Nottingham Scouting 1942 onwards

Let's not forget that some bugger took down and stole the statue of Eric Morecambe,  in the town of that name!

What was his crime, apart from his jokes...All that was left was his foot ! ( believe it's been replaced though).

2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I perceive that we are now not permitted to mention the word but just refer to it only by the initial letter.

Thus:

IMHO.  WALOC!

Do you have a translation book?

The Scout Troop I belonged to was great (105th) , I learned a great deal that has helped through life.

Don't know about BP though it looks as if he was quite right wing.

Where will it stop? Will we be dismantling churches throughout the country because of the (now) politically incorrect views spouted from pulpits that resulted in the crusades or the Spanish Inquisition?

Crazy stuff!

There’s racism in all races. They all have a pecking order. Look at the caste system in India as an example. Even in the U.K. we still have the upper, middle and lower class system. The current displays are just an excuse for the rabble to go on the rampage as they have had little else to do whilst in lockdown.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The current displays are just an excuse for the rabble to go on the rampage as they have had little else to do whilst in lockdown.

....and they are probably being paid by the state whilst doing it !

3 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I perceive that we are now not permitted to mention the word but just refer to it only by the initial letter.

Thus:

IMHO.  WALOC!

AFAIAC,, IME and IMHO, use of such informal Acronyms can reduce the need for repetitive typing of common phrases..IYSWIM..;)

This can in turn lead to a reduction in TL:DR ... :rolleyes:

I look up all these acronyms but then I can't remember what some of them  are the next time I see them!   (Short term memory and all that!)

6 hours ago, radfordred said:

promise that I will do my best.

To do my duty to God & to the queen.

To help other people.

And to keep the Cub Scout law. 

DYB-DYB-DOB-DOB 

Failed, you're a dib and dob short...!

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

AFAIAC,, IME and IMHO, use of such informal Acronyms can reduce the need for repetitive typing of common phrases..IYSWIM..;)

This can in turn lead to a reduction in TL:DR ... :rolleyes:

I dislike them almost as much as I dislike txt spk.     :angry2:

YMMV  ;)

I got to see old B-P before he goes into hiding.  The mob will be attempting to set fire to Brownsea Island next.  I don’t know how true the accusations are about B-P but frankly I don’t care, but I do know his legacy has been good for millions of young people worldwide.  E0-DAF63-B-CAC5-4-C15-A5-D4-87-CA4375-FB

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I too was a Cub and a Scout. I too am grateful for what I learned from those institutions and by implication, what I was enabled to learn as a result of what Baden-Powell started.  If BP was indeed an 'admirer of Hitler and Mussolini', then that is at the very least deeply regrettable.  But., it puts BP in the same frame as 'King' Edward VIII.  and probably says more about naivity than anything else.