" Smile " Make my Day

Beekay 

HA HA    you made my day x

Tai Chi Moring see you all later 

just missed out an N

Following the latest directive from Boris I have manufactured my own facemask, and believe it or not my long absent sex appeal would appear to have returned along with it.

Recently discussing with a friend this anomaly of attractive females being seemingly unable to get close enough to me, he advised that if  I was certain these damsels were not from Age Concern I should consider a full face covering, which would perhaps then make me totally irresistible . I have always considered envy and jealousy to be unattractive traits.

I will continue to monitor the situation however, and if in the meantime you require any advice on making your own "PPE" from two elastic bands and a folded bank statement do not hesitate to contact me. 

• Like 5

Oz, I love that song and/but whenever I hear it I'm reminded of the funeral of an employee several years ago.  There'd been a church service in Sedgefield County Durham and then many of us trouped cross-country to the local Crem.  On arrival the widow was sitting on a bench outside smoking a cannabis joint, and was being urged by the funeral director to finish it.  Finally, as the coffin was carried into the chapel to this song, the widow followed it, dancing, singing  and swinging her arms about!  The most unusual funeral we've ever been to but really amusing memories!  

A bit of 'an ham tea' back at their house where she tried to persuade us to adopt his 15 ft snake that was in a great big glass box attached to the sitting room wall!   We declined.  

Never seen or heard from her again! 

• Like 1

The last few days have been sad for me but yesterday something brought a smile to my face. 

I was looking out of the kitchen window and spotted a few sparrows have a shower in the water sprinklers. They were really enjoying it, they fluttered their wings and flew away only to come back bringing others with them. I tried to take some photos but they were a bit too far away to really see them.

• Like 4

In that case Nonna, I  will pm you to check if I've got the right email address. Didn't want to post openly.

• 1 year later...

A belated "Happy New Year" to one and all.

The posting by radfordred about getting people back to work mirrors my own sentiments and brought to mind a distant character from my childhood.

Around 1956/7, in an outlying market town of Notts, lived a man whose real name I remember, but for the protection of any of his living relatives I will call Snowy which was the name by which we knew him.

Aged around sixty and allergic to work on a level comparable with Novak Djokovic and vaccines, he was affable, certainly not dim, but unfortunately bone idle. It was rumoured that once when asked about his last position of authority he replied "School Milk Monitor", and when it was suggested that he had never done a days paid work in his life he emphatically denied this and said that he had once been a fitter working on zeppelins.

After many years of peaceful signing on, a new manager at the local labour exchange one day advised Snowy that he had found a job suitable for him.  To break such bad news to the lad, without a long meandering run up, was too much for the gentle soul and his legs weakened, buckled and he fell to the floor. Subsequently refreshed and renewed by brandy administered in the said managers office, fully invigorated Snowy had dodged a bullet and went on claiming for many years to come.

Famous in the market town and environs, he entered a competition run by a local cinema for who could tell the tallest story, the winner to receive £20. Mounting the stage as the final raconteur Snowy waited for silence from the audience before commencing "I, Snowy, after lengthy and deep soul searching , have decided to recommence work". Succinct, short and to the point the audience erupted and Snowy had won the prize.

The cinema manager said that if he had a further story of similar calibre he would win an additional £20 to which Snowy replied "If I am fortunate enough to win the second £20 I will donate the first £20 to charity".

Do such people still exist ?. Your comments are invited.

• Like 2

Nottingham used to have many 'characters' though mainly known for appearance rather than actually doing anything.

The only orators I can think of are a preacher and John Peck in the old Market Square. Every Sunday the preacher would drag his lectern to the middle of the square and, despite being the wrong side of retirement and alone, always started with “I am a group of young people”.

John Peck, an interesting and very brave man, was a passionate communist, he had to be to stand the heckling he had from the great unwashed when he started his speech.

• Like 1

Living & driving buses in Bulwell I got to know John very well.

A decorated WW2 bomber pilot who had time for everyone.

Loved to see him standing on Bulwell market around local election time.

Bulwell is a much poorer place without him.

Then there was Boris the Bulwell tramp, well documented on here.

PAP-PAP an elderly man who regularly caught a bus on Hyson Green who suffered terribly with Tourettse Syndrome.

Without warning on the bus he would suddenly shout at the top of his voice PAP PAP PAP PAP.  When wasn't shouting he spoke beautifully.

Life can & is cruel sometimes.

It's surprising how many politicians of all hues suffer from the same unfortunate affliction. Once they get into the House of Commons, they commence bellowing all manner of utter rubbish at each other.  Sad, really.  Sounds much better with the volume turned off!

• Like 1