Portrait Of A City - Nottingham - 1993

A video written, presented and narrated by Dennis McCarthy.
It opens with a brief history of the city and shots from a drive round the city centre.
St Mary's Church, The Lace Market and Adam's Building, The Lace Hall,  The Shire Hall.
Clifton Estate, Edwalton, West Bridgford, Wollaton Park Estate, Bilborough Prefabs, Bulwell, Mapperley Park, St Ann's, Sneinton.
Sneinton Market and Victoria Market and the Cattle Market.
Nottingham Evening Post, BBC East  Midlands, Central ITV, BBC Radio Nottingham, Radio Trent and GEM AM.
Brian Clough getting the Freedom of The City.
Nottingham Forest FC and Notts County FC.
Nottingham Castle.
The Tales of Robin Hood.
The Robin Hood Festival.
Leslie Crowther, Dame Laura Knight, Bendigo, Albert Ball, Alan Sillitoe,
Watson Fothergill, Torvill and Dean, George Green and Green's Windmill, 
William Booth and The Goodwill Centre, Jesse Boot,.
Nottingham University and Students Rag Week,.
The Trip To Jerusalem, Yate's Wine Lodge, The Salutation, The Royal Children, The Bell Inn, The Lion Hotel and its cave cellars.
The Savoy Cinema, The Showcase Cinema, The Odeon, The MGM (ABC) Cinema, The Broadway Cinema.
The Black Orchid, The commodore, The Palais de Dance (Ritzy), Astoria, Rock City, Madison's.
The Bowling Alley. The Albert Hall, The Royal Centre,  The Theatre Royal, The Playhouse, The Coop Arts Theatre, The Lace Market Theatre.
Queen's Fish Bar, Nor Jahan, The Blue Nile with belly dancing,  Ruen Thong, Summer Palace.
Chinese New Year dragon dancing, Caribbean Carnival, The Lord Mayor's Parade.
Nottingham to Skegness steam train ride. The Orient Express.
The Butterflies Park at Farnsfield, The Sherwood Forest Farm Park,  The Model Aviation Museum,.
Tollerton (Nottingham) Airport, Crich Tramway Museum.
Trent Bridge, The Tamar Belle.
The Arboretum,  Wollaton Hall and Park,  The Riverside Festival, The Aviary.
The Goose Fair.

• Like 3

Loved watching the film Enigma, there were lots of facts and information in it that I didn’t know about. So sad that a lot has changed in the 27 years since the film was made, many of the old shops no longer exist or trade in the city, and several events don’t happen anymore.  Having brought our kids up in a different part of the country I never knew, for example, that there was a Butterfly Farm nearby ...... we’ve never been to Crich Tram Museum either.  How I yearn to be let out into the big wide World again to experience some of the many lovely attractions that Nottingham has to offer.  

• Like 1

Thanks Enigma. I have only managed to watch 15mins of the video, but as Lizzie says there is so much interesting information on Nottingham. I will watch as much as I can later and may even have to do it in thirds.

A great find, though most of the Nottingham that I remember from my yoof had already been flattened and replaced by the time the video was made. 'Great to see Sneinton Market and Cattle Market again , a regular Saturday excursion with dad when we were kids.I think to give Mam a bit of peace for a couple of hours'.

Did I ever tell you that I lost one of my front teeth one Saturday at Sneinton Market. Ruined my ice cream it did. What a memory. Pink icecream .YUK.:wacko:

• Like 1

I haven't watched it all yet, but......

....a lot of what I've seen so far is footage I've never seen anywhere else before. It makes you aware how much has changed in the city centre, especially the traffic/road systems.

My first reaction was to think that 1993 isn't all that long ago, but then realised it's 27 years.

I'm studying the street scenes closely to see if I can see myself or anyone I know who happened to be walking past the camera at the time.

• Like 3

I almost watched it all. Thoroughly enjoyed it. BUT. I  got to 1:25:53..'The lord Mayors Parade and the Scottish Pipers came on. Well, Pipers in Kilts, I  had to keep rewinding, just to make sure I didny miss anything,

Just as I was getting over them, the Morris Dancers came on. That's it. All over, my weakness both on with in minutes of each other.  Can't beat a bit of tradition. Must watch the remaining few minutes when I get over meself. I was looking for relations and old friends, but no luck. I must say a great find Enigma.

• Like 1

A very interesting video, Enigma.... I've only watched the first part, but will definitely watch the rest tomorrow

• Like 1

I watched it for a bit, but thought it was 'bitty ', jumping from one scene to another before one had the time to digest. Would have thought some of the picture quality could be better for the 90s. However, interesting and will watch a bit more tomorrow. 

I managed to finish the Nottingham film. There were some interesting bits and memories revived and lots of the things that are no longer there. I thought it was ‘bitty’ and a very amateur movie. It could have been more professionally put together. Dennis McCarthey was revered as a saint by the old dears who listened to ‘Afternoon Special’ and when he passed on he had what amounted to a ‘state funeral’ with the centre of town being brought to a halt.

I never thought of it as 'bitty' or amateurish.... I just enjoyed watching it!   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Watched the rest of the video - think I might take up belly dancing - it looks fun:rotfl:

At the next meet-up Margie I'll make sure there is enough room for you demonstrate your new skills..    thumbsup

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

A slightly boring 2 hour film which could have been edited

Glad you said  what I thought CT. I know McCarthy had a few fans on here but his monotone, slightly rushed commentary didn't do the film any favours either.

• Like 1

It mentions a 1995 version of the film in the titles but fortunately that doesn't show in Google searching.

Dennis died in 1996 so may have been work in progress.

I think it suffers from , "I've been in the broadcasting business for 40 years (or whatever it was) so can  Script, Produce , Direct, Present etc."

It looks to be a family and friends production as I worked with one of the names in the credits, his son was also involved.

Mrs McCarthy and Daughter Tara are listed .

It doesn't help being a bad transfer of VHS to digital.

It is however a record of the time in Nottingham.

• Like 2

I watched the film last night and quite enjoyed it.  I could see how some might fault it for too long or short segments.  Ie.  The mention of Nettherfield was short.  I would have liked a bit more because I grew up there.  Had to remind myself it was abour Nottingham not Netherfield.  For a program that didn't claim to be professional I thought they did well.

Re. video quality.  It was obviously recorded on vhs before hi def really took off so not bad for the resolution.

I have several videos on YT.  First one copied from 8mm movie film.  The others from vhs in the 90s before I got my hi def camera.  Not trying to plug 'em but you can find them under the name 'sollylab' if you do a YT search.  There is another poster on there by the name of 'sollylabs'  That's not me I'm singular not plural.

Solomon was the name of my black Lab back then.  Thus the name.   Wish I'd taken more back in the day but never foresaw Youtube or NS.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

The video reminded me that Dennis was a brilliant local radio performer but could never hack TV. The production came across as a radio programme with pictures and wasn't helped that afforable home video post-production (software-based editing) was still quite a few years in the future.

I agree Dennis was great on the radio (although not my personal taste).

I remember seeing him on occasions as a presenter on BBC Midlands Local News. He always looked scruffy and dishevelled, as if he'd just wandered in the room and been asked to "just sit in this chair for a minute".