Welcome Jomino,  there's quite a few folks on here who will no doubt answer your queries. I don't know if you've visited the Nottingham transport museum, but it's somewhere I would love to visit, ( being an ex NCT bus driver).

Once this CV19 nightmare is over, it will be on my to do list when I  visit Nottingham. Hope this will start your search off.

Jamino Welcome to N/N   

Beekay never heard of a transport museum where is it please?

That's  the one I meant CT., after somebody told me that's where NSMEE, (steam trains from Valley road) moved to, I  often look on You Tube to look at their film clips. Don't know exactly where it is in Ruddington. Obviously I  got it's name wrong, AGAIN.

The only Transport Museum I can think of is on Portland Road Hucknall in the old Trent Bus Depot. I visited once on one of  its open days and it was full of old double decker buses some restored and some still under restoration.

Just had a look Den., can't see much worth going out me way for. That's when I eventually do get up to Nottingham for a visit. More interested in the one at Ruddington, they  have steam trains there, three gauges. 

They actually have 4 gauges. NSMEE have 3½". 5" and 7¼". Then the museum itself has full sized stuff that they are hoping to get through to Loughborough one day when the bridge is built.  Its well a visit especially if you go when NSMEE have a steaming day.

Oh and hello Jomino  :)

I find the history of rail gauges fascinating. It was only in 1995 that all mainland capital were joined by the standard gauge railway.

Even today in South Australia the interstate trains (standard gauge) cannot get into the main station in Adelaide as the suburban network runs on "broad gauge" 5 ft 3" and even more stupidly when they do upgrades and build new lines they do not convert them to standard gauge. I do notice that the new lines have sleepers that can accommodate standard gauge.

Thanks for the update Piano Man. It's the three smaller gauges I'm interested in, although wouldn't rule out the big stuff. I used to be the secretary of the 'Tonbridge Model Engineering Society Ltd'. back in 89/91, (posted a picture of my lad driving a 040 diesel shunter). Alas, I sort of lost interest after my son died in 1990. Stayed for a couple more years then sort of faded out, no more enthusiasm. Still love steam though so will visit the centre when I can eventually come up. Cheers mate.