20 Best Things Nottingham Has Given The World

I let my veg garden grow over with grass last year. With my bad hip I was unable to tend it. I noticed when I was mowing at the weekend you couldn’t tell where it had been. Now I’m on the road to recovery I miss not having it but it would require the removal of the turf and a thorough going over with the rotovator. (It was quite a large area). I believe you can hire turf cutters but I think it might be a little early to consider wrestling with the rotovator. I think I’ll give the current year a miss and start the preparations in the autumn when I should be back to 100%.

• Like 1

Hey Margie, if the beans are that old, maybe they will come as " Has Beans". :rolleyes: Tina put some sprouting Eleven baby potatoes yesterday, think they might come up as marbles.

• Like 1

I also heard that May 12 was the date to plant beans but I reckon it's warm enough this year to do it a bit earlier.   All theflowers in the garden has been early this year...

• Like 1

I don't plant directly into the ground.  Except I tried some Sunflowers under a fence to give some screening from the Glums over the back but not one of a dozen seeds has germinated so I'll need to plan some more up in pots.  We also suffer from Mice, Foxes and the odd squirrel.. not to mention b****y cats..  I have just four bean seeds in pots at present which will get planted out when about 6" high.. which will most likely be around 12th May at the rate they're going.  I'll plant another four or maybe 6 in a month or so. 'Successional Sowing dontcha know.. ;).  Otherwise there'll be a glut and I won't be able to give 'em away.

I planted 6 or 8 sprouting baby spuds about 3 weeks ago.  They are where I used to plant beans and are just showing through.  Anything we get from them is a bonus. Last night I sorted out very old packets of Spinach, Radishes and Beetroot.  I'll be planting them up this week and they'll have two chances.. ;).  I only have a very small veg patch which hasn't been used for a few years because every year I promise myself I'll tidy it up and put down a base for a small greenhouse...

Maybe next year..

jonab did you ever have any of the biggest onions in the world from a chap on central ave.  Or did you ever get any plants from " "Barlows"?

Funny you should say that Carni, I'm having one for me dinner, in about 15 minutes.  :yahoo:What I don't eat I'll shove under me car wheel cos the handbrake dunna work.

• Like 1

mary, It was my dad who was the gardener and, despite all the faults I might have thought about him, a good gardener. I don't remember anything about giant onion growers on Central Avenue but I do remember my uncle Jack (of Croft Avenue - opposite the prefabs) bringing us some pretty sizeable leeks which he'd grown himself.

Regarding Barlows. That's a new one to me. The only Barlows I recall were (I think) Barlow's Roses. They had a stall on Central Market in Nottingham.

Jonab, here locals use the different phases of the moon for planting various things. I've always thought it a bit strange but apparently it works.

Phase 2 started today so we're hoping for the best and people are respectful of what we're told. My daughter and I have been repotting some odd plants. I dug up the bulbs that I planted in troughs that were a bit late when I put them in. Some I threw away but the hyacinths are sprouting and looking very healthy. 

Tomorrow our "new front garden " is being continued. It had to stop to "allow" us to have the coronavirus. It's all gravel at the moment with a path coming towards the house. We are going to leave a couple of borders and grass the rest. I have a young fig tree that's in a tub and I don't know whether to leave it there or plant it. I have the right spot for it. We think we've got to transfer one of the acer trees. The red ones leaves are looking very dull and dry so I think we misjudged where the shade was going to come too. The green one looks really healthy and has lots of new leaves but the red one hasn't. It's only a very young tree so don't think it will come to any harm if we're careful.

Nice to have the sun from dawn to dusk but for plants it's a problem especially the summers here.

• Like 1