Sign in to follow this  
philmayfield

Potting compost

We tried on Tuesday to get potting compost from local garden centres. None had any. They were awaiting deliveries. It seems during lockdown that everyone is potting up their tubs and hanging baskets. I tried the ever reliable Amazon. A big bag arrived the very next day from Scotland. I guess it’s still winter up there! I must get away from the idea of going to the shops and let them come to me.

Just spotted this.  I looked online for compost and was horrified by the prices.  I've since had supplieds delivered from a local Garden Centre which is now open anyway.

I have been purchasing potting compost from local shops and in general find it horrible stuff, nothing like years ago, it dries out to quickly and full of large lumps of bark and other material. I have just received a large bale of peat, delivered in one day from Scotland, I intend mixing it with garden soil to see if the results will be somewhat better than what I have achieved this year.

The stuff from B&Q was more like bark chippings than compost. 5 bags straight to the tip. 

Pleased some one else has the same view of modern composts as myself, I tried using mine but it ended up on the garden as a mulch.

I have also purchased 50 peat compressed plugs, I soaked them in water for a few minutes and then put lavender cuttings in them, hope these are successful as I have had very little  success with cuttings in the other compost this year.

I was middle class and watched swop shop!

very topical joke with the 'live in lover'

of 23 years!

Best Tomato's, self seeded from home compost..never took a blind taste test however..