As some of you know, I am a regular poster on a music/hi-fi Forum called Pinkfishmedia.

Pinkfishmedia, attracts people from all over the World and all levels of wealth/occupation.

Our discussion of the Coronavirus outbreak is lively, but we have the advantage of having a few members who have real 'weight' in the world of health and medicine.

1, 'TopOxfordDoc.'  aka Charlie Chan.  This is the guy who noticed that Wilko Johnson of the band Dr Feelgood.. who was on a farewell tour due to 'incureable' cancer.. should already be dead.  He spoke to Wilko. referred him to an oncologist friend and the result was that Wilko was operated on and lived.

2. Tim Jones.  A bit mysterious.. but he works in the Ministry of Health and Social Care at very high level and carefully  puts out stuff which is 'not the view of his employer' and seems to have the 'inside track' on a lot of what is happening.

3. DoctorF.  We disagree violently on politics.. but he knows medicine.

4, Me.. posting as Mullardman.

So.. if you want a view on Coronavirus that might be helpful... have a look here: 

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain.236430/page-64#post-3915184

Also. use the NHS and YouGov sites rather than thecobblers on F'Book.

Read the page Col and there's nothing but someone having the usual PFM hissy fit and a skewed graph - what do they say about statistics?

You are claiming a 'significant' percentage die - what exactly is a significant percentage?, when are they not significant?

For a topOxford doc, a senior health official and presumably a doctor there is a distinct lack of facts, advice or verifiable evidence offered.

I think your surprisingly virulent attack on Cav was out of order and you are finding an implication that simply isn't there. I have to say it Col,  reading that and your posts here you are starting to come across as someone on the verge of panic. People respond to situations in different ways and just because you disagree with them does not make them idiots.

It is serious that much is true and I agree, what am I doing about it? Not a lot. I will keep to my usual personal hygiene regimen and take what you have called a cavalier attitude that there is little to nothing more I can do, what will be will be. I shall carry on as per usual and I suspect so will the majority of folk.

• Like 5

Yes, I only read the page showing in the link but would agree with everthing Brew said.

That graph is very misleading  and shouldn't be reposted.

It may be the way data is normally presented in China

It's obvious to anyone not in any state of concern that there couldn't possbilty be more deaths that confirmed cases, which it what at first glance it appears to show.

What's missing from all data at the moment is the non confirmed cases of which there are probably millions, i.e people with the virus and only mild symptoms.

These figures will come out later as estimates as there will be plenty of groups looking at various aspects of all of this.

Whether what each Country did was the best at that time for that Country, whether other Countries did better or worse etc.

This is the first time the general population have seen data such as this and as current.

If they posted the normal flu statistics in the same way I suspect it would look horrifying in comparison.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brew said:

I shall carry on as per usual and I suspect so will the majority of folk.

Absolutely ditto.  

There are some people who like to have something to worry about. This is a heaven-sent scenario for them.

• Like 2

We have just spent a terrifying 48 hrs with my daughter. On 28th February she visited the vets with her dog. The following Monday he put a post on FB that he had a very high temperature etc. Saturday morning he put another post saying he had contracted the CV and was apologizing for probably infecting a lot of people. There are about 7 vets at this surgery and everyone asks for him. The waiting room is small and as my daughters dog is small the vet had to get close to look into the dogs ear. We all went into a state of suspended animation. Anyway this morning after trying various numbers she managed to contact 2 drs. Questions asked and thankfully doesn't have the virus. She was away from the vet before he was contagious. Both Drs gave some advice. During the day every 1/2 hr drink warm water. Apparently if you have any bacteria drinking will send them down into your stomach instead of your lungs. Another thing is hold your breath for 10 seconds and if you are breathless after call your Dr.  

These may seem stupid things but they are advised by many.

Now my daughter has to stay isolated as a precaution but thank heaven she doesn't have this nasty virus.

Keep well all.

• Like 1

What a worry that must have been for you, nonna.  Pleased everything seems to be OK for your daughter....

• Like 3

Thanks Margie it's been a very stressful few days but everything is fine. The only thing is she is obliged ( by law) to stay in for 15 days. Better like that, I don't want to pass any more days like the last.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Read the page Col and there's nothing but someone having the usual PFM hissy fit and a skewed graph - what do they say about statistics?

You are claiming a 'significant' percentage die - what exactly is a significant percentage?, when are they not significant?

I started this thread with public spirited intentions.  Sorry people don't seem to see it that way.

However, I should have said to maybe read back a few pages on PFM to get a better sense of the thread and most contributors.

Of course any death is significant and regrettable.  The current mortality figure for Italy is around 5% based on confirmed cases and deaths.  It may well be that there are many more unreported/detected cases which would bring that figure down.. but even at around 1% I believe it is significantly more dangerous than Flu.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

For a topOxford doc, a senior health official and presumably a doctor there is a distinct lack of facts, advice or verifiable evidence offered.

I think you need to read back in the thread.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

I think your surprisingly virulent attack on Cav was out of order and you are finding an implication that simply isn't there. I have to say it Col,  reading that and your posts here you are starting to come across as someone on the verge of panic. People respond to situations in different ways and just because you disagree with them does not make them idiots.

Cav has a long established reputation for inappropriate posting and provocation. There was a build up to my response, in which he repeatedly tried to dismiss CV as 'nothing to worry about' and tried to support his stance with patently innaccurate drivel. I wasn't the first to react to him and a close inspection will reveal that I got a good few 'likes' for putting Cav right. The site also has a rather less 'genteel' style than Nottstalgia.

Here's his latest 'Pearl of Wisdom'  https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain.236430/page-66#post-3915467

As for panic.  No.  I'm not panicking at all.. but I am concerned and I am taking some extra precautions. I'd say that's entirely reasonable for someone of my age and health profile.   Where the emotion in my posts comes from is mostly anger with people who flatly refuse to acknowledge the issue, or try to dismiss it with pointless comparisons to other diseases.  I obviously do not include you in that.

It's irrelevant how many people die from other diseases.  Covid-19 is new and nobody has immunity, nor do we have any specific treatments. 

Italy has a better health system than the UK and about twice the number of 'acute' facilities.. yet it's own medics are reporting that their system is all but overwhelmed.  That doesn't look good for the UK after 10 years of austerity damage to the NHS.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

It is serious that much is true and I agree, what am I doing about it? Not a lot. I will keep to my usual personal hygiene regimen and take what you have called a cavalier attitude that there is little to nothing more I can do, what will be will be. I shall carry on as per usual and I suspect so will the majority of folk.

We all have to make our own decisions based on our understanding of the situation. I'm just taking extra care if I go into any public space.. especially with hand washing and keeping my disance from anyone obviously coughing etc.  I will not be using public transport.  I don't need to other than to save a bit on petrol.

I've been out and bought a lot of decorating materials earlier than planned.  I now have plenty to keep me occupied at home.  That's the extent of my panic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

There are some people who like to have something to worry about. This is a heaven-sent scenario for them.

I don't deny being a worrier, but as I've just explained to Brew.. I'm not panicking.  However, as a worrier.. I can assure you that the situation is anything but 'heaven sent' :blink:

• Like 1

Could only read few posts, some serious nut jobs on there  :crazy:

I believe you can make yourself ill with worry & stress, same happened when they lost the referendum, life's to short, enjoy yourself it’s later than you think. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

I think you need to read back in the thread.

You must have  realised I went beyond the posted page or I would not have read your outburst to Cav.

Going back six pages again I still see no new or particularly useful information beyond a reiteration to wash hands regularly. 

It's PFM so expect it to explode into a political row anytime soon...

Good luck with decorating...

I can't imagine why we need to be referred to another site we have no connection with, to get 'some informed opinion', actually just another load of argument.

I've seen quite a few highly regarded experts interviewed in recent weeks. I don't remember a single one who wasn't calm and rational about CV and delivering the same message, the situation needs to be addressed in terms of how it develops. We don't need more drama and we shouldn't be feeding the media frenzy.

If there is disagreement to your view, DJ360, and you brand those as unknowledgeable, selfish and cavalier, maybe you just need to pursue the subject on your hifi site?

• Like 3

I suppose we'll all know in a couple of months time whether there was anything to worry about...

Mrs Reds showed no concern got my holiday allocation signed off Friday, she’s straight in, week in Lanzarote in May, week in Tenerife in July,  two weeks in Greece September, she don’t muck about & I just do as I’m told :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps English, more particularly Nottingham, opinions may be different if they were closer to an area with a severe outbreak of this menace. I live 21Km (15 miles) from the Northern Italian border whilst nonnaB is in the midst of it.

• Like 2

You’re absolutely right there jonab.  There aren’t enough cases in the UK for any of us to panic.  When we see many more people with the virus that will be the time to be concerned, however the effects will be slight unless the victim has other serious health issues.  
I really feel for Nonna and her family, especially with regard to their business and livelihood and hope for their sake that the emergency will soon be over.

As an aside, a team of guys who work for our sons company have flown out to Vietnam this weekend to prepare the brand new F1 track for the race in less than 3 weeks time.  Will it take place?  Don’t care, so long as they get paid for the work.  

• Like 2

I agree Jonab. With an increase overnight of 1000 cases a few days ago it's frightening. Today we heard a case had been found in Costigliole just up the road from us.

We now have 14 provinces closed , hardly any flights in or out. Tv has a slogan " resto in casa" ( I'm staying home) Fortunatly I don't mind staying at home. I've got a gijwas that I'm puzzling over and today I made dozens of biscuits and pancakes for cannelloni. So it'll take as long as it takes. China is now slowing down and it's taken 3 months so maybe it will be the same for us.

I don't want to tell you what to do but my advice is to listen to the advice of the experts because even us I think we left It too late.

Lizzie restaurants and bars can only open during the day until 6 pm. No one is booking or eating out. You can't blame them but it's weird shops are only letting so many people in at any one time. James has been told that his restaurant can only have 15 people in at lunch time but no one comes. 

• Upvote 1

Jigsaw spelt backwards. Lookup on puzzle season or something like that. The idea is you get a puzzle with a picture but that's not what you follow you have to use your imagination to predict what will happen in the future , in modern times etc. when it's finished I'll post a pic.

Phil you're taking the Mickey , no?

I thought it were "WASGIJ"

Well, for the last few days, all three of us in this household have been down with an identical viral infection and it’s been bloody awful. Started not long after our daughter got back from Cape Town. Despite us showing the symptoms from the various Covid-19 web sites, when NHS111 called daughter back (at 3am!), they were adamant that it couldn’t be. We’re self-isolating as much as the dog will allow me, and have no inclination to panic buy any bog roll.

The best source of information on the virus I’ve found is here, a Twitter thread written by an expert in supramolecular chemistry...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236549305189597189.html

Well today I caught 3 buses, went in Victoria Centre twice, Broad Marsh Centre once (for some strange reason), 2 different Wilkos and various other shops, so I suppose I shall be getting it? Only thing is before I did any of that I went to the doctors to get a blood test for thyroid function as I do occasionally. Nowhere, anywhere in the surgery or waiting room was there any mention of Coronavirus or Covid19! I think I shall just carry on as normal.

There's one way of looking at it Pianoman, you could always say, if you already had it, you're just doing your bit and sharing it with your fellow man. IF you've got it, flaunt it. No point in being selfish.

When I started this thread.. I was trying to be helpful.  Oh well... clearly I was wrong.

And of course.. nobody is obliged to read it, or anything else I post.

I really feel for Nonna B and also for Jonab.. who are at the front line in this.  I'm also very aware that a lot of our membership here is elderly and some have significant health issues.  (And I don't just mean me..)  Let's hope for all our sakes that remains just a theoretical issue.

2 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Well, for the last few days, all three of us in this household have been down with an identical viral infection and it’s been bloody awful. Started not long after our daughter got back from Cape Town. Despite us showing the symptoms from the various Covid-19 web sites, when NHS111 called daughter back (at 3am!), they were adamant that it couldn’t be. We’re self-isolating as much as the dog will allow me, and have no inclination to panic buy any bog roll.

Very sorry to hear that.  If you are still concerned I'd call them back and ask where you can drive to for testing.

The Twitter series you have linked to is excellent.  I've read it too.  The one downside is that it contains that terrible bar chart which is very easily misleading.

Get well soon.

• Like 1