Driving licence renewal

Sorry to hear all that fuss just for a piece of plastic. Its unbelievable. I renewed my licence a while ago and its not that complicated here, in fact its so simple its ridulous. We go to , actually its a driving school but all applications are dealt with there. The owner of the school sees to all the applications and we go with appointment along with everyone else and one by one we are called to see the inspector who asks various questions. When we've finished we pay and sign , are given a permission to continue driving and we're told licence will be sent to us . All done and dusted. The only thing that bothers me is that the inspector speaks in such a low voice that i sometimes dont catch what he saying. I'm not deaf but a quiet speech in Italian is hard to understand. Then he asks where I'm from and a conversation starts up. Not ideal for the situation because there's other people waiting.

Mary hope you don't have to wait much longer.

My dad learned to drive at Chilwell army depot during the war, an all groups license, the only things he couldn't drive on that license was a bus, taxi and motor bike.

Years later when he worked for Bartons Transport, he had the articulated trucks removed from the license.

My late Mother tried, but she used to freeze up in tricky situations, so never passed her test, in fact she scared the examiners to death....

Always worth hanging onto evidence of what vehicle categories you’re entitled to drive, including keeping the original when renewing. I’ve heard reports over the years of people suddenly finding that their licence doesn’t include, for example, riding large capacity motorcycles, or towing trailers/caravans, and even lorry drivers losing LGV categories.

When this has happened, DVLA demand proof of entitlement, rather than accepting that they have made mistakes.

Dad himself had them remove articulated trucks, reason being, all his trips would be one day trips, the big boys roamed the country, he preferred his own bed at night.

• 3 weeks later...

I think my case will go in to the history books.

It is now nearly the end of October and as I am ony allowed to drive for 2 years i have to reapply for my driving licence to be renewed.

It was the beginning of June that my licence went in for renewel (see Previous post)

I phoned last week and this week but it still is with the drivers panel. 

When I phone they keep telling me that i can still drive with my GPs say so rule 88 of highway code? (not sure of num 88) now from June - Oct it is 5 months and your health can change quite a lot. but if I had carried on driving and somthing had gone wrong what would my insurance say?? also My GP who say's that I am fit to drive but knows nothing about Parkinson's?

Q/ 1    Is there any body out there who can give me driving lessons as by the time I ao get my licence back i will need them. 

Q/2 What would yu do if it was you.

I am at the state of giving up my Parkinson's nurse who I saw in May said that I was still OK to drive and she woud tell the DVLA this.

Q/ 3 Any body want to buy a car?

just another thing that I found out if you have a long term Illness you can get free car tax  best not to go there.

WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!!!!!!!

The DVLA website has plenty of infomation confirming that you can drive.

If your Doctor says O.K then it won't be a problem for your Insurance Co. as you meet the requiremenst DVLA set to continue driving.

You don't even have to inform the Insurance co.

3xUmIhJ.png

MLhWM4U.png

Thanks very much Stuart i have read the act  many time's  but seeing as we have about 10-12 dociors at our practice and it takes you a month to get to see one and I was told by one of the senior doctor not one knows about Parkinson's, then I will just wait. 

PS it's not me that I don't trust driving but there are a lot of other idiots  out there driving so best to be safe, and Master is quite a good chauffeur, he takes me any were I ask, in fact he even went food shopping the other day.

Now that a turn up for the books, maybe he will get his name in the Guinness Record book.

He's not on his own there Mary. I regularly have to go shopping on me own.

'Er indoors has not been too steady for a while. She tends to panic a bit and not too keen on going out nowadays. She gets anxious when I go to work and does get confused, so it's left to me. This last two years with Covid has made a rather unsteadiness effect on her.(Not that either of us has caught it).