I was sat on the bog this morning reading about Nottingham in Bradshaw's railway guide. Apparently, from Mapperley Plains, according to Bradshaw, it is possible to see Lincoln Cathedral and Belvoir Castle. Is that right?

Belvoir Castle you certainly can. Not sure about Lincoln Cathedral. You would need powerful binoculars as it’s about 40 miles away to the northeast. Having said that you can see both Lincoln Cathedral and Southwell Minster from High Cross hill above Bleasby. Apparently it’s the only place in the UK where you can see two Anglican Cathedrals. I can vouch for it as it was a very clear day yesterday and I stopped to look for the first time in many years. 

Said it a few times before,,,but most folk don't find it of any interest...no 'not Beachy Head.........but the Ural mountains in Western Russia.....being......... the highest point travelling in a straight line East from my old school   Padstow on Bestwood estate.....so we were informed by our great Geoghraphy Teacher Mr.Thomas.....don't think you can see em though.......lol.

• Upvote 1