Nottingham Scouting 1942 onwards

Recall seven good years in the 121st Nottingham Scout Troop, with regular camps at Walesby, regular weekends in a little hut much nearer the city, and memorable trips to Sark in 1947 and 1949, and France in 1948, when travel was very much train and ferry. A Kings Scout trip to London, sleeping on board Discovery, and a March Past at Windsor Castle was a later feature, just before National Service took over my life. The Scouters were Raven and Merlin I recall, and our uniforms were distinguished by our grey jerseys. I wonder if the troop still exists and if so are they still attached to a school?

• Like 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia John there are many interesting things on this sight going back a long way just like many of us. I was in the first Nuthall scout group in 1958 and remember going to Walesby camping it was a good experience living with basic things like pitching your tent going to the Providor for supplies,cooking on a campfire and washing our dishes and cutlery in the small river that ran though the forest.Our Scout Master was Ron Whitmore who later became a Queens Scout he did a lot of work for the Scout movement. I remember going on parades where we walked in orderly lines from St Patricks Church Nuthall to the War Memorial in Kimberley i can not remember if it was November eleventh anniversary but it was cold after the parade i went to friends house in Kimberley where we drank hot chocolate to warm us up.

Welcome John. As they used to say -'once a scout, always a scout'. i was in the 72nd troupe at Palin St., 1949.52. Scout master was John Hopkins, assisted by Eric Garrett. I only went as far as Walesby but thought it was wonderful. I remember several of us being taken there in the back of an open truck. I was sat on the portable toilet seat. It was a seat on a box that was to be set up over a fresh dug hole surrounded by bit of canvas on poles. happy days :biggrin: 

Welcome John. I was a Cub and Scout with the 96th Nottm. Sadly now gone I think.

I wrote some rather wry stuff about my scouting days somewhere on here. I'll try to find it and post a link.

But.. despite my feigned cynicism.. I owe a lot to my scouting days.

I was in 105th St Judes  on Woodborough Rd late 50s early 60s.

Wonderful men ran this troop and taught us stuff that lasted all our lives.

• Like 1

31st Player's Own was my scout troup in my youth based in Ascot Road in the basement of the warehouse which later became the first of a cash n carry depot opposite Speedo.  Skip Saunders and skip Dunc were in charge. I was in sparrow patrol. The other senior patrols were named after birds of prey.

Annual camps were Dunoon (overnight train and ferry) and Barmouth. Also Ratcliffe on soar. Accommodation was ex army ridge tents and bell tents, complete with leaks when it rained. Evenings singing round a campfire, (remember singing The vicar of Bray? Call and response   verses improvised by senior patrol leader) Sleeping on straw paliases. Latrines as mentioned above post. A word of advice, don't dig latrines at the bottom of a slope, the rain runoff goes there. As mentioned above, transport to Walesby was improvised; 3 Players box Vans, (no windows) 1 van for the kit bags and tents, 2 for the scouts, roller shutters half open for air. At Walesby we built a rickety sheer legs and line over a stream, ate stuff cooked on an open fire and slept like logs. 

We visited the 50th jamboree at Sutton Coldfield in 57, scouts from all over the world.

We had a special parade in town one year so we were packed into a hired corpo rear entrance double decker, the drums going under the stairs. The bass drum being the largest went on last, and unattended, it  came off first. On Bobbers Mill bridge,  rolling down the hill towards the railway line. Furious ringing of the bell was ignored by the driver (bus full of kids!) But we got it back. 

I enjoyed my scouting experience. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Is it true, you can start a fire by rubbing two scouts together?

It might not start a fire, but it could get you ten years inside.

• Like 1

Can anyone remember the Gang Shows put on by the scouts and cubs i remember doing only one and it was held in a big hall somewhere on the Nottingham side of Cinderhill Island. I think we did the show for 3 days and the audiences were quite large,the act we did was based on a circus.

Ian. The only halls on the Nottingham side of Cinderhill Island were the Christ Church Hall. And Miner's Welfare, assuming that place had a hall? 

14 hours ago, katyjay said:

Ian. The only halls on the Nottingham side of Cinderhill Island were the Christ Church Hall. And Miner's Welfare, assuming that place had a hall? 

I remember a chapel almost opposite the Miners Welfare that had a hall. It was used by the Boys Brigade around 1954. I has been demolished and now re-build as business premises

• 4 weeks later...

The statue of the Robert Baden-Powell, from which millions of kids have benefited will be removed today.

I promise that I will do my best.

To do my duty to God & to the queen.

To help other people.

And to keep the Cub Scout law. 

DYB-DYB-DOB-DOB 

EaL88e-XQAEZ6Z6?format=png&name=small

Wonder if they're going to take Maggie Thatcher in Parliament down, after what she did to the miners in the eighties. Just asking.