HI   YeOlde   WELCOME to our site I'm sure you will find lots of information about Arnold from our member's. Must admit don't know much about Arnold myself but my family used to live on Rosecroft Drive, and when St Ann's came down we went to live on Longdale Road , my cousin has lived in Arnold all her life, so if i can help just send your question.

x

Welcome YeOlde.  My mother’s family were from the Arnold area. Grandmothers family was Ellis and the family ran Ellis bakers which was where Birds now is. My grandfather was the youngest of 5 having 4 sisters. The family  name was Clarke and they were a Daybrook family. My Great grandfather was a van driver, horse drawn of course for Jacobees lace and eventually became head of the stables for the firm living in a company owned house next to the stables. My mother was born over her parents shop on Front Street now a hairdressers.  
In about 1983 shortly before his death Grandad was staying at my mums for Christmas. I had a new cassette recorder, a Christmas present so I sat and ‘interviewed’ grandad on tape. Now we’re in lockdown I dug the tape out last night and am going to make a start on transcribing it. He talks of his early life in Daybrook and in some detail about his experience in WW1 as a Stokes mortar crew member with the Highland Light Infantry.

• Like 4

The name Alan Surgey rings a bell from  the 60's, can't remember whether he was older/younger/same age as me.

I'd go for older so he would be 70 now?

May have been at Arnold High or possibly Methodist Sunday School.