Hello folks, this badge/medal has been in the family for years but I don't know anything about it. The initials on it appear to be NAI but I don't think they are a person's initials. I wonder if it stands for Nottingham something, something? It has the date 1905 on it. Anyway, if anyone can help please let me know. Cheers

P1060161.JPG

When the picture is blown up in size, looking at the letters NAI they look well positioned so were most likely factory / expert produced

Whereas the 1905 only the 19 looks well positioned, the 05 seem to have been added after by others.

So I think would probably be a membership badge given on year of enrolling and that year added.

However it could be a membership number and the badges were bought in batches of 100 pre engraved with the first 2 numbers.

If it was membership I'd have expected the name to be on the back.

If it was for a reward / Honour I'd expect that to be identified on the badge.

ZBLbcPF.png

It reminds me very much of the medals we were awarded in dancing competitions in the 1960s: gold, silver and bronze (although not those actual metals!)

The date may refer to the year the competition was held. It had occurred to me that N might indicate National and A might indicate Award(s)

What I stands for is anyone's guess. Ice skating, perhaps?

Jills suggestion of medals got me thinking and I’ve done a bit more research. I’m fairly sure this is a pocket watch fob and it seems these were often given as prizes for all sorts of things. Cycling clubs, cricket clubs, bowls,  you name it. Clubs and societies were very popular in the days before tv, radio etc. Sometimes engraved on the back with what it was for.

Thanks to everyone who has looked at this. It is definitely a fob for a pocket watch though the initials NAI don't match with any known relative. I suspect as some of you have said that it is commemorative but of what I shall probably never know. Nottingham or National Archery Institute? Nottingham Association of Insurers. Who knows but thanks for the help. 

• 3 years later...

I inherited this from my mum. It could be just someone's initials on the fob (though they don't match anyone I know). Or it might be an association or company. I think it says NAI. Does anyone know of any company or Institute that could fit those initials? As you will see, it's dated 1905. Thanks to all.1223663215_IMG_20231001_1037182.thumb.jpg.d95bf7df982e079f02e8ae929d7c1b80.jpg

The only NAI company that I am aware of was the Neath Abbey Ironworks, changed its name to Neath Abbey Iron Company in 1818.

They manufactured stationary steam engines and locomotives, they also produced machine tools particularly boring machines, gas plant and did marine engineering but were defunct before 1905 so I guess that it is probably not applicable and most likely someone's initials.

Your memory isn't wrong !

The OP originally posted the subject in 2020 and received several answers. The topic was re-posted yesterday, and I've merged both threads.

What you remember is the first 9 posts above.

Could it be ‘Institute of Advanced Nursing’?  Alternatively ‘ Advanced Nursing Institute’? 
  You are looking at a great grandparent or one of their siblings for the year 1905.

Also for that date you are more likely to be looking for a spinster as nursing was more of a vocation.