only half a day since lockdown although the school has been open for children of essential workers throughout the Summer Term.

She has now been advised, without any discussion, that from the start of the Autumn Term she will no longer be a Librarian but instead a teaching assistant for Special Needs children.  The Library is to be used as an extra classroom, allowing for  the necessary social distancing.  She's given them a month's notice as she is not trained to be a teacher.  They've twisted her arm and she will stay on at the school and her job will be as a cleaner, wiping down, spraying anti-bacterial stuff, etc.  I'm wondering how long she'll stick that job.  

It must be very difficult for the Head Teachers to organise everything within a school, large or small.  I don't envy them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

.....she will no longer be a Librarian but instead a teaching assistant for Special Needs children.  ...... she will stay on at the school and her job will be as a cleaner, wiping down, spraying anti-bacterial stuff, etc.  

My daughter in law is a teaching assistant at a small village primary and had a similar experience . After a few weeks on furlough she was asked to go back but there weren't enough children to look after so she ended up sorting the library out for something to do .

Then similarly , was asked to go into cleaning mode , wiping door handles  etc . Got so desperate for something to do that they even spent a day removing cobwebs from the fencing around the school perimeter ! 

Her brother works for a national holiday cottage rentals firm and you would think they would need all the staff in during this busy few months but he and another member of staff are still on furlough . Turns out those two were the highest paid in the local office and I guess the government picking up the 80% of their wages suits the firm , even though it means those in work are probably having to work doubly hard .

He's had no communication from the firm in this time but expects (hopes !) at the end of the season he'll be made redundant .

13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Scotland is part of the UK. It's just an extension of northern England.:biggrin:

But I was told that Scotland has different ideas from England. 

Sorry Phil but being away for so long has made me ignorant of where Scotland belongs.:rotfl:

This virus has really mucked things up. It seems that many qualified people are put to menial jobs because things have to be rearranged and it makes a mockery of qualifications.

39 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

But I was told that Scotland has different ideas from England. 

Sorry Phil but being away for so long has made me ignorant of where Scotland belongs.:rotfl:

Its ok Nonna,,,with each country giving its Coronavirus figures independently i reckon its added to the number of people ''Living here'' who have no idea what the difference is between....''Great Britain'' the United Kingdom and the British isles.........

46 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

This virus has really mucked things up. It seems that many qualified people are put to menial jobs because things have to be rearranged and it makes a mockery of qualifications.

But menial jobs are now some of  the most important.  Keeping things clean is essential to keep this horrible virus at bay.  Our eldest son had very good qualifications and a brilliant high paid job but, after being made redundant, he now drives a food delivery van for Sainsbury's.    No skills are involved but what he does  is an essential service nowadays ....  (and strangely, he says he enjoys it as he has no responsibilities, no long commute to London and he does seem much more relaxed.... even coping OK with much less money)

When I was nursing many many moons ago, we nurses were responsible in part for keeping the environment clean on the ward, wiping down surfaces etc.  We were told it was a very important part of our job to keep infection down.   As I said, menial jobs are really necessary.......

• Like 1

Yes Margie I had to do some menial jobs too when studying hairdressing , that goes with a lot of jobs. I had to clean and disinfect and sterilize equipment and the solution for sterilizing affected my eyes it was so strong . But it was an important part of my training and to this day when I do something that I did in those long gone days I remember to do them the correct way.

I think in this day and age we have to be prepared for anything and be humble if things go pear shape. i know someone has to do these menial but important jobs and I doubt whether the unemployed at this moment are even considered.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Its ok Nonna,,,with each country giving its Coronavirus figures independently i reckon its added to the number of people ''Living here'' who have no idea what the difference is between....''Great Britain'' the United Kingdom and the British isles.........

A bit like people here don't know how to maneuver a traffic island.

• Like 1

There’s been an outbreak of cv in Newark at the Bakkavor deserts factory. They employ 1600 people making deserts for all the large supermarkets. Around 39 have been tested as positive and about a third of those come from Lincolnshire. A testing centre has been set up at the truck park near the cattle market island.