Restaurant Location Required

old school freind has posed this question regarding location of a restaurant

somewhere near Maid Marian way / ibm building / parliament street when he was a kid. 

He thinks you got a lift up to it and could see all over Nottingham. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Enigma. said:

old school freind has posed this question regarding location of a restaurant somewhere near Maid Marian way / ibm building / parliament street when he was a kid. 

As an alternative....was there a restaurant in the old Co-Op building ?   It would fit the same location description.

• Like 1

CT., Are you referring to the Elizabethan rooms at the top of the Co-op? I believe they had a couple of function rooms up there.

,( Had my wedding reception there).

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

CT., Are you referring to the Elizabethan rooms at the top of the Co-op? I believe they had a couple of function rooms up there.

,( Had my wedding reception there).

I only mentioned the Co-op as a general suggestion because I couldn't remember if they had any kind of restaurant there at all. I'd forgotten about the Elizabethan Rooms which get several mentions in this old thread.    https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12038-co-op-parliament-street/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Enigma. said:

thanks for the suggestion  Cliff Ton 

If your friend looks at the photo posted by Mess on November 1st 2012, there's a photo of the Elizabethan Rooms, which might help......  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12038-co-op-parliament-street/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-141145

• Like 1

Not sure how long Royal Hotel    has been built ( now has new name) but they had a restaurant on the top floor and you could see all over Nottingham. Not sure if restaurant is still there though.

In later years, The Elizabethan Rooms were reduced in area and became a self service cafeteria occupying the far end only. The rest of that floor was given over to a strange admixture of gardening equipment and records! I often visited the record department which had a good classical selection. I found many Glenn Gould box sets in there.

I recall looking up at the balcony which, by that time seemed to be in use as a storage area for empty boxes and cardboard packing. Rather sad. It had certainly seen more splendid days.

• Like 1

In my post from Nov 2012 I recount how my dad used to take the family for Saturday lunch in the early 60s. I too remember the decline of the restaurant and the balcony becoming cluttered with stored packaging. It was quite sad having enjoyed it so much as a 10 year old. I also remember taking my kids up there in the 70s when IIRC the toy dept was relocated and having a sneaky look behind the swing doors into the disused kitchens. BTW when I first got married in 1973 our reception was in a side room. I have a vague recollection my future father in law may even have got a huge ribbon of Co-Op stamps when he paid. Who remembers those dispensers by the tills where the cashier would press numbered buttons and the stamps would spew out?

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Enigma. said:

old school freind has posed this question regarding location of a restaurant

somewhere near Maid Marian way / ibm building / parliament street when he was a kid. 

I remember going to quite a posh restaurant in The Strathdon Hotel in the early 70s. I think you used a lift to access it.

• Like 1

I did too, Beekay! I remember having to go to the toilets in the corner, past the lifts, with my carnation buttonhole and hearing 2 young “ladies” say, “Look at ‘im! Y’ud think ‘e wer’ gooin’ to a bleddy weddin!” And I was - mine!

• Like 1

had a response that it must have been the albany as he said you could see the market square 

this thread can now be locked as its served its purpose - thanks to the users for their help 

Well done AG!!! Must admit, I did feel a bit of a prat at the time. I remember the car coming down Wollaton st and then dropping us off at the back end of the Co-op and we had to walk down a walkway that led to Parliament st.,(no idea what this was called). I'm  sure we went in a door half way down, through the store to a lift. It were like walking the gauntlet. You'd think with a name like King, I could cope and wave benevently. 

That were back in 1965.

Edit. Just found it on Google maps, it is Parliament terrace, AG., and there is a door half way down.

• Like 1