Isolation- Information and advice

Read an article by an undertaker in Italy. Bit grim.

Maybe Nonna can confirm or deny its authenticity.

With talk about emergency workers, we tend to forget about undertakers.

Apparently, there are no funerals taking place in Italy. The dead are placed in a coffin as they die, no cleaning/applying makeup etc, sometimes if relatives ask for specific clothes to be put on the deceased, these are placed on top of the body. No redressing allowed.

No items can be placed in the coffin. Relatives are not allowed viewing or their goodbyes. ( probably in quarantine anyway. )

.   The undertaker takes the coffin to a priest in the boot of a car, opens boot, priest carries out his duties, then off to crematorium.

Is this our future?

Undertakers are becoming prey to the virus which is causing another problem.

Difficult times. People like and want to say goodbye.

Funerals in this country are limited to five people including the person taking the service. Close family only.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feeding the ducks whilst in self-isolation.   (Not mine - I borrowed it)

Five! He took longer to come out than Phillip Schofield 

Day 26 of quarantine if only my neighbour had brought food instead of 356 rolls of toilet paper    

MD. We have no choice but to go through this together!   But I think it has brought out the best and sometimes the worst in people

• Like 2
8 hours ago, radfordred said:

Not much mention of 21 year old Chloe Middleton the UK’s youngest victim?

Orwell was spot on, some are more equal than others. 

Very grim and sobering news.  However the Facebook post said "no underlying health issues", but I thought I heard BBC say "Not clear if underlying issues".

Still awful though. 

I have read or heard somewhere that there is evidence that the severity of the disease can depend on the 'Viral Load'.or in other words.. how much Virus people absorb when they get infected. Obviously I can't speculate about the poor girl in question.

Re Chleo as with others they are saying no underlying issues.

I read that to be, no known underlying issues.

They may have had undetected issues which presumably would be discovered in post mortem and revealed at a later date.

This evening our Prime Minister has announced that as of Monday midnight all gatherings indoor or outdoor will be limited to two people. This includes private properties.

Technically it means that you can have no more than one person over to your house. A family of more than two people can take the dog for a walk but they must all live in the same house. If you want to exercise with a friend it can only be two people.

You can go and visit your parents or siblings but social distancing guidelines are recommended. It is not surprising there is some confusion about how this rule applies

It is strongly recommended that anyone over seventy should stay at home and self-isolate. if we have to go out we should limit contact with other people as much as possible.

Here in South Australia we have had 257 cases or 17 per 100,000 residents and luckily no deaths as yet although 6 people are in intensive care.

My thoughts are with all that have been affected by this virus wherever they are.

Keep safe everyone

Oztalgian. I hear update from Australia through my cousins and it's starting to look grim. We can't have friends around and we can't go to friends either. We are fine and probably very lucky in the sense that we don't live in an apartment and be restricted to staying in a small space. At least we can go and sit outside when weather permits.

Dark Angel. Yes it's true no funerals are taking place here. Here they attract loads of people so it's safer not to hold them. I heard yesterday that they are cremating the dead but they can only cremate so many each day, think I heard 12. When the coffin comes out of where it's been held there is only one person allowed to say their goodbyes.

Today they were saying that one grandfather isn't allowed to say goodbye to his 3 yr old grandson whose body was found the other day, because he was in quarantine. 

On 3/24/2020 at 10:03 PM, LizzieM said:

Our boys have a massive problem as they are a small but global construction company and have contracts all over the World.  They’ve managed to get most of the men home but still have a Brit stuck in Panama,

Our chap in Panama has been arrested for going out for a jog!   The 10 in Falklands are still there ...... a military plane went to bring people back to UK but concentrated on ‘old and vunerable’.  Situation still difficult for our boys.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The NHS will be overwhelmed for years to come doing spine replacements for all the fit & healthy workers who’s backbones went missing at the 1st sign of a nasty virus, thank god the NHS & other essential workers continued to turn in :angry: when it’s all over let’s give them 3 months off to do their gardens & lay around watching Netflix & moaning about staying in.  

• 5 months later...

We only need a lockdown because of idiots.  Some of the idiots are ordinary folk, but most of them are in the Government.

• Like 1