bell street, meadows

I know this is very long shot but has anybody got any photos of bell st, or bell terrace the  old meadows..  I used to live  in bell terrace in the 50,s,   no. 4 to be exact. does any body know where I can get some from .. I am getting on a bit and the memories are starting to fade,,  I  remember playing in the street , tin can leerky,,  dicky dob, we used to put a tennis ball in a stocking  then stand against the wall and swing the ball from 

left to right, Christ I could go on for hours boring every one ,,  such great days, do you know kids on our street did not have lot  , only holes in your pants and shoes but were adventurous and normally had a sodding good time,, Iwould not change a day ,,, thanks for listening  

• Like 2

Good post Don, keep em coming. As for the photos, if anyone can produce one or more!, Cliftons  the man.

• Like 1

was mick Clifton  polish, I think he lived next door but 2,  I seemed to remember having a fight with him ,, after the fight we were best mates,  if  my memory is correct ….  Talking about memories  ,when I was a lad  when women wash their stocking they would put penny in the toe of the stocking and then hang em out to dry,,  me and my mates used to go around the back yards  armed with a pair of sissors  and cut the toe out of the stocking and swipe the penny, We got away with this for about  2-3 weeks ,, but alas one day the women were waiting for us,,,,,Jesus Christ they din,t  half make us pay,!!!!!!!!   our sodding tabs  rang for days after that!!!!!   then and I  got a cracker of me dad,, we deserved it  but we were only about 6 or 7 years old,, its easy money till you get caught.   and then there was bon fire night,,,, are well  that's another story!!!!!

• Like 2

No he wasn't Polish, he would be about 64 now. He lived about halfway up the Terrace on the left. How many houses were there on the terrace? There was a Polish family lived around Orange street, the surname was Molik.

5 hours ago, don walker said:

I know this is very long shot but has anybody got any photos of bell st, or bell terrace the  old meadows..  I used to live  in bell terrace in the 50,s,  

By looking at various maps and other things, I'm hoping this is Bell Street.

xznzGHr.jpg

The Belvoir Inn is just visible on the far right, and the road in the foreground with the trolley bus is Arkwright Street.

• Like 1

Do you know what, i would have bet a fortune that you would find a photo!. Still amazes me.

Hello again,just back after a spell,thanks for the photo's, memories for me there,mam use to leave me with a woman on Bell Terrace and go to work would have been before i was 5 so would have been 48/49 happened a lot in those days.

And there not 50 yards away as the crow flies is St Saviours church where i was married in 1965.

Another little story i told on the site about Arkwright St shops how Mr "Kever" was very kind to me buying  a scalextric for my brother,well i was able by the magic of Facebook to tell his daughter the story when  she was on Mel's site i think. She cried and I felt good and pointed her to Meadows remembered with a picture of he dad(page71) she lives in London.

• Like 1

O NO don't do this to me! I now have another story I have to tell.

My dad had a old 3 wheel Reliant( the square one with the big m/cycle wheel sticking out the front) there was one left on that rec(before Bunbury St) my dad wanted it for spares so asked around the streets about it and was told it was abandoned so he decided to take it.Days later knock on the door,the Police, short story hauled to court and fined.

Years later I was living in Alexandra Park 65/66 in a flat with my bride,there was a robbery from another flat and i was questioned by detectives because my name is T .E. same as my dad (with a record) I WAS NOT PLEASED  and you have just brought it back one minute after my other tale..

• Like 1

hi stuart c,  sorry  its took so long to get back to you but I,ve  got the builders in, the place look like a bombs hit it,,,,,yes I  do remember the swings ,, I  used to go over the top of  the crossbar until some body off Bunbury street  got tangled  in the bar,, .  cor you should have seen the claret,, oooo yaa ….. Christ that picture paints a thousand words!!!!  can you remember Boughows on bell street, we used to ring the delivery bell on those big doors,,  the doorman used to go bloody  barmy!!!

I say all these photos  of bell st. and bell terrace,,  and surrounding roads absolutely magic, in one of them I can just see  the back door of my old house,,, my family were not very well off ,,,, but such memories,,    ,,all those memories!!  thanks keep them coming , thank s to you all