My wife's hairdryer blew up yesterday. Went on Amazon, new one delivered same day. The edging shears long past their best. Amazon delivering new pair today. Morrisons had a slot yesterday. Groceries expected today.

Will we ever shop in the old fashioned way again?

We have two cars sitting on the drive. Do we really need both? How things have changed during our lockdown. There is a well stocked village shop 2 miles away and a farm shop 4 miles away for any special extras. I doubt I'll ever see the inside of a supermarket again. 

• Like 3

I have mentioned elsewhere that I do a few hours a day as a Hermes courier. Lockdown is educating people into online shopping. Parcel numbers are starting to drop but I very much doubt that it will drop to pre-Easter levels.

This is a coincidence, Phil..... I ordered a hairdryer with brush yesterday from Amazon , but my reason was that I needed it for my lockdown hair which seems to have developed a mind of its own.  I've had short hair for so long I'd forgotten that mine was actually a bit wavy.  I WILL make it behave!

Mine won't arrive until Wednesday, though, as we don't have Prime...

• Like 1

As a result of the increase in online shopping, there's a lot more delivery vans around.    They used to be the regular marked UPS, TNT, DHL, Royal Mail vehicles, but in the last few weeks I've seen an increasing number of rough-looking delivery vans and their equally rough-looking drivers. The kind of outfits who used to trawl the streets looking for scrap metal

Some of the vans look like they've been recycled from a scrap yard, and the drivers look dubious and scruffy. The delivery companies seem to be getting close to the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1

Maybe but we’ve never missed a delivery yet. We have a parcel box down by the lane but they seem to prefer to drive up to deliver and only use it when the gate’s locked. I went to a lot of trouble, pre hip operation, to fit that heavy box as well. My wife comes to examine it and says ‘you should have asked me to help!’. Always the same - after the event! :biggrin:

@philmayfield   They were asking me for £4.50 delivery if I wanted it to be there on Monday!   I think I can cope with my unruly hair until Wednesday, so I declined!

4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We have two cars sitting on the drive. Do we really need both?

Just rebuilt the CRS with front and back panniers. When some semblance of normality returns, the new Lidl and Aldi on Wilford lane and Wheatcrofts island respectively, will see a lot of my custom. Two or three trips a week will get most of what we need, and the exercise should be very useful. However,  I suspect the one car we have will revert to dads taxi very soon after lockdown disappears. 

I do wish I hadn’t given my electric bike away to my son but that was before my op and I couldn’t raise my leg high enough. He reckons it’s fantastic and takes him up and down the hills in North Lancashire with very little effort. Might try again. 

The only trouble with online shopping is, i find i'm spending more, mainly because i don't have think about how i'm going to carry it home....and i wish Ebay and Amazon had never been invented....:laughing:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Have you seen the beautiful countryside in the Forest of Bowland?

my partner went to Lancaster - the campus setting includes the Trough of Bowland and nearby Morecombe.

wish I had the stamina for some rides round there.

40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Have you seen the beautiful countryside in the Forest of Bowland?

Not even seen the countryside down here! That's  lockdown for ya. 67 days.

40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Boris Johnson cut. Very fashionable. I have a similar one but in a delightful shade of grey to complement my age.

my youngest says Boris - the oldest says Derek Jacobi in I, Claudius. Hilarious. Comedians, all of them.

They reminded me on Thursday that my driving licence expires in two years. If I do nothing, does that mean that dads taxi can no longer operate?

That's not bad Brew I loved Worzel Gummidge when I was young. When I had my grandchildren I couldn't wait for them to watch the videos I had of him and Aunt Sally and the rest of the crew. My eldest grandson only mentioned him the other day but couldn't remember his name. We then went to look for something when he shouted out " look Nonna there he is" and sure enough there was the pack of videos lying on a shelf. He was thrilled to bits seeing them again. So don't think badly of your new name.

• Like 1

Sat here, minding me own business, watching telly,as you do,and a bloody ice cream van has just come sauntering by! What happened to social distancing? Can't go out or go to the shops but you can nip out and buy a bloody ice cream! Do you wear your mask when slurping it.

Hey Bigsis, my sister in law, who I've painted the churn for lives in Stapleford.

Ps. Good idea the ice cream man diversifying. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...