If anyone has a couple of Japanese acer trees I would like to ask you a question. We've just had a delivery of a green and red one.Weve already dug the holes ready but there's an argument about the distance between the two and we can't decide. Please help before we go mad as we keep moving the holes:wacko:

Give a thought Nonna, but be aware of 'social distancing. The regulation 2 metres should suffice.

It depends on how big they will grow.  ;)

They are only small. One is 1.35 m the other ,red one is smaller .they grow to 1.50 m.

spread is 2 m

Holes are roughly 3.5 a 4 meters apart

At a guess, if one is male and the other is female, then pretty close. But if of the same sex,  use your own judgement !

Thanks Brew I have saved it for future reference. Think we are placing them correctly because they prefer half sun / shade. Facing south we have sun early morning then the area will be in shade in the afternoon shaded by my daughters house

• 3 weeks later...

Acers  installed but last evening I noticed one had a lot of aphids on the stems, branches and new shoots. I got the hose pipe out and sprayed them thoroughly. This morning there were only odd ones still stuck so as far as I could I took them off by hand, then I noticed there were odd ones on the smaller tree. Tonight I'm going to spray  again in the hope they don't return. Has anyone else had problems with aphids?

I got an acer last year. It is in a garden pot, about 2’ high at the moment. I will be keeping it at about that height, don’t want a full sized tree. The leaves have now gone the lovely ruby red colour with all the sunny weather. I did get some leaf scorch last year, but have moved it now so it has sunlight and shade as well.

i haven’t noticed any aphids on it though. When my Dad used to get aphids on his roses he used to spray them with soapy water to get rid of them from what I can remember. Don’t know if that is any help?

I've a sugar maple, I collected a few seedlings from it last year that need transplanting now, plus I found a couple of saplings from last year growing near the well house, they will get transplanted in the next few days.

Name your Acers, Mine are Acer Saccharum.

The green one is 1.5 m high and is called Palmatum Dissectum. The red one is smaller and when we got it it was mostly twigs so it's still very young. It's called Acer Pal Garnet. The red one I've just noticed had a white powdery veil over the leaves. But we have had some building work done so it could be dust from the builders cutting tiles and bricks. This was a few weeks ago and all work is now on hold. We've had no rain to wash the "dust" off if that's what it is. Last night I gave it a good spray of water from a hose pipe.  Looked on internet it could be powdery mildew. Hope not but don't want to wait too long to find leaves are falling. It is in sun in the morning and shade in afternoon  so don't think it's scorch. But I could be wrong. My daughters just taken a photo of it so I'll see if I can upload it later.

SG yes I've always used soapy water for aphids. Thanks for advice.

%5Burl=https://postimg.cc/sQMXrSH8%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://i.postimg.cc/gJD63HVY/IMG-0137.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

This is a closeup of the white powdery residue on acer leaves. I have sprayed a few top leaves with lightly soapy water to see if it is brick dust. Will see in the morning.

Cant see the pic. My daughter took photo on iPhone and sent it to me on messenger on Samsung phone which makes posting more difficult as they go into google photos.

the leaves do really look sad but they've only just sprouted in the last few days.

Might be "powdery mildew"  If so you'll need a fungicide.