Auxiliary Fire Service post war

My Dad was  fire engine driver back in the early 60s. Absolutely loved it. 

Wondering if anyone knew him. His name was Ralph Darbyshire. We lived on Porchester Road. He’s the one wearing glasses. Someone on another sight thought they recognized a fellow by the name of Bert Caunt. Dad passed away December 2018 aged 87 so expecting some of these fellows are also up there in years.

FE47CDA6-2269-4BC3-AB59-3E97ACEE0801.jpeg

Welcome to this forum HeatherD please keep posting and let us know more about yourself and any memories of Nottingham , I believe that is Bert Caunt  in the centre of the front row, he passed away earlier this year aged 95.

• Upvote 1

Great old photo, it sure  does look like Bert, that 'tash' is a giveaway, but I'm surprised to see him with an AFS crew, I expect he was a trainer for them as he would be City Fire Brigade. The photo has been sent on to the retired firefighters association, wether they know any of the AFS I don't know. 

If the occasion was a joint training exercise , City and AFS, there may be a few faces recognised, here's hoping....

The one in the shirt reminds me of "crunch" Christian, is it he ?

• Upvote 1

Good link Clifton, as  I think Heather may see Ralph on the Lenton Times blow-up of the middle photo, looks like him to me , just maybe ?

Hope she gets  results anyway......

• Like 1

I must be wrong, the maths says he was born in 1931 so could not possibly be in that Lenton Times photo which is August 1941. Strange that there is only a couple of men wearing glasses and one is very very similar looking. 

Mental note to self,  don't rush into anything ………..work it out first  !

Lenton Times middle photo, 3rd row back , right hand end of photo, ( 5 or 6 in I think ). Remarkable likeness ?

• Upvote 1

Hi HeatherD a small bit of information for you a definite for the officer at the front, it is Station Officer Freddie Williams, the man in shirt sleeves is either Crunch Christian or Paul Cassidy and the one at the back is either Cliff Cairns or Bill Roberts. Memories are a bit vague due to the passing of time, the AFS was disbanded in 1968 and as I mentioned before Bert Caunt front centre passed away aged 95.

• Upvote 1

Everyone has been so helpful and I am sending you all virtual hugs.

I do hope the photo has brought back some happy memories for those who have seen it.

I am pretty sure that this picture was taken at a fire re-enactment ( London fire) that took place in Nottingham in 1966