BK and Margie yes I too was in contact with my aunt who had TB. Lizzie I hope no one swallowed them too but I remember that those who had the to injection had to wear plasters over the scabs.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

We were all quaking with fear, in the queue for checking test results from the six shooter. When the doctor told me I  were OK  and could manage without a jab, I could have kissed him ! Consequence from my mates who were suffering the two jabs was, " Lucky Bleeder "!!

I had the full package.

6 point test and double jab.

I seem to remember someone saying it won't hurt, standard for all injections by Nurses at the time, I believe.

I don't remember it hurting, what I do remember is the pain from catching the double scabs which seemed to take weeks to come off.

Still got the scars now.

My dad had TB and was incarcerated in Newstead Hospital for about six months during which time I was reluctantly taken to the chest clinic, Forest Dene, on Gregory Boulevard for investigation as to whether I had the disease and to have the BCG if I was clear.

What a creepy place Forest Dene was. I imagined it as Frankensteins Castle but full of mad scientists in white coats inflicting untold terrors on anyone brave enough to pass through its doors. I had to go there multiple times for X-rays, Mantoux tests (several as they couldn't decide on the results they were getting) and eventually have the injection itself. That was far from straightforward as an abcess formed at the injection site which issued foul smelling pus for months. They didn't seem to want to do anything about the abcess other than put a dressing on it and to go back in a month.

It did clear up eventually but there is still a large scar on my arm. Matches the smallpox vaccination scar on my other arm though.

I was also a regular visitor to Forest Dene due to a propensity for bronchitis every winter after contracting measles as a four year old.  I loved the place because I knew someone there would utter those longed for words, "Keep her at home!"  

Since early childhood, I've loved old buildings and Forest Dene appealed to me.  I was appalled to see what now occupies the site.

Memories of wading through piles of red and gold fallen autumn leaves, walking along Gregory Boulevard with my mother, wrapped up in scarf,hat, gloves, etc, on our way for another chest x ray.  The cold autumn/winter air made me cough all the more!

My dad had TB and was in Newstead Hospital, that is where he met my mum she was A nurse there (very romantic - he liked the nurse uniforms, in his later years when he had to go to hospital he was bitterly disappointed that the nurses weren’t wearing them anymore!!) So I had had a TB jab before the school one. Obviously I reacted to the ring of needles and although my mum told them I had had the jab I still had to go to Forest Dene for an X-ray. Not sure if I had to stay off school until I got the all clear.
Not sure from what I have read that having the jab so long ago makes a difference, it seemed a booster might be needed possibly?

I don’t know if she actually had TB, but my mother spent some time at Newstead Sanatorium in the late 1950s-early 60s. I’ve no idea how long she spent there or how serious it was because I was young and didn’t understand what it was all about.

One thing I remember was myself and my sister sometimes having to stay with various grandparents while my dad went out to work; the only times we ever slept at either grandparents house.

I think it was totally predictable that an influx of 60,000 bodies from around the globe would have this effect, to expect anything less is naive in the extreme.

• Like 1

I think it was clear why the Unis wanted all the students back, they are now not seats of learning , they are businesses. Once the students have started they pay the course fees and accommodation. When they are sent home they will not get any cash back. Am I a cynic or what?

A better system would have been as Melissa stated let them study online at home , that way the Unis would still receive the course fees and next year, when hopefully the virus is under control, they could start at the Unis.  But with most Universities building their own accommodation they need the money.

• Like 8

We need to live with COVID19 it's not going away, there's no sign of a vaccine or an end & we can't keep closing things down, we might just have to accept & live with it & get on with life:sorry:

• Like 5

Yesterdays news in Europe. A giornalist was in Liverpool, while she was talking they were showing scenes from various cities in UK and started talking about the closure of pubs at 10 pm. She waited until the pubs closed ready to interview customers what they thought. She didnt get a chance, a group of them went into the street and started dancing to someones music. Whats the sense in closing at that time, people arent ready to go home.

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

It's just over a week since contact with our friends that tested positive and we have no symptoms. Another pal who also had to isolate is OK too. So we may have got away with it :)

I'm pleased to hear that PP but you do have penchant for tempting fate don't you?    :rolleyes:

Obviously some students have been educated beyond their intelligence judging by some of their recent actions. These individuals are supposed to be the brains of the future, if they can't behave themselves inthe current situation kick them out .

This virus poses a risk to only a small minority of our population surely we can just protect the vulnerable without causing mass unemployment?

• Like 4