I swear it wasn't me your honour. I've not bin in that area for donkeys years and I've never used an aerosol.

When I were last in that area, there were no such thing as aerosols. Any road! I plead diminished responsibility. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ayup! Are ya there Beekay. You’ll like this. Make sure you read to the end of the post. Another walk in the woods today, and I’m falling in love with the place all over again. The grassy play are

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury  I put to you that no one has mentioned aerosols  and yet the defendant, unerringly and without prompting, correctly identified the vandals instrument of choice. Why o

Beekay, you don't have to say anything but it may harm your defence if there is something which you later rely on at the next meet up.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury  I put to you that no one has mentioned aerosols  and yet the defendant, unerringly and without prompting, correctly identified the vandals instrument of choice. Why one has to wonder, would someone use initials not there own? The defendant has previously admitted to an intimate knowledge of the area and the hidden access and egress such acts of foul vandalism would require and only someone with the defendants skills in the use of paint would know the best colour to gain maximum contrast for his heinous crime.

I rest my case...

• Like 3

I repeat M'lud, you can tell it were done wiv  arrysoles. If it were me, Id'a painted Rose's n castles.

Is anybody open to a bribe?

Hold your hand out you naughty boy,     :(,,,la la la

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Is anybody open to a bribe?

Ahem.... err...now that you come to mention it...

I WASN'T THERE YOUR HONOUR..... I WAS UP AT PPs, HOLDING HIS NAILS AND PAINTBRUSH...

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 8:26 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The pub which was on the site of those flats changed its name at least once. It started life as the Ginger Tom in the 60s, but by the 90s it was called the Starting Gate. When the building was demolished in the early 2000s, the name Starting Gate was re-used on a new place nearer the racecourse.

If you click around on that link via Streetview you can turn round to see the other side of the road. That's where the pub was located (Ginger Tom and later Starting Gate). I didn't know the area but prior to the pub(s) it seems to have been unused land. So I don't think your cafe was exactly there.

it was called huckleberrys in the 90s

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

That's it Huckleberry's,

The railway man's house on the crossing had a spiral staircase in the early eighties, no idea if it was an original feature.

Does anybody recall, the other side of the crossing, running parallel with the Greyhound kennels and the road from the crossing to Netherfied, in between there was a strip of road, old buses, caravans etc?

Safe to assume then, with the mention of hut's, Greenwood Rd end was never a mini golf course, an unnatural terrain, wonder if the debris was buried on site?

On the extreme right, entering the woods i think there was a 'modern' generator, also a concrete base, AA gun emplacement? This is mid 70's...

Must go, Curse of Oak island is starting..I like conclusive answers! 

;)

• 1 month later...

Sorry HSR but there was a 'Pitch & put course' at the top of Greenwood Rd. opposite Ripon Rd. tickets to play were 'bought' at the Bowling Green keepers hut, trouble was it was out of sight of the keeper so if you had your own clubs no one was around to check you, same problem at Southwold(?) so we lost both of them!

Colwick woods have some very good memories for me being in the Army Cadets at Jesse Boot School (1942-46) and training in the woods but before that during the war time "Dig For Victory" campaign the playing field at JB was dug up  by hand, quite a lot by Sneinton Boulevard school. Mr. Lowe, one of the teachers really took to it selling the produce to pupils and locals and even set up a pig sty, 3 pigs for starters with 'shares' @ 2/- each, 3/- paid out "later"!

Dakyn St. football ground was between the road and railway line and used by S B school for sports, the 44 trolley bus terminus was there as well, opposite was the 'kissing' gate' entrance with a uphill path both ways, further along was the rail crossing with the 'cliff' to the right and a swampy area with lots of newts, continuing along that valley towards Greenwood Rd. was the mentioned 'spring & ice house'. The 'P & P course' was played on the right hand hillside with ,(I think) the 6th. hole played  back from near the cliff so steep the if you didn't get on the green in 3 we just took a 5 and carried on!       OMG! that's over 40 years  after we dug the playing field up!   

• Like 1

My Grandfather after coming home from the Great War decided that after doing his bit for the country he would take a share back. He decided to build a new fangled bungalow in Colwick Woods....No permission of course. My Mother told me accompanied by his daughters he drove a horse and cart  into the woods with the materials for the foundations,and was doing nicely until a bloke with a bowler hat turned up and explained that even in 'A land fit for heroes' this wasn't the Wild West and you couldn't just build on Public land  ....Those foundations could still be seen 50 years later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My son’s taken up photography and sometimes gets up at a ridiculous hour to capture the “golden hour”. I’ve been with him - once! He was in the woods a few days ago at about 7:00, so not too early, when he spotted a dog walker in the distance - completely naked! Even sans shoes! There was frost on the ground, too! He met a lady dog walker a bit later (fully clothed) who told him that she’d often seen him. Bet that’s why she bought a dog!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Brew sightseeing tour of Colwick Woods is now open for business and taking bookings...    smile2

2 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

He met a lady dog walker a bit later (fully clothed) who told him that she’d often seen him. Bet that’s why she bought a dog!!

...and she goes out there every morning at 7am just to check if he's still there :)

BK stiff drinks and bino's are extra. Please bear in mind  this is not suitable for  ladies of a 'certain age' or delicate disposition.  Participation is optional, (bring your own dog)

Clapping, wolf whistling and cat calling are strictly forbidden. 

Photographs will be by arrangement and requests for 'selfies', though not encouraged, are considered on a first come first served basis.

• Like 2