• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try not to think about it Ian. I do feel for my wife as she gets upset on Mothers day. My biggest regret is that we'll never be grandparents. Said before on here that I've advertised for anyone who

Sorry to hear that BK hope you have some fond memories. Our grandson was born with a diaphramatic hernia he was given five percent chance to live he was in an induced coma but by a miracle he survived

There simply aren’t as many people here as there were a few years ago.   Some of the people who used to generate/create new material have either disappeared or lost interest.  Other members

Hi bk   can't say where every one gone but !!! I can tell you 

Where all the flowers have gone 

Young girls have picked them every one

OH!!!  When will they ever learn 

just thought I would add

this bit of nonsense.

On 4/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, mary1947 said:

Where all the flowers have gone 

Young girls have picked them every one

OH!!!  When will they ever learn

One of Pete Seegers better known "protest" songs. He wrote some great music such as If I Had A Hammer, Kisses Sweeter Than Wine and the Byrds hit Turn, Turn, Turn where I think the words have a biblical origin and a song often played on Children's Favourites, Little Boxes mad famous by Burl Ives.

The lyrics of the 'Turn, turn, turn' song were inspired by the Bible.  Ecclesiastes chapter 3

• Like 1

Oz, there are several ... I knew some and and looked up others.

'Writing on the wall' written by Sam Smith for the Bond film 'Spectre'. The title is from Daniel chapter 3

'Hallelujah' written by Leonard Cohen, has some strange lyrics, but it is thought to refer to David the Psalmist playing music for King Saul.  Also the song seems to mention the cutting of Samson's hair by Delilah!

'Where is the love' by the Black eyed peas mentions 'turning the other cheek' which are Jesus' words about how Christians are supposed to treat people who treat them badly

'By the rivers of Babylon' Boney M  This is about the time the Israelites were in captivity in Babylon and were singing songs about their real homeland in Jerusalem (Zion)

'Gangster's paradise' by Coolio starts with words from Psalm 23

The song '40 ' by U2 is taken directly from Psalm 40

I'm sure there are more but I think this will do :) 

• Like 1

I was a massive fan of Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Queen. What great songwriters. Also The Bee Gees, used to have a photo of Barry on the inside of my wardrobe door, very retro. Before the pandemic went to see Barry (on his own obvs) and Paul Simon. Paul wasn’t that brilliant I have to say but Barry was good. Also Fleetwood Mac who were amazing and very lucky to see all the original members, before Buckingham left. Have seen Queen many times with Freddie, Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert (he is so good). Rodders of course is the ultimate showman.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 10:46 PM, MRS B said:

Also Fleetwood Mac who were amazing and very lucky to see all the original members, before Buckingham left.

Not the originals Mrs B.  Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer were the true originals.  The line up you are talking about didn't happen until mid 70's - a mere 47 years ago!!!! 

• Like 1

Ooh sorry second originals. Mid seventies I would have been coming up to 20 so that’s the set up I remember.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

I wonder why ?

There simply aren’t as many people here as there were a few years ago.

Some of the people who used to generate/create new material have either disappeared or lost interest.  Other members log in, see nothing new since their last visit, and go away again.  The site drops into a vicious circle.  And that doesn’t generate any new material, nor does it resurrect older posts.

The majority of visitors are browsers who might occasionally make a comment;  but mostly they just look at what other people say, and that doesn't move the site forwards.

• Like 5

I’ve been thinking where’s everybody gone for a couple of days, (obvs we’ve all been busy!) have collected my seed potatoes this morning which are now sitting in egg trays ready to chit. 40 Charlottes to be divided between 5 blue IKEA bags in March. Also some Red Baron and Centurion onions, some of which I will put in my polytunnel next to the garlic which is doing well now. Too cold and wet to plant any outside at the moment.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I suppose the bots are collecting information for the AI companies to use?  Someone I know has registered with one of the AI sites and he showed me what it could do.  Firstly he asked it to produce a short sermon on love and redemption.  It took only a few seconds to do this and, in my opinion, it was really good.  I then asked it to create a poem on seaside holidays in the 1950s.  This took a little longer - about 15 seconds - presumably because it had to be a rhyming poem.  It was excellent!!

I haven’t registered on the site because even though it’s very clever stuff, it worries me……

I expect schoolkids will try make good use of it to write their essays though!

Apparently  you can ask it to write in the style of a 10 year old for example.

It doesn’t use straight ‘copy and paste’ btw but amalgamates all the information it has accumulated to create something completely new.

Scary ….