• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To answer benjamin 1945   Answer's to pub quiz 1/ Royal Children 2/ Trip to Jerusalem 3/ Newmarket 4/ The Corner Pin  (named after the game of Nine Pin Skittles) 5/

Maid Marians real name was Trudi Glen If you listen to the theme tune of the 60's TV series it tells you "Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding Trudi Glen"

Thought  Jessie Boot was Lord Trent not Lord Tenant ?

3 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Could have been it was called The Clock in 1983 Kenny Dennis was the landlord.

It was officially the Avenue Hotel but always known locally as the Clock.

• Like 1
On 5/25/2020 at 2:18 AM, DJ360 said:

I didn't spot that Mary.  All I can add is that India and various 'colonies' continued to manufacture 78s after UK and US went all 45 ish..

India continued to use 78 rpm records as they could be played on ‘acoustic’ wind up record players that didn’t require electricity. There were many remote parts of Africa and Asia that didn’t have mains electricity. Some of the early Beatles We’re released on 78’s. When I worked at Raleigh they had 78’s that were sent out to Africa that had music and songs in the native languages to advertise Raleigh and Rudge bikes. I have about 6 rescued from the skip they were going in. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I think the second one is top of Hockley.....Carlton Street.  https://goo.gl/maps/GpHWXd6e8w4B4DgY9

The last one is on Hockley. It was a little cafe/restaurant I used to go to on Saturday mornings. I thinks it’s changed hands recently but still an eatery. 

Edit... oops Den only had one right

These are a little trickier but still in the city limits...

OpCt8fq.jpg

C6pqbUB.jpg

The clock without hands is on the old Redmayne and Todd building. 

One dead easy, one not quite so easy:-

mGI3XGO.jpg

S3pkgPD.jpg

Yes and yes...

Two more:-

One dead easy but do you know where the second is?

Lqa7KxY.jpg

jDSAmof.jpg

Don’t recognise the top one but the lower one I think is a give away. It’s on Cope’s jewellers Parliament Street. My mum worked at Copes in the office of the factory which was in Lenton. A long history of clock making. 

It was G & F Cope that designed and built the Council House clock, the one in Yates and several others around the City. 

• Like 1

Correct, Copes on Parliament Street.

Look at the Tap and Tumbler Wollaton St for the other one.

The next is similar and also attached to a pub, but which one?

lkTyqyb.jpg

I wonder where this is?

ppJrlPE.jpg

Amazed the clock on St Nicks church Maid Marion way wasn't instantly recognised, The small one is on a pub wall (the Boat Inn), Priory street.

There are a surprising number of publics clocks dotted around the city but I'll give it a rest for now...

I immediately thought it was St Nics so had a look on google street view and the clock wasn’t there. Assumed  I was wrong so didn’t post. After the answer I re looked and realise the clock is on the side face of the tower that I didn’t look at. Close but no cigar.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Time for another quiz? let's see how good you are with local geography, one or two clues may be a bit dated but it's only for fun innit?
                                                 quiz-1073.jpg