I recall that Miss Bloom was the headmistress but I think she retired and a man took over as the Head. Teachers I remember include Miss Widdowson - Mr Saunders - Mr Anderson - Mr Gregory - Miss Maltby and Mrs Barber.

The infamous Harold Shipman was in my class but we knew him as 'Freddie Shipman'.

• Upvote 2

Hi,yes I remember Mr Saunders too, yes Freddie Shipman was at Burford and Whitmoor, I lived 4 houses from him, very well behaved, we both started infant school together, very strange to think he is the worlds most prolific serial killer, think his mum was very odd, I noticed it even as a child, happy memories of Whitemoor,

I remember Miss Mitchell,the dear lady who kidney punched me in the back for talking, aged eight, I collapsed to the floor in agony. I was still in pain some days later.

The old cow would have been sacked for that today.

Pooh Bear...yes miss Mitchell was dreadful,she put me off sewing for life, that was awful she punched you, they did get away with so much back in the day ...

Some ten years later I went to Whitemoor on an open night with a friend who had kids there.I spotted her and followed her round just staring at her.She eventually said "Can I help you?" and I just said "No"

I kept it up for another half hour then we left...she looked at me nervously several times as I never took my eyes off her.I just hope I made the old bat look over her shoulder a few times as she went home.

I never forgot that punch,it was vicious and nasty. It comes back to my mind when I read of treatment handed out to kids over the years by the nuns in some of those Catholic schools.She would have fitted in there nicely.

• 1 year later...

Katrina, yes, I went to `The Huts` on Oxclose Lane, which later became `Burford.`

I started in 1945. We had a big outdoor party, rows of tables end to end, I`d guess to

celebrate V.E. Day or whatever. A young lady was coming down my side of the table

with a plateful of what looked to me, like white apples. She got to the kid next to me

and gave him the last one. "I`ll be back with more" she said but never did. I`m still

narked about that. Meringues I learned later. Only ever eaten two ever since,

ghastly things.

Miss Bastable was the headmistress, (before the days of `Heads`) there was a

Mrs Poole, a lovely person.

On the first day, most kids will have been taken by their mums for the first and last

time. Find your own way after that. Worked well that did, for a while anyway.....

going home for dinner on the second day with my friend, we somehow ended up

playing on a small tip, sited where the Oxclose P.S. is now. Freshly dumped

gallon paint tins on there, with remains of bright blue gloss. By the time the

search party, (our two mums) found us we were well covered.

Lovely in that area at the time,a magnificent ash tree, (I know that cus teacher tode us)

in far left corner of playing field, at Oxclose/Sherbrooke corner. Sadly gone now,

according to G. Earth Street View. Delightful little stream with watercress on other

side of Oxclose, opposite the school gate.

No houses on the other side of Oxclose, just one roughly opposite the end of

Longmead, set well back from the road. Then, going West, the Oxclose pub, then

a fairly new triple Co-Op, then the tip. From the tip, the farm track, (more or less

where Beckhampton is now) led to two farms and a market gardener. The dairy

farmer up there used to leave milk churns at the corner of Edwards L.,/

Arnold Rd. junction, on the pavement for collection every morning. Imagine that

at that junction today!

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2014 at 4:16 AM, MelissaJKelly said:

Gosh Dave, fancy being in the same class as Harold Shipman! Who'd have thought!

Oh and welcome Katrina

There are lots of us out there that went to the same school and class as Shippo  

• 1 year later...

Hi! Katrina,

I attended Whitemoor Juniors at that time. I remember being taught in the annex building by Mr Anderson.

I recall Miss Maltby and  few others.

One of the male teachers, (perhaps it was hairy-faced Mr Gregory) had a liking for the girls. He would often invite girls up to his desk for them to show him their work books. His hand would move up and down their legs under their dress. Quite naively I thought he was comforting them over their shyness at being in front of the class. The girl next to said, 'dirty devil', she being far more astute and knowledgeable as to what was going on than I was! He never did invite any of the boys in the class to bring their workbooks to him!

Names like Geoffrey Dodd, (Odd Dodd) Butch Stinchcome, Ann James, Jennifer White?, Brenda Brentnall (with the plats) and in a later  year Norma Croft come to mind.

Happy days left behind so quickly. 

• 1 year later...

Remember my first ever football game against another school,,,,it was for Henry Whipple V Whitemoor on Whitemoor's school ground near the ring road,,it was about 1953,,,i was aged about 8,,,........Funny the silly things i recall...even catching the bus to get home on Valley road,,,imagine today eight year old kids left to their own devices to get Buses across different parts of Nottingham...can't remember the score that long ago Saturday morning but i do recall some of the lads in the team......Malc Unwin,,John Bridget,,John Hickman,,Geoff Jenner and Terry Dexter........we must have won......lol

• Like 1

Ben, I expect you remember this particular day because of the bus journey you made.   You must have felt very  pleased with yourself doing that at only 8 years old..

• Like 1

I suppose i was a bit spoilt compared to most other kids at my school,,,being the only one until i was about eleven,,and having a Mother that really fussed me,,,making clothes,,Liberty Bodice etc,,but when it came to going out and about i' along with the other kids of my age were given full reign,,,if dangers existed we wern't aware..........By the time we were ten or even before,,,, we visited town for such things as spending our pocket money in Woolies,,and same as i said,, travel on a couple of buses on Sat. mornings to play football and cricket against other schools..............All one big adventure....