I see Boots are going to be doing test kits soon for people with no symptoms. Cost will be £120 but will come down if enough demand. They only take 20 minutes to give a result and are 97% accurate. Wouldn’t these be better to use for testing than the present lab based ones that take a few days before you get a result? 

It's quite possible the test in the lab only takes a few minutes but the transporting and the shear volume mean it takes some time to get through the system.

Why would you pay £120 when you can book a free one at the many testing stations? Time to boycott Boots me think, trying to make money out of a pandemic. 

• Like 1

Now we have a dilemma, being happily ensconced on the Dorset coast and hearing that Nottingham will be in Tier 3 in a couple of days time.  It wouldn’t be so bad if it was for just a couple of weeks but when we did a runner a week or so ago we weren’t prepared to be here til the end of November!    We’re thinking we might need to sneak back in and out again to gather medications and warmer clothing. There are so many things I need to deal with during November (personal and business stuff) and everything I need is in Nottingham.  I’ve just made a list of ‘must-do’ chores just to convince my husband that we need to get home.  There are a dozen items on my list ....  I usually get my way.   

• Upvote 1

Just on the news all of Nottinghamshire into tier 3 as of 00.01hrs Friday, not unexpected.

The rates in Cambridge are high (over 193 / 100000) but still only tier 1.  I believe it’s because all of the students have been offered a Covid test, whether or not they were presenting with symptoms, so obviously that is picking up a lot of cases which would have gone unnoticed.

We are 15 miles away from Cambridge and Paul very rarely goes there.  I’m happily staying in nearly all the time....

Covid-19 was the 24th most common cause of death in England in August! Yes 24th :Shock:  

• Like 1

Our news mentioned that Nottingham would be moving up to Tier3+ whatever + is. It looks really doubtful that we will be able to make our annual pilgrimage North, due to the restrictions imposed. It seems amazing that we would be breaking the law if we visited Tina's sister ! Heaven knows how I can get her milk churn to her.

56 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Covid-19 was the 24th most common cause of death in England in August! Yes 24th :Shock:  

What position would it be if the precautions were not taken, how many Hospital beds are filled with Corona Virus patients .

• Like 3

Why don't they use the especially built Nightingale Hospitals for Covid patients and then the usual hospitals would be freed up for the other patients' need without fear.  Just a thought.

There are a finite number of nurses so if they are treating the Covid patients, there wouldn’t  be enough to fully staff the ‘ordinary’ hospital

29 minutes ago, Unmade Marian said:

Why don't they use the especially built Nightingale Hospitals for Covid patients and then the usual hospitals would be freed up for the other patients' need without fear.  Just a thought.

Staffing them?

Hmm, I thought that; but surely if you are treating Covid patients you are not treating anybody else so surely the Covid staff are a select bunch anyway.  Also, if that is the case why did they build the Nightingale's anyway? 

I suppose it’s better to have separate hospitals to treat highly infectious patients and those who need intensive care because of Covid, so that the main hospitals can be kept clean and able to carry out a limited amount of other treatments and clinic appointments?

I think the Nightingales were a 'worst case' solution. If the NHS was  swamped and over run the Nightingales would there to accomdate bed cases but mostly as palliative care.

If you get better all well and good, if not...

Help - I am a bit (rather an understatement) confused by the dos and donts of tier 3. I have read a couple of lists of these and they seem to contradict each other (what a surprise). 
I think those in my bubble can’t come in my house or garden, although one of the guidelines reads that they can. (I know other households can’t.) Which is right?
We are okay I think to go to a cafe (we sit outside) is this correct? I presume the substantial meal is just for places that serve alcohol. 
Not impressed that the covoid app woke me up last nite just to tell me we had gone into tier 3, sure they could have done the notification at a more reasonable hour.

Screenshot-2020-10-30-12-43-47.png

Does this help at all SG? I've just lifted it from the internet and did a screenshot. I was particularly interested in social and overnight stays.

On the original download, if you clicked on each of the boxes it gave more information. Hope you can make sense of it. Barrie.

• Like 1

It’s all clearly explained on the Notts CC website. The only ambiguity I can see is that you can meet up for exercise sessions in an indoor venue, which is not your house, although they advise that you shouldn’t! For what I saw online of the partying by young people last night, before the regs came in, I think a lot of people aren’t going to take a blind bit of notice and it’s impossible to police.

• Like 1

It's now 13.20, and I've just watched the news showing party time in Nottingham prior to lockdown. What a right bunch of bloody Morons.

It doesn't show Nottingham in a good light !!!

Some may be fined but they won't pay. There is a tremendous backlog in the court system and it could be 18 months before a hearing.

I am DEFINITELY  not a Tory and especially not a fan of the present government but I think they are trying to do what is necessary to slow the spread of the virus.  Why is no-one in authority blaming people’s behaviour for these restrictions having to be introduced once again?  
If everyone had been sensible and followed the guidelines then there wouldn’t have been the need for these local lockdowns.

It’s not the government’s fault - it’s the stupid people who act like those idiots in Nottingham last night!

I know and understand that in some areas of the country, some families live together  by choice or necessity in somewhat overcrowded conditions but it isn’t them I’m complaining about - it’s the selfish people I saw on the news today.  
I hope these people won’t complain when the economy collapses and life gets really hard.

• Like 2