Dance studio in city centre

2 hours ago, Nicko1 said:

Hi

Does anyone know a dance studio that I went to in the mid fifties? It was on either Exchange Walk or Kings Walk. 

Nicko

Hello Nicko.  I went to the Mavis Levy School of Dance which was on Exchange Walk in the fifties.  Walking down Exchange Walk it was about halfway down on the right.  The studio was on the top floor, had a wooden floor, a barre along the wall and mirrors.  There was a piano in there and the pianist was a lady called Mrs Jerome (at least she was there when I was)  I was usually taught by a lady called Hazel Whittaker.  I did Ballet, Tap and , 'Stage Branch' and had a few free Ballroom lessons because there was a boy who needed a partner.

Some years we did a dance show at a theatre on George Street.  

I wonder if I saw you there....

10 minutes ago, MargieH said:

There was a piano in there and the pianist was a lady called Mrs Jerome 

Margie, would it be the same Mrs Jerome who was a music teacher at Carlton le Willows in the early 60s? 

Quite possibly, Lizzie.  She had 2 sons who went to CleWs - John and Mel..   I remember her playing the piano at a school production of Cendrillon (Cinderella) when I was the Fairy Godmother and danced in my tutu to 'The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy'. I am SO pleased that this was generally before the days of videos!!!

So your wife was 4 years younger than me, Phil.  I probably wouldn't remember her as such a difference in ages meant she wouldn't have been in any of my classes.  Did she take any of the exams?  I've still got all my certificates up to and including  grade 5 in Ballet,   and bronze and silver medals for Tap.

Can she remember if she was taught by a Hazel Whittaker, who was youngish and attractive with. dark curly hair?  

Yes, Margie. She remembers it well. She knew both Mrs Jerome and Mrs Whittaker. She did ballet and character. She remembers appearing at the theatre on George St. Sherry Hutchinson (Hewson) from Burton Joyce was there at the same time. Small world eh? She has got certificates somewhere.

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

Quite possibly, Lizzie.  She had 2 sons who went to CleWs - John and Mel..   

I remember Mel Jerome, he lives in America but came over for a big school reunion a few years ago. He’s on the school FB group. 

Lizzie, a year or so ago, I did correspond with Mel for a while as I knew him when he was a little lad coming to the classes in Woodthorpe with his mum, who was playing the piano for us.  He once walked me part of the way home when he was about 9 or 10 ....  I was a very young teenager then.

I believe  his older brother, John, has died.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 9:06 AM, Nicko1 said:

Hi

Does anyone know a dance studio that I went to in the mid fifties? It was on either Exchange Walk or Kings Walk. 

Nicko

@Nicko1Have you read the posts on this thread that you started?  I wonder if we met there?