RR choose well with the options you have and you can't go wrong, but still be careful. Send us all a postcard.

A handful of deaths & most probably elderly with underlying health conditions from a population of approx fifty five million, covid 19 is going to be with us for a long time, we need to live with it & move on. 

EhUl1AwX0AIiGg8?format=png&name=small

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I must agree. It will be with us until someone creates a vaccine. It will still be with us then. It will no more go away than German Measles, Whooping Cough, Chicken Pox etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look at some of the countries that have a less well informed peasant population and see how the pandemic is raging there. It’s only because people here, in the main, are behaving sensibly that we are managing to contain the outbreak. Even here, some people are becoming sloppy and the incidences are increasing.

• Like 3

Can anyone give me any advice on the situation up your neck of the woods.? We are due to come up to Thoresby hall, the second week of December. We're not planning to go into the city or anything like that and will stay away from trams etc. I realise North Notts is nowhere near the city but we're trying to get the lie of the land etc. Thanks in advance to anybody who has any sound advice. B.

Newark and Sherwood District has just been taken of the areas of concern. The only major outbreak recently was at a food factory in Newark who tend to employ cheap labour from the immigrant population who often live cheek by jowl. Thoresby is out in the sticks so you should be safe.

That has happened quite often in recent months.

The media give big headlines to the fact that an area/factory/pub/restaurant/etc etc has had a burst of outbreaks and everyone needs to isolate (which I don't disagree with). But then you never hear any more about those locations because the problem is sorted without any major drama, and everything goes back to normal. But the media never report that part of the story.

When it's not click-bait, they lose interest. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One up, you forgot to mention “And no one died” 

There are many unpleasant diseases that you don’t necessarily die from but it’s preferable not to suffer it in the first place. If you don’t die it’s possible to pass it on to some susceptible person who may. Cases are increasing so some people are taking a cavalier attitude to the situation.

• Like 2

RR may have a point. As we learn how to treat Covid death rates seem to have dropped dramatically.

The problem is the reporting. In my area we are told there are 5 per 100,000 which quite frankly tells us nothing and conflicts with most other figures. UK Gov site has different figures and is confusing because they use differing time scales and quote different sources.

Cases are rising but is that a result of a greater number of people tested or is there a genuine rise in infections? The more you test the more you will find. (I'm paraphrasing the Fergus Walsh report here).

Since July there has been an increase in infections that haven't  translated into hospitalisation. Is that due to the rise being among the younger generation who are better able to fight it?

The economy is virtually on it's knees, a fact most don't want to face and the longer we leave it the worse it will get. There must come a time when acceptable risk comes into play.

• Like 3

This 'Pandemic' is nothing compared to the one in the 1300s ''The Black Death'' (plague) when i think nearly a quarter of the Earths population was wiped out in less than ten years..........Mother Nature has a way of sorting us mere humans out....by comparism todays covid'' pales into insignificance........reckon we should sit tight while the Boffins find a cure,,,and in 2 or 3 years we will be going on holiday again like we used to,,.........No Masks....crowds of British drunks...and famous footballers,,fighting their way across Europe...and playing in front of crowds..(who do the same).......you sure you want Covid to end yet ?

• Like 1

I think many more people would have died from Covid in the UK and most of the other countries if most people hadn't isolated, self distancedIn and kept their hands clean etc.

In the 1300s, people would not have had access to this information, so wouldn't have taken these steps to protect themselves, also the water supply was not as accessible and clean as nowadays .  

In fact, all the general living conditions, especially for the poorest in society, were far inferior and plague carrying rats would have been everywhere.

• Like 3

We may have found ways of treating CV but the covid patients are taking up  a lot of hospital bed spaces whilst others are dying from more severe but treatable ailments. The waiting lists are getting longer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We tend to think of the plague as a single event - it wasn't. It started around 561 and went on the rampage killing millions. It never really went away and came back with a vengeance 800 years later around 1350. From then on and for the next 300 years London suffered roughly every decade from outbreaks until the mid 1600's. 

It is still around, the last outbreak was in the late 90's in India.

Hopefully Covid-19 will not have such longevity

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We may have found ways of treating CV but the covid patients are taking up  a lot of hospital bed spaces whilst others are dying from more severe but treatable ailments. The waiting lists are getting longer.

I'm not sure about that.  The numbers of Covid patients in hospital are falling.  It seems to me the real issue is that clinicians in all fields are busy trying to protect themselves and their patients from outbreaks.

So.. for e.g.  Mrs Col has had 2 appointments.. yesterday and today. altered.  One was cancelled.. but now re-booked. Another was cancelled but the Consultant called her to discuss her symptoms and possible treatments.

Last week. I had a routine appt. for the eye clinic cancelled. They are monitoring my left eye for 'Pigment Dispersion Syndrome' which can apparently cause Glaucoma. I'm not worried and also not keen to spend time around the Hospital with sick people

19 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

covid patients are taking up  a lot of hospital bed spaces whilst others are dying from more severe but treatable ailments

Can't agree witht that...:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-uk-hospital-admissions/

Jim, I didn't say what you quoted. That was Phil's comment which I quoted.

My own reading of the news in general and confirmed by your link, show that it is not Covid patients in hospital 'per se' that is the cause of problems in other areas of care.  The problems seem to me to be cumulative effects of:

-Hospitals being perceived as 'dangerous places' by many..which discourages attendance..esp. at A&E with chest pains for e.g.

-GP Surgeries strongly discouraging face to face appointments..to protect both practitioners and patients.

-Certain 'non critical' hospital appointments being cancelled.. re-scheduled, or switched to remote consultations.

There does appear to be a genuine issue around cancer.. both in the investigation and diagnosis phase, and in the treatment phase. People are seemingly afraid to go to Docs/hospitals..thus delaying diagnosis and treatment.  Add in that it seems much treatment was postponed at the height of the Covid crisis, which has created a backlog.

In short.  Blame Covid... the virus.. but not the few poor sods still admitted to hospital with it.

I do sometimes wonder if the virus had been more severe in children/young adults with them being the most at risk if things might have been done differently.

Wonder if us of a certain age would have been writing comments about it only being a small percentage that die so what is the problem like some of the comments I have seen on line. 

Also is it possible the high figures we are getting at the moment are as a result of increased capacity in testing? Possibly wishful thinking. I see there have been “outbreaks” in 21 schools in England up to yesterday. Must be all those teachers not socially distancing at coffee time as per Jenny Harris!  Dread to think what Nottinghams figures will be when the students are all here. 

SG I think you may be right. When we have the daily reports new case numbers are given saying plus**** more or less ***** than yesterday, with so many swabs taken ( more or less than yesterday) then the number of deaths again stating more or less than yesterday. At the end we have actual cases, actual deaths, in intensive care and cured. 

To me it's easier to understand and you can see if it seems to be getting worse or better. When people started to return from holidays we were warned that positive cases would go up and they did from 530 to over 1000 + in 24 hrs. They are slowly going down but the swabs vary. I  think as many do that we will still have a problem getting rid of this virus. To us it seems it's always been and continues to be in Lombardia. 

I hope so nonna, I really do. I was starting to do a little bit more albeit cautiously. Been for a couple of meals on the governments scheme, but had a table outside didnt feel safe going indoors. Even sat outside under a parasol in the rain eating our meal, and, no, we weren’t the only ones all the tables, well socially distanced, were full!
Also ventured into town for the first time since January, goodness where has the year gone. Didn’t get the bus, parked at the Forest park and ride and walked into town via the Arbritum (spelling), bit disappointed in the birds there they were all cockatiels. I can remember the Mynah bird that Wolf whistled and knew swear words as well. We just went to Primark, had a little wander round and then walked back to the Forest. Glad the library has reopened now, have got a Kindle but it isn’t the same as reading a book. 
If the figures do continue to rise, Nottingham’s have really increased past few weeks although not as bad as a lot of places, I don’t think we will be expanding our activities any more at all.
I don’t know if I will be contacted by the school about invigilating at any exams later this year. I really enjoy it but will have to think long and hard about doing it and would want to be able to wear a mask\visor before even considering it. Even then I am not sure about it. 
On the whole I suppose I am in a routine now, I don’t mind my own company (in a lot of cases I prefer it to being social - sounds awful but I don’t have a high opinion of most people, present company excepted, prefer my few friends, close family and most of all Kai) so I am quite content. 
Unfortunately I think we will have to live with the virus for a while to come, hopefully a vaccine will emerge and the actual treatment seems to be getting better with the various drugs that help alleviate the symptoms but not outright cure. It could also mutate to a less virulent strain possibly. So there could be a small chink of light at the end of the tunnel. :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Jim, I didn't say what you quoted.

I realised that, apologies for giving the wrong impression. I made the same comment after Phil's post but never pressed submit...

• Like 1

Well, having gone blind in my left eye, I hope that my op for the 28th is not cancelled. Caught a fair few trout on Carsington yesterday and Blithfield today, with one eye. Double my catch when I get two back :biggrin:

• Like 2

Heres hoping PP, heres hoiping...thumbsup

Caught of few trout with only one eye. Well done PP. How would you do if you used a rod and line?