Does anybody know when some of the buildings facing the Fox & Grapes were built, some of which have circular windows, 

I have always thought they pre date the bus station in style..

Moving forward to 1983.I remember a shop that had large sepia, almost billboard size pictures in the window roughly next door to Flittermans on the corner of Manvers..

There is a date plaque on the buildings which reads 1926. I believe the bus depot was opened in 1929. At this time the area around the Fox and Grapes was all housing, demolished in the mid 1930s to make way for the market.

The only thing that i can recall Flittermans changed to Army and Navey stores next to the was a curtain shop, then next shop was something to do with the buses (get your bus pass) offices. Next i thnk was a Red Cross shop charity.  I think Cliff has just got to post before me (above)    Just saw photo that Cliff has put on site it is quite a new set of shops as at the back you can see Nottm Arena.

Thanks Cliffton, yes, and to the right of there, I recall the date plaque, in stone?

Wasn't it on the corner?

Mary1947, i was thinking Sally army for the clarity shop, but think your right with red cross.

That’s right HSR. It’s opposite the Motorpoint Arena on the corner. 

During the building of the market it was suggested that the pub be subject to a compulsory purchase order and demolished to make more room for the stallholders. Councillor Hooley of the Market Committee suggested instead that the pub be granted extended hours to serve the traders ... and the legend was born!!

• Upvote 1

The date plaque (at least the one I'm thinking of) is this.......https://goo.gl/maps/RbGUaQdimdetebPE7

Looking at that whole length of buildings from Manvers Street round to the entrance to the bus garage on Parliament Street, I can't work out if it is all part of one big building project, or if there were various stages at different times.

7FHwi63.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the link Cliffton..Well that answers my question..

Still not convinced however, when clearance took place of what became the bus station, these were spared.

The date plaque I recall was on the corner of  Southwell & Manvers, 1905? I my have dreamt it!

Regarding stages of bus station, there's a photo that shows two archways back end on Manvers St circa 1890, I'm 99 percent sure they were still there in 1994. When I looked on Google in 2016 they were gone, along with every building until the King Billy.

There's another plaque on the Lower Parliament St end near where Carter Gate Ford used to be.

Suggesting that although the building looks like at least 3 separate developments it was all constructed at the same time.

4BOmqvT.jpg

cS0WzTk.jpg

Thanks for the picture Stuart.C, where that yellow semaphore arm is, it's the exact place where I learned how to couple and uncouple trolley bus poles onto the overhead wires. That was way back in 1962. Happy days.

What is now a tattoo shop, was the one that had photographic billboards in the window, think it also incorporated the shop next door to the right.

Lots of changes here, but one thing remains the same, the area looks neglected.

After the building of the Arena I would have liked to think the area would have thrived.

Can only assume the Arena does it's own fast food, bar facilities Etc.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what the area looked like in the halfway stage. The back-to-backs have been demolished, but the bus garage hasn't appeared yet.

For reference I've marked Manvers Street; and F & G is the Fox and Grapes (Pretty Windows).

t0zDqDO.jpg

• Like 2

CT., just been having a trawl on Mr.Googles maps. My question is.....What happened to Colwick road?

I always thought it started at Parliament st. depot and continued up to Colwick woods. I never went any further as my knowledge was of the 44 trolley route that I worked on before moving up to Bilborough.

No wonder I couldn't locate it. It has become like a side street. Don't recognise the bypass type main road. Nice to see the old trolley turn round just before the rail crossing. Also noticed the gate to walk through Colwick woods still there, been through that many times as a nipper.

Can you still walk through the woods?

Are we talking about the same gate Beekay,, as a youngster I found it very complicated! abit like dealing with the Coop doors!

Those woods were considered Well dodgy by the early eighties as were the colick crossing toilets!!

Do you remember the 'clearing' with old tree? Had lot's of carvings in it? 

That's right Stuart.

HSR... I am not aware of any clearing or carvings. I used to walk up from the 44 terminus through the gate and up a steep path, that I do remember. The path then dropped down into a little valley. Looking toward Sneinton,  on the right the trees gave to a large grassy field, where I used to visit my Aunt Evelyn and Uncle Mark, who lived in one of the Nissen huts that were up there (they later moved to Clifton). Bearing in mind, I could have only been about 10/11 ish. Used to catch the 44 on Alfreton road, at the top of Boden street. Can't see that being allowed today.

What were the carvings, incidentally?

AG., Some pictures would be great !

There are quite a few kissing gates around here. Their function is to allow people but not livestock to pass through. There used to be a few on the riverside path between Hazleford an Fiskerton. Difficult to thread a bike through though.