Santa Fe' (St Faith's) Club Mundella Road, The Meadows

Foxy,

Brought back some memories. I remember Tony Gleadhall-did his family own the shop on the top of Woolmer road ?

Recall the Booths-i think they moved to live at Wilford. I have a picture of GM

some where-we all went on a school trip tp Paris in 1961. Will try to find it.

Went by the old school some 2 months back. Still the same. Brought back happy memories

kind regards

Tony

Tony Paine

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo of St Faith's interior.

hi foxy, I remember Lesley knight very well . when we were at T.B. juniors together. I was in a gang which consisted of me (don walker) graham shooter, David loydall, and Lesley knight . some of th

St. Faith's church, The Meadows.

Posted Images

Ayup Foxy, yep, your talking about all my old teenage mates, drinking buddies. There was also Stu Stenson who lived off London Road too!!

John moved to Wilford as Tony posted, his Dad had an wholesale Sunday Newspaper business there and Johnnie worked with him delivering to all the newsagents shops around Wilford, Clifton and West Bridgeford when he wasn't working overtime at Cotgrave pit.

I lost contact with Glen and Stu after I married the first time around, kept in touch with Boothy though.

He married a girls we all nicknamed "Clarence" after the cross eyed lion! They eventuall went to Zambia, where John worked on a contract for a few years. He and his wife tried hard to persuade me and the first wife to go with them.

He dropped by after he had returned, around 1972 or thereabouts. Then not long after that my ex and myself and kids moved north to North Yorks to live and work, I lost contact with him after that.

He used to live on Lamorna Drive in Wilford when I first knew him, I'd love to make contact with him, if he's still alive!!! Been many years now!

I had a letter from Clem a couple of years back now, his son Jason passed a message on to him and his wife Sheila for me. They still live in Cotgrave, though not at the house where they first lived after they got married!

Thanks for the correction Tony, it was Grove not Drive as I posted. Been a long time!

I have searched high and low for John Booth, he seems to have gone into the woodwork. Maybe he migrated to another country?

His Brother in Law, Bill (Lou) Blair, who married Johns Sister, lives somewhere on the Cotgrave Estate. An ex Cotgrave fitter contacted me and said he would ask his Dad who lives near Lou, to ask Lou to email me. The feller let me down!

I have searched the telephone white pages for both "Lou" Blair and John Booth to no avail..

• 4 years later...

The Aces Bikers used to go to the Santa Fe in 63 and 64, the music was pop and rock and roll. The local Bikers also went there, they were the Meadows Saints. On saturdays, there would some times be a band playing, the Avengers played quite often.

Thats interesting.

When I left school in 68, it was a Soul and Motown club.

It became predominantly a Black club around that time, and we stopped going in favor of the Palais,

due street robberies, in the Meadows (on Club nights), for cash and clothing, such as Wrangler Jackets.

I have been in Touch with Terry Hefford who ran the club at that time.

Further information about the club has not been forthcoming.

It was a church club, and only sold soft drinks.

I would be interestede in its history prior to 1968.

In 63 and 64 we Aces went there on saturday nights, we also went one night in the week, I cannot recall which. The pop music of the time was exceptional, Beatles, Stones, Johnny Kidd and all the scouse bands. It was 100% white in those days, no street crime, just the occassional one on one scrap.

Many of the Aces were from the Meadows, among them Johnny Coombes, Pete Truman, Bonneville Steve, and Kenny 'Runt' come to mind.

The Meadows Saints were a good set of lads, unfortunately their leading light Mick Clarke was killed late 63, he swerved to avoid a drunk on Alfreton Road and hit a bus,his girlfriend Sue Hannigan was riding pillion,she also died.

1963 was the year I came to Nottingham, I was in the Juniors at that time.

We lived in the meadows on holgate road in a one room flat for a while before moving to Radford.

The aces rings a bell with me, The bikers I knew of at that time hung at the Outlaws Bar, Trent Bridge.

Late 60's to early 70's we frequented the Slipper, west bridgeford with tracks like Johnny Remember me,

Ghost Riders in the Sky, and LuLu's Shout. Live Groups were Sons & Lovers, Across (6AX) etc.

I was DJ there Early 70's. I rember Bikers there about 1968.

We bikers went to the Dancing Slipper in the mid sixties, we always went there after the Skeggy trips at bank holidays, as well as other times.Also went to the Town Arms as it was then called.

The DJ's at the Slipper at that time, would probably ave been 'Mad Mike' Burdette.

and I cant think of the other guys name.

Mick,

Re Sante Fe Youth club

I think it first opened in 1962. I used to go to St Faiths Chuch and the vicar at that time- Revd Whalley was trying to encourage more young people to come to church. He decided to have the disco on a Sunday night at 7.30pm after the evening service. It did attract more young people to come to church albeit a rather mixed bunch which some

of the congregation complained about. So it was discontinued. I started to go to Sante Fe in 1963- the Theakstones, Tony Lander, Arthur Clarke etc would all meet up on a Thursday and Saturday evening. It opened at 7.30pm untill 9.30pm. As mentioned just soft drinks. Coca cola was 9 pence-good old money of course!. Had some very good groups on. Last went 1966.

Michael Clarke died as mentioned in 1963- Saturday Novemeber 22nd. I was with his brother Arthur when Mick and Sue left Sante Fe. Both died at NGH. We had two minutes silence at school on the Monday.

Kind regards

Tony

Cant remember the prices Tony except, water was free.

Not the fancy bottled water of today, good old tap water.

When it was used to throw over the girls they started

charging 1d a cup.

Cant remember the prices Tony except, water was free.

Not the fancy bottled water of today, good old tap water.

When it was used to throw over the girls they started

charging 1d a cup.

I have sent you a pm in resonse to yous but it would seem that I have not succeeded. Did you receive it?

• 10 months later...

I remember the place 1968/69 they played a lot of chart stuff and always seemed to finish off the night with "what becomes of the broken hearted" The lighting was ok if you didn't have dandruff lol. Early seventies i worked with Terry Hefford at Pannels sign makers at Basford.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

got a photo of jonnie booth hanging in the bikers barat whitehartremember him a bit but did not realy know him im sure some of the old guys will rememberhim wellbig mick marriott remembers him but does not know were he is know but ill ask one or two of the others if they know if you still looking for him ahyupmeduck

• 1 year later...

I didn't know the place so this is only guesswork, but was it really on Mundella Road? If I've got the right place, it seems to be on Collygate Road

mund.jpg

Picture the Past have several photos of the area, but I don't think any show the tin shed.

This one shows "the site of St Faith's Parish room" which may be the best you'll get.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005409&prevUrl=

This seems to show the church which I assume is St Faith's.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM005407&prevUrl=

I can't make this fit with the map; I think PTP caption may be wrong.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM018910&prevUrl=

And this at least looks like a tin shed, or a school.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM018911&prevUrl=

• 2 weeks later...

The last two pictures are of the later Collygate Infants down the end of Mundella Rd. The church hall ( Santa fa ) stood on the weed patch in the first picture. I lived just round the corner.

• 4 weeks later...

hi foxy, I remember Lesley knight very well . when we were at T.B. juniors together. I was in a gang which consisted of me (don walker) graham shooter, David loydall, and Lesley knight . some of the things we got up to!! not to put a too finer point on it we were a bloody nuisance to the teachers ,we were always getting into trouble! I wonder what happened to the others?. you say Lesley is inn oz .Does any body know what he or the others are doing is for a living? We were all told we were not fit to empty dust bins, I for one ended up with a degree in electronics. tell you what we were always getting the strap that kept us in line a bit I can tell you!! regards don walker.

• Upvote 1

hi,ayupmeducs, good handle is that, hey this Barry Clements did he go to fairham comperensive in Clifton, because I knew a lad there he was in my class .we were good mates. would love to hear from him. regards don.