Santa Fe' (St Faith's) Club Mundella Road, The Meadows

Does anyone remember this small wooden building with a tin roof.
between The Mundella school, and the church?

in the mid to late 60's, they played Soul, Motown and Ska music.
There was no licence as it was on church premises.
An electrician from the meadows area ran it ?

I think it was open Tuesday & Thursday nights till around 10.30pm.

The walls were decorated with 'monsters' copied of chewing gum cards.
It was lit only by UV lights. If you got there early enough, you could watch Top of The Pops on a Small sceen TV on the ceiling. There was a small counter that sold pop chocolate and crisps etc. If you were skint they would give you a plastic cup of water. When people started throwing water at each other, they priced it at 1d(one old penny)

I believe it closed down around 1970.The building survived in its
original form complete with decor till the mid 80's.

Anyone have any memories of this club?
Particularly the music tracks played there ?
Anyone got any photo's of the place ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a photo of St Faith's interior.

hi foxy, I remember Lesley knight very well . when we were at T.B. juniors together. I was in a gang which consisted of me (don walker) graham shooter, David loydall, and Lesley knight . some of th

St. Faith's church, The Meadows.

Posted Images

The Santa Fe was my introduction to pop music and girls.

As a Meadows lad born and bred I can remember plucking up the courage with a couple of mates to pay and enter what was really the corrugated iron church hall of Saint Faith's church.

Kids came from all over Nottingham to listen to the records spun by Terry Hefford who used to live on Bunbury Street between the bus sheds and Bathley Street (near Booth's Newsagents).

The records I particularly remember hearing are "Come On" by the Stones.(July 1963), "Chapel of Love" - Dixie Cups and the ever increasing diet of marvellous 60's stuff from the Liverpool groups.

A great place from which I "graduated" to the Palais, the Vic (Locarno), the Dungeon, Boat Clubs, the Beachcomber etc.

Great days, wonderful memories

Malc Fox (ex Trent Bridge Juniors, Mundella and Wilford Crescent West)

Hello Malc & Welcome

I am very grateful for your input on this. I have been trying to find more about the club for years. Yes I remember the name now. Terry Hefford.

I did not know that the club existed as early as 63, or the genre of music other than Soul/Ska music played around 68.

I have spent my time since 68 collecting the music that was played there. Motown/Stax/Atlantic type stuff was easy. Some of the rarer cuts I got but only the coming of the Internet and P2P did I manage to get more, some of them even then with difficulty. I still have gaps in my collection.

Some of my favorites

Freedom Train -James Carr

Backfield in motion - Mel & Tim

3 time loser - Wilson Picket

Shing a ling stroll - Eddy Wilson

Funky Broadway ain't funky no more - Bobby Patterson

I will think of more soon no doubt.

The Fe' shape my musical tastes to this day. I went on to DJ at the Slipper, and Tally Ho Club Ilkeston Road. The Tally ho was a Jamaican Club which still exists today (The Drum?). A white DJ playing Jamaican Chart in a Black Club!.

Working 8-5 as an electrician, 7-30-11, at the Slipper, and 11-30 till 0200, took its toll. The Tally Ho had to go. I was told I was sadly missed by the punters B)

TB 1 you will remember Miss Slack then. And you deserted us for Mundella ;)

I wonder if w will get any more from Mundella here or The Becket School for that matter?

Anyway please let us have more of your Meadows memories.

Malc Fox (ex Trent Bridge Juniors, Mundella and Wilford Crescent West)

Malc

I have now created Mundella School forums, If you know any ex pupils, they would be welcome to Join

Malc Fox ex Trent Bridge Juniors, Mundella and Wilford Crescent West

I lived at 129 Wilford Crescent West, from 1970-1975.

Next door lived Cyril Henstock, Who was the Cobbler with the small shop on Arkwright Street just below Midland Station.

I went to TB with his son Ken, Who last I heard of him, was an electrician at Blackburn & Starling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re the shop on the photograph (corner of Mundella Road and Wilford Crescent East)

I can only remember it as a sweetshop.

Odd story coming up - my mate Leslie Knight used to live in the house next to the shop (mid 50's).

I have been a season ticket holder at Forest for years. A guy called Ron has sat behind me for the last 10 years at least. I knew he travelled from Diss (Norfolk) for every home game but never knew he came from the Medders until one day I said "I've seen better football on the Embankment Rec" and he said "so have I. I used to play football there when I was a kid". Says I "Are you from the Medders ?" "Yes" he replies "I used to live on Mundella Road". "Mundella Road ? I had a big mate there - used to live next door to the shop on the corner of Wilford Crescent East". "What was his name" he says. "Leslie Knight" I replied. "Well" he says "I'm, his brother Ron. I was away in the army when you were knocking about with our Les"

To cut a long story short (relatively anyway) Leslie is now in Oz and I was able to give Ron a scanned school photo from Collygate Infants with me and Leslie on it.

Small world eh ?

Foxy

Foxy

I am sure that picture would be of interest to visitors here.

Any chance that you can you either email it to me or post it here.

I will use it to start a Collygate School Forum.

The shop on the far corner left of picture was a paper shop. The one on the near corner left of picture behind phone box, was a post office.

The shop in the foreground you mention, was a Junk shop in the 60's, as far as I can Remember?

Just to the right of the right hand tree was an old 2 story school type building, possibly part of The Collygate school.

This was occupied by Temples or Tempest? Photo printers. They used to do the Schools photo's including TB's group photos.

Mick

Yes the building on the left was a post office (corner of Wilford Crescent East). It was once occupied by Leslie Crowther (C-R-A-C-K-E-R-J-A-C-K) - well his mum and dad and him when a kid really.

In the 60's the newsagents opposite was run by the Allington's. I went to Collygate Infants and TB Juiors with one of their sons Danny.

Yes Temple Prinitng used to do the school photies - I will submit one or two from Collygate and TB in due course,

(Bye the bye, what an excellent site this is, well done)

Foxy

Thank You Foxy.

The Forums, are only what people like yourself make them.

Look forward to more of your memories of Nottingham in the Forums.

Check back regularly, and hit that "View New Posts" Link

Don't forget to subscribe to Forums or Topics of Interest, to receive email notifications of postings.

• 3 months later...

We certainly had cameras,but I don't think our parents would have trusted us to take them to the Thursday night disco do you? Anyway it would have been very uncool to be seen carrying a camera in those days don't ya think?? I would love to see a pic of the old Fe' though if anyone has one.

Caz.

Ya never know Caz.

Can you remember the Pictures on the wall of the Fe'?,

cartoon monsters that were copies of a series of chewing gum cards available in

the early 60's.

the cards had a normal character on the front, when you turned it over, it

transformed into a monster with bulging eyes. Anyone used to collect em?

Bet they would fetch a packet on Ebay nowadays!

Can't say I remember exactly what the pics on the walls were like,but I do remember they were flourescent, & I got a big shock when the lights came on. Did you ever wonder why all the girls tried to wear something white to the Fe'? LOL

Caz

Some of my old mates used to go to the Santa Fa during the 60's lost contact with them years ago, Johnnie Booth, Stuart "Sten" Stenson, Barry "Clem" Clements, Glen ??? Anyone remember them or what has happened to them? Been trying to find Boothy, Sten and Glen for ages, no one seems to know what happened to them. Boothy went to Mundella, Sten went to Deering School. Found Clem a couple of years back through his son.

Let me introduce myself being as I'm a newbie here. I lived in the "medders" in the 60's at Osman Terrace on Briers Street opposite Hosene factory, and on Kirke White Street East later on. Served most of my electrical apprenticeship at Clifton Colliery. Worked with the Shaws, Tom and Bill, plus Bill's oldest Son Trev and his youngest son too. Some may recall the Shaw family of the "medders" big family.

My name is John Waudby, I now live stateside after living in Oz for ten years. Left Nottingham around 1975 to live in North Yorks where I worked until Leaving the UK for good.

Most of my upbringing was in the St Anns area off St Anns Well Road, but Mum and Dad moved to the Meadows about 1960 where we lived until I was about 22 and the area was condemned and the council moved us all over, we ended up at Clifton Estate.

My old local was the Sir Richard Arkwright, on Arkright Street, anyone recall the old pub??? I used to have a beer or two in the "Stute" but got fed up with more coal being cut there than "dahn pit" so avoided it like the plague!

Enough I hear, were are getting bored!

John

Did you see the pic of Santa Fe' John?

Changed a bit hey? That was taken in 2000.

It was interesting to read your profile,what year did you leave school & where in Australia did you live? Hope you find your long lost mates, we did just that last year in Nottingham & it was fantastic, we had a ball catching up on everything we had done since we had left Trent Bridge Seniors.

Caz

Again, John Welcome

Where in the States?

If your in LA you can mek us a brew! :rolleyes:

No wouldn't catch me dead in LA mate, 'cept to catch a plane out :blink:

We did live in Sacramento for a few years, we are in south central Missouri, the missus's home state, ten miles due east of the county seat of Alton way out in the sticks, where we don't need planning permission or planning permits to do what we want on our own land. $54 a year land taxes on 80 acres too :o Gas is lots cheaper than California too :rolleyes: Life is safer and hardly any crime, 'cept some kids doing 75mph down the main highway :ph34r:

Bloody Claifornia :P we paid a couple of grand for a years land taxes there on ten acres of mountain country...Where a water well permit cost $3000, exorbitant car registration, gas and other high costs of living, not to mention crime so rampant it paid to have a concealed weapons permit :(

Nahhhh, like living here in Gods country :D

Caz, used to live in Bathurst NSW, worked over near Lithgow for the NSW Eletricity Commission as an electrician down one of their pits before it was all sold off. I spent a couple of years in Wollongong too.

Where in Vic do you live??? My cuz has a winery at Cassilus in north east Vic, helped him build his house several years back. Been all around East Gippsland, so know the area pretty well, and suspect as you said north east Vic you must be around that area.

Caz, never went to the Santa Fay, so have no idea where it was or looked like. Went straight to the pubs where I spent a better part of my youth playing darts, drinking Shippos best...OOOOO the next morning though! Bog gotta a beating :o

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello Ayupmeducks. A bit late with this response but I used to knock about with Barry Clements in the early sixties. He was a year above me at Trent Bridge and went on to Greenwood before going down Cotgrave Pit.

We used to "tazz" around on his Triumph Tiger Cub - a trip to Skeggy in '63 comes vividly to mind.

We would hang around the green hut on the embankment with a crowd of mates in'63. Haven't seen him since then but he was a good mate and boy was he a big lad.

The "Glen" you refer to was probably Glen Mackay who lived on Bathley Street near Wilford Crescent. I took over his co-op delivery round in '63 - a la Granville.

John Booth was another mate. His mum and dad ran the newsagents on the corner of Bunbury Street and Bathley Street. His mum's maiden name was Chester and her family ran the shop from her childhood days. I know this because my mum went to school with Johnny's mum (Trent Bridge Girls in the 1920's). My Mam is 95 and still lives down the Meadows - same house since 1913.

Johnny and I both went to Mundella after Trent Bridge we also belonged to the 94th Trent Bridge Scout Troop and I will try and find an image of Johnny, Tony Rickard and Tony Gleadall taken at camp at St Austell in 1960.

My most vivid memory associated with Johnny Booth is a game of snooker in our top room on Wilford Crescent. I played a shot raised my cue in triumph and broke the glass lamp shade above my head. It smashed and fell on my face causing a huge gash under my eye. Me and Johnny dashed downstairs to get some first aid. Me dad went to phone an ambulance whilst mum attempted to staunch the bleeding. Johnny grabbed the coal scuttle and said he was going to fetch some coal in for me mam from the coal shed at the bottom of the yard and out he went. It was July - Johnny left the coal scuttle on the yard and disappeared home. Don't blame him - I could never stand the sight of blood either ! He told me later that he realised his mam wanted him back home. A good pal was Johnny - haven't seen him since around '63.