1960s Coffee Bars

3 hours ago, fogrider said:

Bamboo was right up Mansfield Road, on the left ,maybe a hundred yards or so before the lights at Forest Road. 

That's what I remember of it, fogrider. I frequented it regularly with mrs WW-to-be in '70/'71 after evenings out and on our way home (via a secret lay-by).:Friends:

• 4 months later...

I can't get past the idea there were two Kardomah's.  One somewhere off Parliament St.  Upstairs as I recall.. but my recall of Nottm streets is fading fast.  We were fab and trendy around 66-68 and drank Lemon Tea .

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I can't get past the idea there were two Kardomah's.  

I've done a bit of digging in old phone books.....

In 1958, there was one, at 28 Clumber Street.  In 1964 there were two, 30 Market Street and 12 King Street.

• Like 1

I think the one in Market Strteet is where we went a lot in the late 60s.  I seem to recall a cinema a little lower down on the orther side.  Cannon?

• 1 month later...

I remember going in a couple of times with my best friend and feeling very out of our depth. Hot chocolate 1 shilling and served in those bowl type cups popular in coffee houses, very posh to a pair of snotty nosed 14yr olds.

• Like 1

Anyone remember the 'MOO COW'  near Midland Station ?  used it 1960/61 because it had a 'Juke Box''  think its still there  ''Moo Cow'' not the juke box..............

• Like 1

Talking of Coffee houses     remember Max Bygraves  '''Fings ain't what they used to be'''

''Once our Beer was froffy...but now its Froffy Coffee'''    1960

'There used to Trams not going quick  ,,but got ya from place to place............Carnie   !!!!

• Like 1

The MooCow had a record on the  jukebox called City of Tears. The motorbikers  put threepence in, press the button then dash out to their bikes. The idea was race up Arkwright St round the turn at Trent Bridge and back before the record ended - it did not go well.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

'There used to Trams not going quick  ,,but got ya from place to place............Carnie   !!!!

But now there's just jams Half a mile thick.........Soz benj, had to look that one up.:biggrin:

• Like 1