So ,not all bad news fom Nottingham.

Professor Sir Clive Granger, who died on May 27 aged 74, was a Nobel prize-winning economist whose work on analysing economic data was credited with improving the forecasting performance of the Treasury and the Bank of England

At West Bridgford grammar school, he showed promise as a mathematician and foresaw a career in insurance or meteorology. At the University of Nottingham he was among the original intake for the first joint degree course in Economics and Mathematics. When he graduated with a First in 1955, Granger stayed on to become a lecturer in Statistics, gaining his PhD in 1959.

Granger was knighted in 2005. In the same year, to mark his Nobel achievement, Nottingham University's Economics and Geography department premises were renamed the Sir Clive Granger Building.

• 7 years later...

In the 1960s I knocked about with a nice guy called Roger Bates (Bash to his friends).

Anyone know what happened to him?

• 2 years later...

Looking for former pupils of West Bridgford grammar school. 

I di used to have a lovely school photo taken around 1967 or 8  of the whole school  however it was loaned to someone years ago and never returned sadly but I would live to locate one that I could possibly copy. 

I would also be happy to share memories of attending that school 

There's a group on Facebook called West Bridgford Grammar School 1968.  Also on their page, is a photo from 1969.  Too small to see, but the person who posted it offers to send a copy to anyone who wants it.  However, his post WAS in 2010! He still seems to be on FB, though

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2018 at 11:25 AM, Beverley plume said:

Looking for former pupils of West Bridgford grammar school.   I di used to have a lovely school photo taken around 1967 or 8  of the whole school  however it was loaned to someone years ago and never returned sadly but I would live to locate one that I could possibly copy. 

I would also be happy to share memories of attending that school 

Hi Beverly - what year did you leave ?  We have a Facebook page for 1959-66. Only low res pics allowed on this site so can't upload .

Any ex pupils 1959 - 1966 please get in touch

Thanks

Alan

Welcome to Nottstalgia Alan Brindley.

If you want to post any photos here, ignore the lo-res limitation feature - which is useless - and use one of the free image hosting sites.

But bear in mind Beverley Plume has not been back here since July 2018 so she may not see your message.

• 1 year later...

I was at West Bridgford Grammar from 1966-1973. Can remember the most amazing history teacher Mr. Emerson and the head teacher Miss Latham who used to measure the girls skirts as to how high they were above the knee! Also a lovely cello teacher Mrs Lavelle who had a terrier dog she used to bring with her. We used to have lessons with her in a small classroom near the hard tennis court. Also a maths teacher who had a habit of throwing blackboard rubbers. Also the Bunsen burners in the science lab which were used to good effect when we had visitors round to cause explosions by the chemistry teacher. 

Happy days!

Mrs B, I think Mrs Lavelle may have been a peripatetic music teacher because I remember the name from Carlton Le Willows Grammar in the 60s.  In fact she may have been the cello player who toppled off a makeshift stage during school assembly one morning.  We cruel kids thought it hilarious, the poor lady was very embarrassed but fortunately unhurt.  

• Upvote 1